£20k hot hatch help

Soldato
Thanks all for the suggestions, after test driving a few cars (135, S3, TT and the R) over the last couple of days, I have decided on the M140i :D
Proposed Spec will be:

5 door, grey, auto, pro nav, adaptive suspension, comfort pack f & r sensors, through load, Adaptive Suspension, Adaptive Lighting & High Beam assist

You will love it, ordered mine last week. Build is March week 10 with a week 13 delivery (5dr grey auto, comfort, privacy, hk speakers)

Associate
You can get a nice mk2 TTS for £20k.

An RS might be obtainable but stretching it really.
Theyre just not very involving or fun cars though are they really. Subjectively, theyre beautiful and have lovely interiors, but theyre not that special to drive. Fast in a straight line, positively lacking feel in corners ! I owned one for 18 months - dreary and couldnt wait to get rid of it.

Focus RS mk2
Renault Megan 275 trophy?!

Last edited:
Soldato
I test drove an m135 a few months ago, i didnt think it sounded anything special. I actually thought my wifes focus mk 3 st sounded better (dones flame suit and i realise the st has a synthesizer).

Man of Honour
Sounds about right to me.

Really? Back when people were picking up the decent lease deals these were £250 inc VAT PM with £1500 down. At that money it was an absolute no brainer to lease.

That was when lease/finance made sense on these. Now I reckon if you bought at £25k and sold at £15k in 3 years time you'd be on about £270ish in depreciation all in. Hefty premium for finance?

Associate
With the M140i, I think BMW offer a decent contribution towards their pcp scheme. so, yes, that means the deals are usually for pcp, but there's the 14 day cooling off period at the start, so some people sign up to the pcp to get the lower price with the BMW contribution, and then phone to cancel the pcp and pay off the balance the following day. I remember reading of ppl doing that at the time I got my M135i.

Soldato
All new car deals are aimed at finance. Full stop.
But Why ? :confused:

As some finance deals can even be 0% interest so they wouldn't make anything from it...
Or like when I bought my brand new car last year it was by a Personal bank loan which had nothing to do with the car dealer..

And my brand new Yamaha motorbike i bought some years ago was 0% interest rate over 18 months (or something like that)

Last edited:
Soldato
But Why ? :confused:

As some finance deals can even be 0% interest so they wouldn't make anything from it...
Or like when I bought my brand new car last year it was by a Personal bank loan which had nothing to do with the car dealer..

And my brand new Yamaha motorbike i bought some years ago was 0% interest rate over 18 months (or something like that)

Answered your own question there I think.

The 0% interest deals on Nissan Micras and the like are probably to try to entice buyers to buy new.

Soldato
All new car deals are aimed at finance. Full stop.

Because it tricks people into thinking they can afford a car they can't, who then are stuck forever leasing or pcp'ing. They know the customer won't ever be able to pay the final balloon payment, meaning they have paid far more than the depreciation, the dealer gets the car back and is able to sell it again at another profit, and that customer then has to get another lease or pcp.

Figured it all out I have, they won't get me.

Back
Top Bottom