The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
Which is the Zwift website you see results from and have to register to enter races from? zwiftpower?

Yep.

You can/have to link your Zwift ID found within the program files. Links to Strava too and you can insert your FTP as well.

Click 'update' to save settings within your profile also. Not particularly intuitive.

Soldato
Yep.

You can/have to link your Zwift ID found within the program files. Links to Strava too and you can insert your FTP as well.

Click 'update' to save settings within your profile also. Not particularly intuitive.
All done & entered a ride last night, I missed the 7.05pm start for a WBR ride so jumped on the next available and ended up on 'AVC Inferno Steps (warm)' with around 160 other riders.
https://www.strava.com/activities/874984750
It wasn't a race but holding increasing power for 8 volcano laps, first 2w/kg for 3, then 2.5w/kg then 3w/kg with a final 800m 'race' at the end. It was good fun, I found myself holding the 2 & 2.5w/kg efforts easily, chatting & dishing out 'Ride On's' (hoping to get a load in return for achievements lol). I found myself drifting up and down the group as I'd hit 4w/kg on the short/sharp climbs and then easy spin to drop back. The final 3w/kg was a mess as the leader kept trying to keep things together at 2.5-3w/kg, the final lap everyone was told if they wanted to race at the end they had to be behind the leader! It worked very well and was the first time the field really collected together. I hit and held 7w/kg for the sprint to finish 14th.
Zwift%20210217%20AVC.JPG

Good fun, will be jumping on for more of these & going to catch a real race soon! :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
How come the top guy beat everyone by 13mins with baby watts? :p
I pass these group things all the time and there is hundreds upon hundreds of people in them. Makes the game glitch like utter mental as you move up the long queue of them as your rider tries to go in and out. Glad I don't have epilepsy.

Soldato
How come the top guy beat everyone by 13mins with baby watts? :p
I pass these group things all the time and there is hundreds upon hundreds of people in them. Makes the game glitch like utter mental as you move up the long queue of them as your rider tries to go in and out. Glad I don't have epilepsy.
It wasn't a race, the ride has been taken off zwiftpower so I'm not sure of the 'real' placings. With so many riding it (and the leader saying anyone infront of him before the sprint would be disqualified) I had hoped to see better results and my first zp ride result (if nothing other than to make sure everything was working/sync/setup!).

Zwift does glitch when doing different speeds to big groups but when you're in them it works quite well. Zooming along at 25mph & 160W.

Soldato
Shame there doesn't seem to be many races earlier in the evening around 5:30ish. I'm usually finishing up by 6:30-7PM and I'm not going to sit around waiting after work for 2 hours or eat dinner prior :p

Soldato
Have to agree, most of the popular UK ones (KSS etc) don't even start till 8pm! Riding at 7:15pm after finishing dinner at 6:55 was quite early for me, thankfully wasn't pushing that hard so soon after food! :o

Most times I guess I'll be doing 7:30pm-8pm races but being on the turbo much after 9pm isn't very appealing. I have other 'chores' need doing before I can relax infront of the TV before heading to bed at 10 - 10:30pm! Most of the time the other half is almost snoring at 9:30! She gets annoyed if we don't spend at least an hour or two together, awake! Seriously hampers my cycling/gaming! :o ;)

Soldato
I've seen lots of Shimano RS10 wheelsets new going for sub £80 on places like the 'bay.

As wheels are a pain to post you're better checking locally and picking one up, LBS & local clubs/groups or check for local fb cycling buy/sell groups. Cheapy trainer wheels usually going for £20-30 on the ones around here.

If you have no joy, then search/watch these sellers on 'bay. 'Tri Sport Resort' (Wiggle) & Wheelies_1989 (Wheelies) selling off returns.

Just be very aware of postage charges (when buying from their websites would usually have free delivery.

Soldato
https://www.strava.com/activities/878970623

Had my first Zwift 'race' on Saturday. A MGCC 'Hang on' ride, 3 laps of London figure of 8 course which featured 3 climbs of Box hill with ever increasing speeds/power. All CAT's listed but in reality CAT A-C. Entered myself as 'D' as didn't have any previous results and was just going to try and pace things to get an average/easy result to start from. I spent the first lap and a half holding 2.5w/kg only for my trainer/ANT+ to drop connection a couple of times so I had to chase back on, burying myself a couple of times as there were big splits between groups already. Once riders started dropping in lap two I found myself chasing splits again, myself and another guy doing some big turns together at 3.5-4w/kg before hitting Box at 4w/kg and trying to hold it, no chance! Smashed my PB on Box by almost a minute but with so few riders around there was nowhere to hide, chugged along solo but I was fairly popped by then so holding 3-3.5w/kg to the end became the primary aim. I dropped back to a group doing 3w/kg to finish with them, 5-6 of us doing some turns with 2-3 others bouncing off the back. One of them fancied a breakaway over the top of Box so I hammered it down, before catching and passing him just before the sprint & holding on to the lead through it. Utterly destroying myself 5-7w/kg sprinting in the process lol! :D

Really enjoyed it and speaking to several of the regulars 'in game' they were laughing about me being CAT D. One of the leaders even commenting on my Strava that I'm a B 'mid pack'. I know it's Zwift CAT's and no relation to the real world (I'm regularly & easily smashed by club guys who race CAT 3/4) but a good foundation/starting ride to at least get an idea of my Zwift ability. Great training too! I can feel myself starting to get hooked so need to do some other races this week! :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm after a cheap back wheel with 10 speed cassette for my Zwift setup, anyone know where I can get something cheap and fit for purpose?
I spent weeks - yes weeks - looking for one, and in the end just bought an RS010 off Wiggle for £60 (they've gone up a fiver or so now). I tracked dozens of wheels on Ebay, but they get sniped or end up going for close to brand new prices, plus once you've factored in postage charges you'll be extremely lucky if you get a good deal.

Soldato
Had my first real 'race' on Zwift tuesday night. KISS Night Road Race Series. As my previous 2 'races' have not been real races I entered myself as CAT 'C'. You can find my result on the second page under 'C->UPG' which means I exceeded C category limits and for this series there is no 'auto-promotion' up to CAT B as I'd entered as C... Doh! Oh well! :D

It was a tough loop of Wattopia with a climb of the Pretzel, myself and 10-15 others had broke away from the pack before starting the main climb with a good 15/20s gap. Once on the lower parts of the climb one guy tore away and I tried to hold his wheel, no chance! Myself and 4-5 others putting distance on the rest of the breakaway, midway it was myself and 1 other guy with 2 up the road chasing the leader down. At least 1 of them got disconnected before the top. Just before it the guy I was riding with lost ANT+ to PC connection a couple of times so I held back a little to ride with him, the chasers behind us more than 30s down at this point. Once over the top it was some fast descending with us swapping wheels, I used the aero-tuck to carry lots of speed onto a kicker half way down, huge effort (saw 8.5w/kg and threw up a little in my mouth lol) over it to put several seconds into him. At this point we were catching and passing guys dropping from some of the B groups ahead. Once on the flat we came back together so tried to save some energy for a sprint, around a mile before the finish he managed to jump on a couple of passing B riders wheels which I missed and had 4s to make up! Sprint finish was a complete hash as the finish line wasn't very distinct exactly where it was... Without a results table afterwards I had no idea if I'd beaten him so finishing what I thought was 3rd or 4th. Zwift didn't auto-upload my ride to Strava either. The next morning Strava was broken/down (due to AWS East1 dropping) so I wasn't able to upload my ride until almost 24h later (last night after work training course). My ZP ride data hasn't linked to my Strava ride and I can't figure out how to do it, or who to contact. Any ideas?

Looking at results, myself and the guy I rode most of the pretzel and finish with (Craig Barlow) have the exact same finish time (58:44) and both C->UPG. The first place finisher of CAT C was 1:01:07, with the only other faster CAT C->UPG I can see the 1 guy who sped away on the climb, so we finished 2nd and 3rd (but got unclassified). Our finish time would've placed us around 40th in CAT B (out of over 100 riders). So next race for me I'm certainly safe to enter in CAT B...! :cool:

Soldato
That's really good going Roady. I've only done one Cat B race and it was tough, it came out at a NP of 259w for the hour which is not far off my best ever 60min power. That was on a flat course though so working hard to keep up with bigger riders. I'll have to give a hilly circuit or mountain race a go.

Soldato
Another Turbo session last night, this time for an hour. I forgot how bad things got with this one though. Higher intensity (effort 5) for between 1 - 1min 40 then recovery (effort 3) for between 30s - 1min. Wee rest in the middle before another 12 efforts. Managed it (just) but I think going out on the road is easier since you get to have a rest at some point, this was just relentless! Didn't help that my cadence sensor decided to fail on me either so battery has now been replaced.

https://www.strava.com/activities/886439685

Soldato
I have noticed that when on trainerroad I feel much worse for the same heart rate as when outside on the bike. Let me show a ride and a training session for an example.

https://www.strava.com/activities/888961678

https://www.strava.com/activities/880602548

As you can see on my turbo session I did 40 minutes at 150-160bpm and I must say it felt hard! Then when you compare that to my outdoor ride I did 90 minutes keeping in the 170-180bpm range, yes the outdoor ride felt harder but not that much more. What is causing this difference?

Soldato
I have noticed that when on trainerroad I feel much worse for the same heart rate as when outside on the bike. Let me show a ride and a training session for an example.

https://www.strava.com/activities/888961678

https://www.strava.com/activities/880602548

As you can see on my turbo session I did 40 minutes at 150-160bpm and I must say it felt hard! Then when you compare that to my outdoor ride I did 90 minutes keeping in the 170-180bpm range, yes the outdoor ride felt harder but not that much more. What is causing this difference?

It's cooler riding outside and that helps a lot in my experience, also on your turbo session you are holding 230w for what 10 minute blocks, something I doubt you would be doing outside as you would do quite a bit of freewheeling down hills etc. With turbo sessions there really isn't any let up, riding outside normally rarely has that level of intensity.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom