RC cars

Soldato
Jase;30500394 said:
That's interesting as that's the bit I was refering to in my first post when I saw a lot on youtube flipping over after wheelie all the time.

What did you change it for?

Hobao Hyper7, converted to electric and heavily modified.

But also have a Kyasho DRX VE rally which is really fun and a Hotboddies Lightning 2 truggy :D

Soldato
hyperseven;30500463 said:
Hobao Hyper7, converted to electric and heavily modified.

But also have a Kyasho DRX VE rally which is really fun and a Hotboddies Lightning 2 truggy :D

So you went from the Truggy to a buggy, mmmm no helping my decision making lol

Soldato
Jase;30500116 said:
Thanks Ill check out MSUK.

I'm not sure buying a kit is a great idea for me to start, I mean it's a good idea but I'm sure I'd mess it up so probabl looking at a RTR.

Based on the above what Losi would you recommend? is the Traxxas Rustler VXL a decent car.

Wheelspin do a 3S pack with charger that could be ok : http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/253242/

As for racing, nothing planned only against friends if I can talk anyone into buying one :)

You wont go wrong with a Traxxas, either a rustler or stampede vxl is a great entry. If you can afford a 4x4 Stampede vxl then they are great fun.

You can spend more, you can spend less but there is a limit to how fast you can drive a 1/10th scale before its impending death. Speed runs at 60 mph are fun for a while but off road, circa 30-40mph is all you need and can really achieve for bashing fun.

On that basis the Traxxas with the 8.4v NiMH hump packs is a good entry / mid option and packs a punch.

Warranty and spares support on Traxxas is one of the best as well which is a great bonus.

Lipo are a bit harder work than NiMH including charging and storage. People can and will defend them to death but I have experienced first hand the carnage they can cause and know many others who have had exploding packs or one go up in flames. A work colleague lost part of his hall due to one and that was in a charging bag. I keep mine and charge in the garage these days.

I still run lipo though and buy from hobbyking's UK warehouse.

As for a charger, any from modelsport at circa the £40-£80 range will be ok. I have a core RC one.

Soldato
Scrutinize;30500633 said:
You wont go wrong with a Traxxas, either a rustler or stampede vxl is a great entry. If you can afford a 4x4 Stampede vxl then they are great fun.

You can spend more, you can spend less but there is a limit to how fast you can drive a 1/10th scale before its impending death. Speed runs at 60 mph are fun for a while but off road, circa 30-40mph is all you need and can really achieve for bashing fun.

On that basis the Traxxas with the 8.4v NiMH hump packs is a good entry / mid option and packs a punch.

Warranty and spares support on Traxxas is one of the best as well which is a great bonus.

Lipo are a bit harder work than NiMH including charging and storage. People can and will defend them to death but I have experienced first hand the carnage they can cause and know many others who have had exploding packs or one go up in flames. A work colleague lost part of his hall due to one and that was in a charging bag. I keep mine and charge in the garage these days.

I still run lipo though and buy from hobbyking's UK warehouse.

As for a charger, any from modelsport at circa the £40-£80 range will be ok. I have a core RC one.

Many thanks for that, I'll give Model Sport a call tomorrow and will probably order a Traxxas however I didn't realise Lipo batteries were so dangerous, that's almost putting me off :(

Soldato
Many thanks for that, I'll give Model Sport a call tomorrow and will probably order a Traxxas however I didn't realise Lipo batteries were so dangerous, that's almost putting me off :(

Lipo batteries can be extremely dangerous if not handled correctly including with the correct storage charging and general balance charging for use. Most of the time they are fine. It is worth buying reasonable batteries though, no need to spend big money but bar hobbyking, I avoid direct from Chinese branded ones (eg eBay efforts).

Always use a lipo bag for charging and storage, avoid leaving unattended when charging, avoid storing where they can get very hot (even when in a tool box in a conservatory for example).

All that aside, I run soft packs in my off road Tamiya as I can fit 3s in then. Usually the worse that happens is a cell bulges so I dispose of the pack. You can make your own protective outers from various materials.

Soldato
Lipo batteries can be extremely dangerous if not handled correctly including with the correct storage charging and general balance charging for use. Most of the time they are fine. It is worth buying reasonable batteries though, no need to spend big money but bar hobbyking, I avoid direct from Chinese branded ones (eg eBay efforts).

Always use a lipo bag for charging and storage, avoid leaving unattended when charging, avoid storing where they can get very hot (even when in a tool box in a conservatory for example).

All that aside, I run soft packs in my off road Tamiya as I can fit 3s in then. Usually the worse that happens is a cell bulges so I dispose of the pack. You can make your own protective outers from various materials.

I still haven't ordered but I phoned Modelsport today as I was a little concerned about what's been said for Lipo batteries. They said they have not had a problem with a Lipo battery catching fire, exploding etc and the risk is low. They said to make sure you get a decent charger etc.

I'm still torn between a buggy and truggy.. must decide soon as I want it for the weekend :)

Soldato
I would recommend when charging Lipo cells use a proper charger, charge at correct rate, and ideally outside or in fireproof box on concrete. If there is any damage to the cell, through a impact or it got wet replace it.

Personally I prefer petrol cars as can drive all day if you have a jerry can. Plus they're huge.

Soldato
Just avoid the cheap Chinese batteries and chargers if trying to save a few £££. This is where a lot of issues stem from along with inexperienced people treating lipo like NiMH.

UK spec charger from somewhere like modelsport, decent lipos and a charging bag or box.

Also, don't short the terminals.

Soldato
I wouldnt say you need to have the best quality stuff, my batteries are from Hobbyking, the quality of their stuff is very good for the money imo and rarely puff up, even ones I sold a few years ago are still going strong. Even the soft case £7 lipos for my Micro do a very good job and pretty much what everyone runs.

As for chargers, I have heard that some of the cheaper ones may not charge to the true voltage due to poor QC. My first charge was a copy B6 and I have tested it with a multi meter after a full charge and its spot on, it was only about £10 too but like anything, it may not be perfect. If you dont want to take the risk, something like a SkyRC S60 is £40 and its a nice charger & a quality brand.

You could go out and spend £150 on an Orion ESC, £70 on their motor, £70 for an Orion battery and another £120 on one of their chargers,i t is your own money. Personally I enjoy a little bargain hunting a little, my current favorite car is my BSR BZ444 4WD, got it for £60, put a £13 HW v2.1 copy ESC in it, someone gave me a cheap 6.5t motor and used an old crappy Savox servo, drove it first time at a regional and put it in the A Final. Never had a bad day with that car because its cheap and up against top spec cars so every place is a bonus.

Soldato
Just seen this thread.

Its been a very long time since I dealt with RC cars, back in the day I used to use Tamya cars and a place called models in motion and race indoors.

used to enjoy spending time building the cars and spraying the body shells etc but was a lot of money for parts at the time.

I used to carry around a 12V car battery to run my charger from

Soldato
lol at all the Lipo bunkum.

I use two genuine IMAX B6 chargers, powered off an old PSU converted to a bench power supply.

All my Lipos have come from Hobbyking, Turnigy brand. Have had at least 30 from there and only and 5S which developed a faulty cell, which I then converted to a 4S.

Even my radio gear is Lipo powered as could no be bothered charging 6 AA's all the time.

Associate
New to me Flosi DBXL , just gave her a full overhaul, every bearing, all diffs done, DDM springs.

She runs a Zen 32 with a 990 carb, all the right alloy on her too and a few other upgrades.

Just finished and shes getting a test run tomorrow,

Dave
:)

Soldato
lol at all the Lipo bunkum.

I use two genuine IMAX B6 chargers, powered off an old PSU converted to a bench power supply.

All my Lipos have come from Hobbyking, Turnigy brand. Have had at least 30 from there and only and 5S which developed a faulty cell, which I then converted to a 4S.

Even my radio gear is Lipo powered as could no be bothered charging 6 AA's all the time.

Which way and where do you store them? or do you think it's just a few horrow stories.... time is running out for me to order for the weekend, have to do it tomorrow but seriously being put off by the horror stories now.

Soldato
Which way and where do you store them? or do you think it's just a few horrow stories.... time is running out for me to order for the weekend, have to do it tomorrow but seriously being put off by the horror stories now.

So go petrol then ;) Like the above...large scale isn't that expensive, you can get a Carson RTR for about the same price as a smaller electric RTR car. 1:6 versus 1:10 size.

Go into modelsport they have a few large scale cars there...the 1:10 will then appear tiny..

btw my brother has model planes, uses lipo packs. One time he was charging a pack, and it started to swell, and had to disconnect it and throw it out into the garden as it was getting hot and puffing up.

Don
Can anyone recommend a petrol kit to completely build? I had a buggy about 8 years ago and I got more enjoyment building it than actually racing the thing around, my kids are at an age where they would love it too. They're petrified of my drone mind!

I'm not sure if they were recommended but I had an FTX Carnage a couple of years back, really great fun and fast but the waterproof element is a massive factor, even light dew on grass and they will burn out unfortunately, living in England means I would go all out for something waterproof.

Soldato
Which way and where do you store them? or do you think it's just a few horror stories.... time is running out for me to order for the weekend, have to do it tomorrow but seriously being put off by the horror stories now.
In biscuit in tins.
I just make sure they are discharged if I am not going to use them for a while or storage charge if for a longer.
If they are bulging, misshapen in any way after a session they get flung.

Back
Top Bottom