Protecting No Claims Bonus

Associate
My car insurance is up for renewal this month and I have 5 years NCB this time round. One of the options available is the protection of NCB for an additional £50 (approx 10% of the policy cost). Is this worth doing and do you generally take this on your policy? I'm swaying towards not taking it but any thoughts appreciated. Cheers.

Soldato
Paying to protect your no claims can vary with different insurers some still take a few years worth off u for fault accidents it's all abit of a scam. All my quotes come back on average £90 more to protect my 7 years so I'll pass on that

Soldato
I don't think it's any question who is. But in the event I crash and it's my fault I'm losing less.

I think its worth the risk. Unless you are young, doubling of premiums (worst case scenario, usually a lot less) isn't that much of a hit. Better to pocket the 10% every year.

Caporegime
I compared my premiums.with no ncb last time and it would take me 12 years of what I was charged to make up the difference. I'd say on the balance of things that's worth it.

Soldato
I compared my premiums.with no ncb last time and it would take me 12 years of what I was charged to make up the difference. I'd say on the balance of things that's worth it.

Is that versus zero NCB or with the drop of 5 to 3? Remember you still have to put the claim in both cases for a comparison.

Also remember protected NCB doesnt protect you in the event of 2 claims in a year.

Caporegime
Nope.

You go from 5 to 3 then to 1 and finally 0.

Protected NCB usually lets you off once in a year so.

5 to 5 (i.e. protected for that claim) then to 3 and then to 1 and then to 0.

May have to re-do my calcs! (as it stands I have 11 years though I'm aware most companies top out at 5)

Soldato
May have to re-do my calcs! (as it stands I have 11 years though I'm aware most companies top out at 5)

So some insurers that recognise more than 5 will drop you down to 4 instead of 3. Whicever it is, the price difference isn't as great as a drop to 0.

Just check your policy summary. It shoukd give a table explaining the drop down.

Soldato
I have 7 years. Going down to 3 (first accident) raised premiums by £150. Cost of NCB protection: £10. No brainer (for me anyway) :)

Remember when doing the price comparison you need to do

7 years + claim
v
3 years + claim.

You might have done that, but I can see some people forgetting to realise that you still have a claim eitger way.

Back
Top Bottom