How to controll pump speed?

Associate
Hello, I bought a custom watercooling loop and its all setup and working as seen in this photo:
IMG_0406.jpg

however my pump seems to be running a lot slower then the pump seen in this video:

He is using some kind of sata voltage controller and I cant seem to find where I could buy one?? I dont think it can be controlled via a fan controller, it only has 1 cable going to the cpu fan header as seen in the photos here:

http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/12V-DCP450-Magicool-Quiet-PumpReservoir-450lph_50000.html

If anyone could help me that would be great.

Thanks, Tom

Soldato
Looks like you have a fan controller installed, is your pump plugged into that or straight onto your motherboard?

Has your pump got a molex power connector aswell or just the fan header connection? If it's got molex then you control the pump speed on the pump itself by setting it between 1 and 5.

Your pump doesn't have to be on full speed. If your temps are good then leave the pump on the setting it's currently on, turning pumps up can result in vibration passing through your desk and being able to hear it.

Soldato
As above, try running it off a molex or a fan splitter from a molex.

If it helps pump speed doesn't necessarily make any difference to cooling and your loop doesn't seem to be too restrictive.

Associate
OP
Looks like you have a fan controller installed, is your pump plugged into that or straight onto your motherboard?

Has your pump got a molex power connector aswell or just the fan header connection? If it's got molex then you control the pump speed on the pump itself by setting it between 1 and 5.

Your pump doesn't have to be on full speed. If your temps are good then leave the pump on the setting it's currently on, turning pumps up can result in vibration passing through your desk and being able to hear it.
As above, try running it off a molex or a fan splitter from a molex.

If it helps pump speed doesn't necessarily make any difference to cooling and your loop doesn't seem to be too restrictive.

Its powered by a SAta cable and a 3 pin header with only 1 pin in it, i have connected it to my cpu motherboard header. the pump specs are here:

http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/12V-DCP450-Magicool-Quiet-PumpReservoir-450lph_50000.html

Thanks.

Soldato
Does the pump work if you don't plug in the fan connector? I would think it should work without using it. Other than that you could plug it in to another fan connector and see if that makes a difference. Generally the CPU fan will be automatically controlled by the motherboard but other fan ports usually run at 100% unless otherwise controlled.

In any case without using a fan controller you can also install Speedfan to control the speed of the fans/pump.

Associate
OP
Does the pump work if you don't plug in the fan connector? I would think it should work without using it. Other than that you could plug it in to another fan connector and see if that makes a difference. Generally the CPU fan will be automatically controlled by the motherboard but other fan ports usually run at 100% unless otherwise controlled.

In any case without using a fan controller you can also install Speedfan to control the speed of the fans/pump.

i installed speed fan but was unsuccesful in controlling its speed. I will try look the pump up to my fan controller and see if that does anything, Thankyou

Associate
OP
I hooked it up to my controller but that doesnt seem to work, the controller just doesnt pick up the pump as if it isnt connected. i think that the actual voltage needs to be differentiated? thats what the guy in the youtube video shown in my first post on this thread seemed to do. got any ideas on that?

Soldato
Not familiar with that pump but the other headers on the fan are for reading the speed and controlling it so if you've got one wire to the board it can't be read or controlled via PWM.

Would help to know which mobo you have and some pics of the connection.

Associate
OP
Not familiar with that pump but the other headers on the fan are for reading the speed and controlling it so if you've got one wire to the board it can't be read or controlled via PWM.

Would help to know which mobo you have and some pics of the connection.
i have a gigabyte 78lmt-usb3 the pump is powered by a sata cable and there 1 wire that splices off of the pump and onto the motherboard cpu fan headers. Its not a very expensive pump so i dont think it can be controlled by pwm but i saw someone on youtube that looked to control it via his sata cable?

Soldato
i have a gigabyte 78lmt-usb3 the pump is powered by a sata cable and there 1 wire that splices off of the pump and onto the motherboard cpu fan headers. Its not a very expensive pump so i dont think it can be controlled by pwm but i saw someone on youtube that looked to control it via his sata cable?

CPU fan header? As in CPU OPT/CPU?

Could be controlled via DDC so just voltage, bit random though if it has a header suggests it's able to read the speed and adjust. Prob a good google on the model will give you the answer, it's down to the pump really if it's not PWM like it should be. Updated BIOS etc?

Back
Top Bottom