Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Associate
I crashed it. I flew backwards into some long grass by a river and it tangled around one of the rotors. What followed was a mini acrobatic display and a broken gimbal!

I haven't tested the filters with video yet, only stills. This was with an ND4 post-repair.

9eWTMA8.jpg
Greg,

How often to you go flying? I built a quadcopter a while ago but never really learnt how to fly it. I'd love to get out with an experienced flyer to get some tips and as we both live in Ipswich ;).

James.

Soldato
Normally every other weekend - I selected the Mavic purely based on it being so portable as the primary use for it is to take on motorbike trips, and space and weight is at an absolute premium!

I'm far from an experienced pilot though - this is only my second drone. I've no desire to become an awesome pilot - I just want to be sufficiently competent to be able to make it an effective photography and video platform. Happy to meet up some time though - this weekend I flew it over Rushmere and out at Bawdsey. Still toying with the thought of taking it to Barcelona this weekend... :)

Associate
On a trip to Northern Ireland earlier this month, I got the Mavic up over the Giant's Causeway, my first time there. Got some really good reactions from people thinking it was awesome to have the opportunity to fly a drone there. Couldn't believe how blue the sea was though, awesome place!

Caporegime
Greg,

How often to you go flying? I built a quadcopter a while ago but never really learnt how to fly it. I'd love to get out with an experienced flyer to get some tips and as we both live in Ipswich ;).

James.

What are you struggling with? It should effectively fly itself; as in not wander off when the wind pushes it.

Caporegime
Depends on what he built. If he built an item with no GPS then it won't.

For some reason I assume he meant a Phantom, no idea why! :D

It's more the flying from all angles if you no what I mean, it's orientation I find hard. It's a 250mm ZMR frame quad, no gps.

As for a racing quad, orientation takes a while...however in ALL honesty,get a screen, flying FPV makes it a lot nicer and you'll enjoy it a tonne more, you can also get a bog standard screen or goggles for not a lot of money nowadays.

One more thing, flying FPV will be easier on RATE mode or Acro (so you have no self levelling aids etc) but doing line of site I'd maybe stick with a self levelling mode for the time being, however I'd dabble without using it.

Soldato
On a trip to Northern Ireland earlier this month, I got the Mavic up over the Giant's Causeway, my first time there. Got some really good reactions from people thinking it was awesome to have the opportunity to fly a drone there. Couldn't believe how blue the sea was though, awesome place!

[

I'm not epileptic, but I just about had a seizure watching that intro! Cool vid otherwise.

Soldato
Quite fancy dipping my toe into the world of Quadcopters.
I think something like the Blade Inductrix RTF might be a good starting point though am open to suggestions.

Associate
Quite fancy dipping my toe into the world of Quadcopters.
I think something like the Blade Inductrix RTF might be a good starting point though am open to suggestions.

Inductrix are pretty awesome, once you get the hang of it you can then turn off all the help such as self leveling, then upgrade motors etc. The fpv one is a good way into fpv flying as well, plus they are cheap and can take lots of abuse. Best things i have used as a starting point.

Soldato
Following on from a mate buying a Phantom 3 Adv last year, I decided I wanted in on this drone action and bought myself an Autel X-Star Premium.

I've only been out with it once so far (typically it got delivered the day Storm Doris blew in) but I'm certainly impressed so far. Roll on the better weather!

Back
Top Bottom