Personal Log to losing weight

Associate
You'd give two litres of fluid to an average sized person in hospital who was nil-by-mouth and that'd keep them ticking over quite nicely with a reasonable buffer.

Government guidelines of two litres of water, plus the fluid intake you get from food are pretty generous even for an active person in Britain's climate.

3 litres, a couple of teas/coffees, plus food and you're easily clearing 4 litres of intake. Obviously there's no harm in it (unless you're doing daft things like adding salt), but you'll just pee out the extra with no real benefit.

Soldato
You'd give two litres of fluid to an average sized person in hospital who was nil-by-mouth and that'd keep them ticking over quite nicely with a reasonable buffer.

Government guidelines of two litres of water, plus the fluid intake you get from food are pretty generous even for an active person in Britain's climate.

3 litres, a couple of teas/coffees, plus food and you're easily clearing 4 litres of intake. Obviously there's no harm in it (unless you're doing daft things like adding salt), but you'll just pee out the extra with no real benefit.

Fills you up though surely, so you don't feel like eating so much...

Soldato
This is a poor idea.

If you feel drinking excessive amounts of water is good for you, then okay, but don't add salt to it to try and trick your body into retaining it. A healthy body is meant to dump that extra fluid.

I doubt that 'a pinch' of salt would have any notable impact in reality, but if it did, it'd be making that water hang around in all of the of the places you didn't want it to (ie, your blood vessels, raising your blood pressure).

Adding minerals to heavily filtered water actually increases cell uptake. I don't have the study to hand but you need to drink somewhere around 1.7x the amount to achieve the same hydration. The body has no need to retain water void of nutrients.

A pinch or flake of salt is hardly going to spike sodium levels to instigate such drastric water retention, nor will it have an effect on your blood pressure.

The body is self-regulating and protocols like sodium or water loading are outdated, fruitless and dangerous.

Government guidelines are not the holy grail. I'll drink 2 litres of water and 2 coffees before midday just sat at my desk. Another pint with lunch and then another 2 litres and one more coffee in the afternoon. I'll have another 0.5l with dinner and then probably another one or two litres before bed.

If spinning in the evening it's easily another 1-1.5l on top of that. Hydration (based on urine colour) is spot on, pale straw coloured.

We're all different. I work with people who claim to literally have 1 or two cups of tea a day and nothing else to drink :eek:

Last edited:
Tea Drinker
Don
Adding minerals to heavily filtered water actually increases cell uptake. I don't have the study to hand but you need to drink somewhere around 1.7x the amount to achieve the same hydration. The body has no need to retain water void of nutrients.

Which is what I do, Big Berkey water filter and add a pinch of Himalayan salt per pint. I don't pee like an alcoholic then. Plain water just gets passed through.

Soldato
OP
It's funny you all talk of hydration. During the night (about 6am) I got a massive cramp in my calf muscle, and oh my god I've never felt so much pain (except for man-flu of course) It made me jump out of bed like a crazy person, I almost gave my wife a heart attack I think. Anyway it took 15 mins for the muscle to unlock. It was not a nice thing.

About 10mins after I went for a piddle, and I noticed my wee was so dark, almost brown like, thinking back to yesterday I don't think I took much fluid. Maybe 1.5-2 pints only all day. So I think the muscle cramp was due to dehydration (google has just confirmed it).

I have drunk around 2litres of water today already and just did 40mins on my exercise bike to try to loosen my calf muscle as it was still tight. I did almosty 14km on resistance setting 11 (of 30) and my leg feels better now.

Soldato
cramp can be lack of Electrolyte too, and whenever I get them, I wonder if I should explicitly introduce bananas into diet for their potassium.

Water is nonetheless boring ? and not a comfort food compared to Rosie Lee - easier/pleasurable to knock back 2 litres of that a day,especially during winter, or barring that, skimmed milk.

Associate

A pinch or flake of salt is hardly going to spike sodium levels to instigate such drastric water retention, nor will it have an effect on your blood pressure.

The body is self-regulating and protocols like sodium or water loading are outdated, fruitless and dangerous.

Okay, so you're sort of right and wrong at the same time.

Yea, adding minerals (ie, electrolyes) to water will make it be more easily taken up into cells (why you think this is a good idea, I'm not sure). You're increasing the osmolality of the fluid and this helps it move between fluid compartments. It's the same process that will help it move into your blood vessels though, as I mentioned earlier. One doesn't happen without the other. This is why in hospital patients are given saline to help maintain (and sometimes increase) blood pressure. Critically though: we're talking about fluids given intravenously here.

Fluids taken orally although "void of nutrients" initially, will go into your stomach where they mix with your gastric contents, then flush out into your duodenum where your pancreas will dump some sodium in it to help it be absorbed. Then obviously as it travels along your gut it'll further mix with partially digested food. This idea that some of you have that it somehow goes from mouth to toilet bowl untouched is oversimplification. Even if you ingested some ultra-pure distilled water, by the time it was absorbed in the gut it would be part of the same foul smelling, nutrient rich sludge that anything else that passes your lips would be. Try to appreciate here that a pinch of salt is going to make absolutely no difference to this. I don't know where this idea has come from but it has no foundation in science, even if it is himalayan salt.

The reason I'm stressing it is a bad idea is that if we're talking about adding a pinch of salt to each pint, and someone is consuming 3ish litres, we're potentially talking about a couple of extra grams of salt here for no real reason. I'm not saying don't consume salt, because like most things it's fine in moderation. But honestly, use that moderate amount for something useful like making your food taste delicious.

There was a really great article in the BMJ in 2012 that goes over a lot of these concepts. It's titled "the truth about sports drinks" but it goes over a lot more than that. It talks about a lot of myths about hydration (and dehydration) that were started by companies like GSK trying to sell sports drinks. It's got good videos (great for me) and good references (great for serious people).

The take home point here is what you talk about in the last line: "the body is self-regulating". It's got systems for fluid balance that have been developed over a few hundred thousand years. They're pretty complex and very sensitive and it do all the work so you don't have to. You don't need to sprinkle salt in your drink or drink litres and litres a day. Drink when you're thirsty. It's worked fine for humans up until now and still works fine for the vast majority of the planet. Fuss over something else.

Soldato
(I did not see why BennyC was wrong - he acknowledged adding sodium was ultimately dangerous.)

The motivation for easy uptake in the cells requirement, when I mentioned it anyway, was to rapidly restore optimal hydration without taking un-necessary surplus fluids on-board, following a period of deficit (waking up in the morning, exercise, or just lack of access to fluids).
Surplus fluids may have other benefit for bowels/urinary tract, so maybe it is not a black and white subject.

Associate
I think this could go on forever, and I don't wanna hijack Ace Modder's thread, but I'll just say this:

The body doesn't store extra fluid in cells like that, so intracellular fluid isn't really relevant to a discussion about hydration.

The only place your body really 'stores' surplus fluid that can be used is inside the gut. And to reiterate, there's no decent evidence to back up the idea that surplus fluids have any real benefit. It seems more a case of people doing it because it kinda seems like a good idea.

Personally I tick over pretty nicely on a couple of coffees in the morning and a glass of water with each meal.

PS: If you're really keen on rapid hydration, fluid enemas are supposedly a pretty quick way of getting fluid into your system.

Soldato
OP
back to my matter at hand.... ( i did a sneeky early weigh in this morning (normally done on Mondays)) I'm now at 17 stone and 6lb. Always weighing myself at the same time each day, before eating breakfast.

At lunch time today I also did this on my bike.
20thjan%20bike.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Pretty good, still eating healthy ( i have had one day this week though where I had pub lunch, burger and chips) but overall mostly great.

I feel much better not eating crap all the time too. The weight is coming off at a steady pace.

9lb so far.

Soldato
I get the calf cramps/locking up when I've been exercising hard over a few days and havent drank enough, absolute agony when it happens. I had it happen whilst swimming when I was half way across the pool once, that was an experience :D

Man of Honour
I get the calf cramps/locking up when I've been exercising hard over a few days and havent drank enough, absolute agony when it happens. I had it happen whilst swimming when I was half way across the pool once, that was an experience :D
could also be lack of electrolytes, especially with the very bad government advice of reducing salt intake.

Back
Top Bottom