Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Soldato
Does anyone know anyone or a site where they take on projects with the Pi as need something made ?

I need a Pi device which will plug into a tape deck and play a test tone and then when the tape deck plays back the recording the Pi will sample the recording to show the results ever via a LCD or on a PC, it's for tuning the Bias for tapes

Associate
Does anyone know anyone or a site where they take on projects with the Pi as need something made ?

I need a Pi device which will plug into a tape deck and play a test tone and then when the tape deck plays back the recording the Pi will sample the recording to show the results ever via a LCD or on a PC, it's for tuning the Bias for tapes

I'm sure there are somewhere but it might take some searching. My understanding is that the Pi is out there for people to learn to do it themselves, not to get others to do it.

Commissario
I'd just like to say that in the space of three months, I've gone from having no Raspberry Pis here to now having five.

1 x Raspberry Pi2 - Pi-hole
2 x Raspberry Pi3 - ADS-B aircraft trackers
1 x Raspberry Pi Zero - Amateur radio rx only APRS iGate
1 x Raspberry Pi3 - Currently unallocated, waiting to be used.

They're addictive, these little things :D

Art

Art

Associate
I'd just like to say that in the space of three months, I've gone from having no Raspberry Pis here to now having five.

Just wait until you start buying HATs :eek:

Soldato

I'm beating you by 1 so far :D

5 x Raspberry Pi3 - RasPlex
1 x Raspberry Pi3 - ADS-B Aircraft Tracker & Airband Receiver

Next up is a retro gaming station based on RetroPie, once I can justify the money.

Out of interest what do you use the APRS iGate for? What can it do?

Commissario
Out of interest what do you use the APRS iGate for? What can it do?
It's another one of those things to set up and forget about. It relays all amateur radio APRS traffic it hears from 144.800MHz onto the internet. I built it using a Pi3 originally and then as there was so little load on the Pi, I decided to see how well it works on the Zero. It sitting around 30-35% CPU so it's absolutely perfect. The only thing that's a little frustrating is that I've got a 16Gb card in there when the image I've built will work perfectly on a 4Gb card so it's just a waste of space.

Associate

Sorry to be another one of those guys, but what's the reason/fun of running one of these - over say just using an internet site?

Also does it track civilian and military air traffic? We get a reasonable number of Apache helicopters flying over this house and I wondered if these would appear - or is it for airplanes only.

I did a quick Google but just wondered. I'm not a aircraft enthusiast hence the 'noob' nature of these questions.

Last edited:
Commissario
There's a few of reasons - Firstly, I'm a massive radio enthusiast so to me, this is another good use for radio.
Secondly, I like aviation. So this gives me a way of finding out what's going overhead without resorting to searching for it on the internet.
Thirdly, by uploading to places like FlightRadar 24 etc, they automatically give free full membership so when I want to use their sites, I'm a full member with all the privileges that gives.
Fourthly, it means that I get to see all the details of aircraft that the online sites block and that answers your next question, yes, if they're transmitting ADS-B data (they generally are) and they're in reception range, they'll appear on the map. They won't appear on Fr24.
Finally. Because I can!

maj

maj

Soldato
Seems my last post in here got lost with the forum upgrade. Has anyone looked into using a Pi for CCTV purposes? Found an interesting article on it here which takes you to a more detailed explanation here.

Basically involves buying a CCTV housing that looks authentic but is actually fake and putting the Pi and Pi camera in it. Tempted to try it myself.

Soldato
Going to get at least one of these and perhaps even two for some hardware projects. Will probably try and make a weather station and think of some other projects and program it in C or C++. Then I'll make some pretty graphs in Excel or something.

I'm sure I can come up with some other hardware projects as well for the future. I might even buy an Arduino or two for something similar just with less powerful hardware. Should be quite fun to do :).

Soldato
I've got a few running.

1. Motioneyeos - CCTV manager
2. Subsonic music streamer, also run pi-hole DNS on this one
3. VPN router and ntopng
4. Domoticz - home automation server
5. HA-bridge to connect all my home automation stuff up to my Amazon dot
Also run a few other bits n pieces on this one too.

Once you get one you'll want more :)

Soldato
I'm running OSMC currently and recently installed pi-hole to run on this alongside. in Kodi just use it mostly for Plex and Twitch via video add ons.

Any advantage to changing my setup at all? LibreELEC any better and worth the hassle of a re-install? Been out of the loop for a long time on this as it works as I want, more intrigued if there is a decent advantage to doing so.

maj

maj

Soldato
Thinking of buying a Pi Zero to run Pi-Hole and nothing else. Would I need a power supply for it or can it be powered by USB (without a powered USB hub)? I'm wondering if I could simply plug it directly into router and power it that way. The whole package is £24 and trying to do it cheaper if I can.

I can get the pi, adapters and case for £12 but would still then need a micro sd card and power supply too if usb power is a no-go.

maj

maj

Soldato
Personally I'd go with a non-zero for Pi-Hole, otherwise you're relying on a wifi connection for your DNS.

Good point and something I hadn't thought of. Even if I was to get a micro-usb to ethernet adapter it wouldn't work since I'd be using the only usb port to power it. So I could forget about powering it via usb and getting adapters and a dedicated power supply but having thought about it more I might just hold off. I have a micro server waiting to go into loft and will just host it on a virtual server on there.

Back
Top Bottom