What's happened to Hostgator?

Associate
Does anybody use Hostgator?

I have used them on and off for years on different projects. I recently setup a business website to showcase all our work and chose Hostgator once again.

Wow the amount of issues Ive had are silly now! First of all I signed up for their Sitelock service, that pretty much broke everything. I couldn't connect the site website at all. So I contacted support and after over a week it was finally solved. The solution from them was to cancel their Sitelock service as we don't know what the issue is lol.

The second issue was with their CodeGuard backup service. The service wouldn't backup my current database and there is no settings to add it. It just said databases would automatically be backed up. Anyways after 3 attempts and about 3 weeks later, they have solved it. 2 stabs at using live chat and a long winded week long support ticket.

Whats happened to Hostgator? It was such a great host and their support was faultless! Now it's horrible with support taking days just to send a reply back in a ticket. Or worse waiting an hour to get into live chat where they can't fix anything and are clueless?

Anybody had the same experience?

Soldato
Can't say I've heard anything good about them but you'd be better off using a UK host surely? If nothing else purely because their support hours would suit your normal working hours.

Associate
OP
Can't say I've heard anything good about them but you'd be better off using a UK host surely? If nothing else purely because their support hours would suit your normal working hours.

My use with Hostgater goes about maybe 10 years of on and off use. Never tried anybody else tbh as ive never had an issue.

Do you have any UK hosts you recommend?

Man of Honour
Google suggests they were acquired by another company and shortly after went to **** - seems to be a common story with those kind of hosters.

Associate
OP
Google suggests they were acquired by another company and shortly after went to **** - seems to be a common story with those kind of hosters.

That makes sense to be honest. Their service and support was faultless when I used them a few years ago.

I may look at changing host then. Any suggestions for a good reliable UK host?

Man of Honour
Most of those I'd have recommended were recently taken over by IOMart or 1-2 others and likewise the service has gone increasingly downhill :( I'm taking a hard look at Amazon's AWS platform at the moment but its potentially a bit expensive. I'm a bit out of the loop as to what is good these days.

Associate
OP
Most of those I'd have recommended were recently taken over by IOMart or 1-2 others and likewise the service has gone increasingly downhill :( I'm taking a hard look at Amazon's AWS platform at the moment but its potentially a bit expensive. I'm a bit out of the loop as to what is good these days.

I've never had any problems with TSO Host - which used to get recommended a lot on here.

Normally TSO or Vidahost are recommended on here, I'm with Vida, but I've heard both of those have been taken over as well now.

I think Im gona make the jump to TSOHost, I have messaged them a few times via their ticket system and their response is spot on! I only have a small wordpress site to move so should be easy enough. Only £15 a year for their "lite" cpanel package too, really cheap...

Associate
OP
I'm changing from Vidahost today, downtime this week has been terrible.

EDIT looks like TSO are part of the Paragon Group also. No thanks,

I noticed TSOHost has 3 DNS Name Servers. Have you got all 3 in your settings at your registrar? If Vida is the same that is...

Ive noticed things are a lot faster than HG so far. Ive had a small issue with email auto responders but support fixed the issue really fast tbh.

At this point, I can't recommend TSOHost enough, it's like night and day compared to HG.

Thanks for the recommendation guys!

Permabanned
Now Paragon is a part of Godaddy thats the reason all of a sudden there are issues with this web hosting companies.
I use Webhost.uk.net pretty happy with them.

Back
Top Bottom