New forum! Post bugs & errors in here *CHECK FIRST POST FOR ISSUES FIRST - P.S. THE MM IS OPEN*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Yeah, I was fine with it when I knew it was VB. But I'm so used to pasting images into replies on other XF forums it seems a shame that it's not enabled here and feels cumbersome now having to go to an external hosting site.

I sort of understand considering the size of the site, but it's not like hardware or cost is an issue considering it's a company forum run by techies.

I guess the content of the hosted images would potentially be more of an issue.

Content is a concern, but we could have an efficient take down process. I had greater concerns about security - there have been exploits targeting GD and imagemagick in the past and as you can perhaps guess from our previous software being vb3, we don't really have the manpower for me to be truly confident it would be bullet proof.

I've had a look at imgur's api at Christmas, I think it would work for us to have a paid account with imgur and write our own xf addon to use them for images (so from your pov - it's drag and drop - but imgur deal with the storage and processing).

Soldato
I like how you managed to save the original smiles and not have all the emoji's :D:cool:.

Gonna take some getting used to but already the mobile site seems much better.

BaJ

BaJ

Associate
Issue #17 regarding the subforums that were missing. They are indeed back now, but only if you're logged in, would be helpful if they were publicly viewable like (most) of the rest of the forum.

Soldato
Colour still seems odd. I know the old site was all blue too but this just looks odd!

A side by side comparison (I still have the old forums :p)

cSlkPpD.jpg

The thing with change is it makes you look at things again, the old style was there for sooooo long you actually ignored it and just concentrated on the content, which wasn't a bad thing at all.

Soldato
Content is a concern, but we could have an efficient take down process. I had greater concerns about security - there have been exploits targeting GD and imagemagick in the past and as you can perhaps guess from our previous software being vb3, we don't really have the manpower for me to be truly confident it would be bullet proof.

I've had a look at imgur's api at Christmas, I think it would work for us to have a paid account with imgur and write our own xf addon to use them for images (so from your pov - it's drag and drop - but imgur deal with the storage and processing).

Interesting, didn't realise that about GD and imagemagick. Not heard of any XF sites being affected, although that doesn't mean it's not happened. Have the exploits been widely used and tardily patched? ie. is it really that much of a concern considering the benefit gained from enabling the feature?

The imgur integration does sound like a top idea though, and a great idea for a XF add on in general. I'm sure a large number of much smaller XF sites (and large too) would benefit from a seamless integration.

The ability to paste into the editor, direct upload to the forum's imgur account, and converted to an embed link upon post submission.

Super fast load times of the page itself, offloading resources from the main forum server, plus the content isn't necessarily hosted on that server (yet still accessibly and restorable from a paid imgur account). Sounds really intriguing, would be interested in this myself potentially!

It might come down to SEO for some admins. Currently you can't assign alt tag attributes to images uploaded to posts, although it's been requested quite a lot.
I wonder if there would be a big benefit of having quality images hosted on the server with quality alt tags vs the same images on an external host with the same alt tags or none. I'm not sure what would be best.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

cSlkPpD.jpg

The thing with change is it makes you look at things again, the old style was there for sooooo long you actually ignored it and just concentrated on the content, which wasn't a bad thing at all.

The trust, edit, quote buttons etc were nicer in the old one. Any chance of using those again?

Caporegime

cSlkPpD.jpg

Still think the user box should be connected with the thread box like the old forums.

Also I think you should lose the FB link....Makes the forums look naff. ( this has already been mentioned so apologies )

I also think the banner saying mobster looks a bit naff...Would look so much cleaner just having the word mobster and nothing else under the picture.

OcUK Staff

cSlkPpD.jpg

cSlkPpD.jpg

The tweaks made in last 24hr have it looking very similar to before and I am finding reading and posting on the forum feels more streamlined, which is a good thing.

Beauty of the forum is feedback can be taken onboard and it is easy to try tweaks and changes to get it spot on, I thought it was fine, but 24hr later it has got even better. :)

Caporegime
One thing I have noticed is that when say viewing GD, the thread title is all the way to the left of the screen and the views/replies is all the way to the right so it's very difficult to see which matches which on a 1440p 27" monitor.

Also the user cp button on the top left has gone, this was a very quick one click way to see my subscribed threads.

Soldato
Still think the user box should be connected with the thread box like the old forums.

Also I think you should lose the FB link....Makes the forums look naff. ( this has already been mentioned so apologies )

I also think the banner saying mobster looks a bit naff...Would look so much cleaner just having the word mobster and nothing else under the picture.

Personally I agree with that. Not sure how simple it would be to do. Just feels "disconnected" the user and the post should be at one with each other :D.

I must admit whoever is working on this has done an absolutely amazing job over the past 24 hours! When it first went live I feared we were going to be stuck with it :(. Simply amazing and sincerely thank you! So much nicer to use than it was :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom