Best place to buy a domain?

Associate
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a .co.uk domain name for my small business but not sure which company is best to use? Also, is it ideal to hide the registration details as well?

Soldato
I use amazon AWS because I like the interface for dns settings, you could probably get it cheaper elsewhere though.

You need to display your address and company number on your website, so it probably doesnt matter if you have that showing on registration details.

Associate
Where you buy it is often not the point as prices tend to be much of a muchness. Do however look out for where you host it. For instances GoDaddy can be cheap to buy the domain in the first place but what they don't make obvious is their servers are in Arizona. This can have a very negative impact on your SEO

beh

beh

Associate
Gandi for domain, cloudflare for DNS. Both support 2FA which I think is important. You get a lot for free from cloudflare including basic DDOS protection/CDN if you want it and they also support DNSSEC.

Associate
I personally would not buy a domain name from a host, for co.uk I have always used 123-reg.co.uk easy to set or disable auto renew easy to change nameservers

bought my first domain from godaddy the other day. was only £5 for a .rocks domain. wish i had never bothered. endless supply of junk, i'm being emailed from not just godaddy but 100% they sold my details.

the ****s

would never buy from again

Soldato
bought my first domain from godaddy the other day. was only £5 for a .rocks domain. wish i had never bothered. endless supply of junk, i'm being emailed from not just godaddy but 100% they sold my details.

the ****s

would never buy from again

Are you sure? I bought a new domain the other day from TSOHOST and literally within an hour I was getting spam emails from various companies asking me to pay them for SEO, website design, etc, etc.

Soldato
I've used Namecheap for years. Can't complain and the prices are very good.

Namecheap for domains and WHOIS protection.
Digital Ocean for my old sites and DNS.
Linode for my current and active sites.

Soldato
I used to use Linode, but I switched to OVH as they are better specs and lower prices

You should check Linode out again. They have just added a $5 VPS with 1GB or RAM, 20GB SSD, 1TB Transfer and 1 CPU core. The other plans are obviously better. I'm very happy with Linode now that their new prices have come out. I can move my legacy sites from Digital Ocean back to Linode now.

Soldato
VPS SSD 1

• OpenStack KVM
  • 1 vCore
  • 2.4 GHz
  • 2 GB RAM
  • 10 GB SSD
    Local RAID 10
£2.49 ex. VAT/month
(or £2.99 incl. VAT)

Guess it's a trade off between RAM and storage with OVH & Linode with that new $5 tier.

Next time I need a new VPS spining up I will reconsider Linode, too much of a PITA to move over what I have running for such a similar service!

Back
Top Bottom