3 Months Working Abroad Without My Family .....

Soldato
I'm struggling to see any downsides

You get £18,000
You get 3 months rest away from the wife and kids
You get to experience working abroad (great for CV)
You get to experience a new city

Take an ipad and facetime each night, 3 months will fly

Man of Honour
Bear in mind you'll be working 72hrs a week so really that £18k is for the equivalent of 6 months normal working hours. Is that £18k gross or net?

Also in terms of Skype etc factor in timezones etc, family will be 6hrs ahead of you which means if you are working 12hr shifts presumably they will be in bed by the time you get home (maybe not with teens, who knows) and at work/school when you get up in the morning. Maybe less of an issue these days with mobile internet etc but just something to bear in mind.

Not saying it is a bad idea, just pointing out some considerations.

Soldato
Thats' exactly what I thought - if you don't have serious doubts about it - or your wife - then do you really/truly have a good relationship with your wife ????

I have done similar in the past (before I was married with kids) and even though I had a ball each time..... I would not do it now.

To miss 3 months of my kids lives/time with wife just aint worth a new kitchen - or £18,000. But each person is different I suppose.
I just don't understand companies that expect you you basically give up your soul for them - especially when there are ways and means to do business differently..... ie have they offered to put your family up or give you/them a couple of free trips over/back ?

And it's ok saying suck it up etc - but I know numerous work mates who have separated due to similar work comittments - or have come back to find out their other halfs have been having affairs for years due to their extended work time away.

Man of Honour
ie have they offered to put your family up or give you/them a couple of free trips over/back ?
Seems like massive overkill and expense for the company considering it's only 3 months and it very much sounds like it's wholly down to the OP rather than the company having any expectation that he will do it.

Man of Honour
Also given he's talking about getting the three months over and done with before a family holiday in August implies that the 3 month period must be fairly soon and would thus overlap with school term etc. Additionally working 12hrs a day, 6 days a week he won't have that much time to spend with them anyway depending on how much travel time is needed on top of that.

Man of Honour
My wife would be supportive of it. But that's my situation. Personally for such a decent wedge of cash for such a little time you'd be daft not to do it.

Might be good experience too and offer you future possibilities.

No brainer for me personally. Yes it is tough being away from family but it is only 3 months. And the holidays will hold many more exciting memories long term.

Man of Honour
I think he was implying that once people have reached adult age, most people would miss their teenage children more than they would miss their parents. By the age of 19 most people have developed some independence relative to their parents, whereas parents of younger children will still feel a sense of responsibility.

Soldato
I think he was implying that once people have reached adult age, most people would miss their teenage children more than they would miss their parents. By the age of 19 most people have developed some independence relative to their parents, whereas parents of younger children will still feel a sense of responsibility.

Yeah I know what he meant.

Soldato
This. It's 3 months. Suck it up, tell them to suck it up, come home and treat them with a nice holiday or something and pocket the difference.

£18K post tax - if so, interesting (as mentioned above) If not, why is this a no brainer? 72 Days working 12 hour shifts with little off days.

Now I don't fully know what you do as a profession but is that a good wage? Are you used to working 12 hour shifts?

Just consider options, opportunity yes, some negatives yes :)

Man of Honour
To be fair I could understand if the kids were little, I live with a toddler and she's changed massively in the last 3 months and wouldn't understand if her dad disappeared for a few months but as teenagers they'll know what's happening and it's not like they're at the missing their first steps or anything stage.

Soldato
I'd argue anyone who sees that as a benefit, has a terrible relationship with their wife and kids.

What a silly thing to say. How much time do you see the kids in the week? an hour before school and maybe a couple of hours after work before bedtime. Then add on the weekends.
It's three months, not three years. He will be £18,000 richer which will pay for a good holiday where he can build even better memories with them. It's a one off, not three months every year.

On the one point you quoted me, a rest can be a good thing. Everyone needs time to charge the batteries. Could be the best decision he ever makes. Not seeing them for three months doesn't mean he has a terrible relationship. I'd say quite the opposite actually. He's doing it for them. Unless the OP goes and wastes the 18k on a new car lol

Soldato
Well you commented that your wife thinks it is a jolly up. This to me rings alarm bells that she doesn't want you to go.

Personally I think you should sit down and discuss it openly with your wife, as her for her opinion on it.
Maybe your wife has reasons that she doesn't want you to go? Either way, if it risks your relationship I would certainly iron out any issues before a decision is made.

If your wife hates the idea of it, it could cause your relationship to break down.

Maybe she is being unreasonable? but either way if she isn't happy with you going I'd say don't go.

Soldato
I did 6 months, it was tough, but we managed it. Does put strain on you though, as like you've said, she'll think you're living it up while she's sad and lonely. I still get that when I'm away with work, I just carry on. 3 months wouldn't be too bad, really. You'd manage OK.

Back
Top Bottom