Everything is RGB and high performance these days except....

Soldato
Cooling stands oddly enough. Most use whatever fans happen to not be shifting that month on shelves that don't allow much airflow and so nothing really happens except the section a nice space where clutter can be avoided and cables can be set beside.

http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/notepal-series/masternotepal-maker/

My current one is a precursor to the above with a usb 2.0 hub at the side and adjustable stand angle with 2 80mm fans that do nothing really except make noise.

My current plan is to take a pack of these:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...netic-levitation-fan-dual-pack-fg-056-cs.html

Mount them diagonally at opposite angles forming a tent shape. I'll dremel where the fans sit except for the holes that will let me mouth the fan and use a coarse fan filter instead.

I'll bolt below on some salvaged parts from my GS30 dock, namely:

Aquaero LT to control the fans via USB interface
Aquaero farbwek for RGB underlighting (strip under the back of the machine)

I'll then mount 3 temperature sensors:

1. under the laptop to monitor air in temperatures
2. CPU cooling vent
3. One of the GPU cooling vents (the heatsink is a single vapor chamber so it should all be even)

That way I could make the dock change colour as the machine warms up and start spinning up the fans when it's under load. Since the intakes are at either side I could also separate which sensors are controlling which fan.

-----------------------

Will it do much? No idea, but it should look fancy enough :p

Soldato
OP
DSC_01112_zpsmqeoxcxz.jpg

First prototype being powered by a 500w SFX PSU with the motherboard connector pin sense shorted. :) still need to program it and see how it reacts.

Associate
@Meaker what sort of temp difference would you like to see when using this, or will it be mainly for display purposes?

I'm intrigued to see where it goes, have fun.

Soldato
OP
No expectations really I'm curious too. I'll see if I can get any kind of change and if I can then opening the metal might help even more.

Soldato
OP
Ok initial results show a 7C delta in GPU temps and a 10C delta in CPU temps with the two fans at 2000rpm (max) which suggests with less restriction and lower speed you could aim to get similar results.

Associate
Ok initial results show a 7C delta in GPU temps and a 10C delta in CPU temps with the two fans at 2000rpm (max) which suggests with less restriction and lower speed you could aim to get similar results.

Nice, what's the noise factor like?

Soldato
OP
There is a fair amount of vibration at the moment at full speed but as soon as you dial it down then it's not so bad.

Soldato
OP
Fans arrived:

jRdvuuA.png

The 140mm holes can only line up to two holes natively, I may need to cut a slit between two to get the others on. I did use rubber washers to add some compliance and they are doing well. I've started adjusting the behaviour of the fans as above.

Soldato
OP
Turns our that it's fairly thick steel so it took a while but I got the the first hole cut. I got some new dremel heads designed for metal cutting. I'll sort the second and get some pictures once I have tidied it up. :)

As a side note I'm going to try out the bitspower IHS for my 7700k :)

Soldato
OP
DSC_01582_zpsmbysx2ah.jpg

Most of the functionality is now complete. The only thing missing is the temperature sensors (without them it just stays on max which I was testing with).

Time to make it presentable :)

DSC_0160_zpswmmhpyhz.jpg

This is a sheet of oven liner cut to be just smaller than the grill. I shall cut some nice looking holes in it but you can see where it will sit below:

DSC_0161_zps6aazqhia.jpg

Back
Top Bottom