******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Man of Honour
NP ^^^ :)

BTW once the game goes live, all those ships; will be free, you earn them in game, it might take a lot of hours to earn some of them but there really is no need to buy expensive ships now, unless you want them now.

IMO the best all rounder, all you should really need for now is the Avenger Titan, its nice to fly, offensively and defensively its capable enough, it has good size cargo capacity and its relatively inexpensive.

https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/ships/aegis-avenger/Avenger-Titan

I tried out a Starfarer today, oh my god is it big. Damn thing is enormous. I got completely lost inside it and couldnt find the bridge :D

Soldato
Ooooh !!! now that would be good because I really REALLY hate motion blur and depth of field in games :)

Yeah we will sort that out for you no problems. What i will do is make you a few configs to try ( i use two myself ) one for performance, one for super good looking and i can do you one for just removing the basics like DOF/blur vsync and such i don't like bloom and those either.

I tried out a Starfarer today, oh my god is it big. Damn thing is enormous. I got completely lost inside it and couldnt find the bridge :D

Starfarer is a cool ship! we will have to take you to some derelict ones in an asteroid field to explore :D.

Can we expect you on this weekend at some point? The others usually play on friday @ 9 pm and i also join the fun on Saturday at the same time :)

https://discord.gg/UvMdY <-- will get you into our group on discord if you desire :).

Soldato
OK..just tried it for an hour or so. Blimey it's a lovely game! Actually think i'll buy in to this when 3.0 comes out.

I died in the airlock first time, but then got to grips with it all a bit and made my way to a beacon/radar that needed activating. Shot out some bad guys, along with some help (another online player i think...who also beat me to activiting the system). Very cool.

Man of Honour
Yeah we will sort that out for you no problems. What i will do is make you a few configs to try ( i use two myself ) one for performance, one for super good looking and i can do you one for just removing the basics like DOF/blur vsync and such i don't like bloom and those either.

Starfarer is a cool ship! we will have to take you to some derelict ones in an asteroid field to explore :D.

Can we expect you on this weekend at some point? The others usually play on friday @ 9 pm and i also join the fun on Saturday at the same time :)

https://discord.gg/UvMdY <-- will get you into our group on discord if you desire :).

Thanks, bloom and so on I dont mind, its just motion blur and DoF that annoy me, those make me feel like I am drunk :)

Yeah I will definitely be on this weekend, I literally havent learned a damned thing about the game yet, still dont know most of the controls. I just like pottering about looking at things because its pure desktop background material every step of the way lol

Caporegime
life.png

Soldato
Well been looking around game for a while, looks like a great game, is there a way to turn some graphics settings on off, or enable AA etc ? and will this game be like a free to play at launch, and choice of buying stuff, or if i buy a package now, does that give me a retail key at launch ? cheers

Caporegime
Well been looking around game for a while, looks like a great game, is there a way to turn some graphics settings on off, or enable AA etc ? and will this game be like a free to play at launch, and choice of buying stuff, or if i buy a package now, does that give me a retail key at launch ? cheers

See here for custom Graphics https://www.redacted.tv/custom-user-cfg-guide-star-citizen-alpha-2-x/

As i understand it at this point once released it will be free to play, so you earn ships and weapons in game, with some things buyable with real cash, tho apparently not ships, the school of thought i think is what ships you buy now you get to keep once the game is live, or the value of it,- IE the money you put in is converted to ingame credit, those options may be a choice given to you.

Soldato
OP

Graphics settings stuff is still being implemented but you can tinker with a lot of it in the XML and people are constantly updating guides and giving example xml files for it (Boredgamer on youtube is a good example) It'll be a while before in-game options are there though. Typically still the best way to improve performance is to drop resolution, although in certain modes (test public universe) FPS is affected by the server which is a pain - that is going to change later though.

If you buy now you get the choice of single player (Squadron 42) or multiplayer (Star Citizen) or both, or you can buy one and add the other later. There won't be any mandatory costs after release but as it's not out yet and still essentially vapourware (in development) it may never come out - you need to consider that when pledging. If in doubt leave it and back after release. Previously there were potentially benefits on your account for backing early but these stopped ages ago (Stretch goal rewards) and we haven't had much in the past 18 months so honestly, I'd say wait unless you are keen to test it, cos that's all we're doing - play testing. Although it can be great fun :)

Funding model post release will rely heavily on micro transactions this will include an option to subscribe, although it's unlikely this would include anything earth shattering and likely only cosmetic fluff as it has been for the past few years. There will also be the option to buy in-game currency to try to combat the old gold farmers etc but will have monthly caps on how much can be bought etc. As far as I'm aware they don't currently intend to "sell" in-game ships post release but that could change.

Man of Honour
Thanks for that link Humbug, using that I've now turned off my drunken motion blur and DoF.

When you all play at the weekends, do you play on Live or PTU?

EDIT : on a side note...I gained about 15fps by turning off motion blur and depth of field. It runs really well now. Surprised at how much difference it made.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I never really liked Bugsmashers until I went back and started watching them from the start, they're one of the more interesting parts of the ATVs tbh and sometimes the most amusing too!

Associate
Finally caved in, bought a Cutlass Black package to toy around with. Later on when it's out I'd also like to get the Constellation Aquila, in the meantime I need to decide what small fighter I fancy, soooo much choice :)
Now the fun of learning the game :)

Man of Honour
I've been using mouse and keyboard so far, really should get around to plugging my hotas in. I actually gave Star Marine a go last night, was really surprised at how promising it was. I thought it might just be a bolted on thing, not really comparable to most online FPS, but its really very promising indeed. So weird to see how there are so many different gamestyles in Star Citizen, its like 4 games in 1.

Back
Top Bottom