My sisters got a new job

Caporegime
OP
After a few reviews....what about a used Hyundai i20?

Nice to see that everyone's contributions haven't been a complete waste of time. Oh...

Now shes full time I think she really wants new or newer on some kind of low apr finance...:/

Last edited by a moderator:

TS7

TS7

Soldato
Update,

I passed all the ideas on to her and now she is thinking of putting 2.5 k down on a new mazda 2 at 0% APR

I have told her this is not a good idea...

The New fiesta would be a better bet?

Perhaps prudent for her to wait until she has completed her probationary period before committing to a lease/finance

Don
+1 for old Yaris

Ours has been bomb proof, we had it on 29,000 miles, 9 years old for £2000 (a old lady owned it before). It's now on 79,000 miles and 15 years old. Yearly oil/filter, air filter, plugs. Brakes once, battery once, tyres and better droplinks. That's all it's asked for.

Zero brakedowns or issues.

So cheap to run, gets minimum 45MPG, can do 55MPG on ~60-70mph motorway runs.

Caporegime
OP
+1 for old Yaris

Ours has been bomb proof, we had it on 29,000 miles, 9 years old for £2000 (a old lady owned it before). It's now on 79,000 miles and 15 years old. Yearly oil/filter, air filter, plugs. Brakes once, battery once, tyres and better droplinks. That's all it's asked for.

Zero brakedowns or issues.

So cheap to run, gets minimum 45MPG, can do 55MPG on ~60-70mph motorway runs.

Do you have much corrision? On the body ?

Associate
My 1 litre never missed a beat and was on 90k miles when I sold 6 years ago and it's still on the road. My T-Sport I sold on 100k and also still on the road. No body corrosion at all on either.

Caporegime
OP
Spoke with her last night...

I think she just want to lease at around £99 per month now....Not actually own the car and swap it after 3 years..

Yep she said thanks for all the feedback...I was showing her on the ipad pro last night :)

Associate
Spoke with her last night...

I think she just want to lease at around £99 per month now....Not actually own the car and swap it after 3 years..

Yep she said thanks for all the feedback...I was showing her on the ipad pro last night :)

While that might fit her current finances that wont be cheap long term. How much is the initial rental? Then how many miles pa is she allowed for £99 a month? Just for work she'll do 7k miles pa.

Soldato
Personally I'd rather buy an old Jap or German car with 100k on the clock than something hideous, like a Peugeot for £99 a month (plus other costs, it's never really cheap) :p

Last edited:
Soldato
So an average yearly cost of £2700/year not including fuel/tax/insurance?

Buy a £2k car and if youve chosen with any degree of common sense it sure as hell aint gonna cost £700 on service parts in the space of a single year. Neither is it going to cost £1200 a year on servicing after that.

Associate

Ok so the car is really £140 a month. 2k miles is not a lot for pleasure driving. Be worth checking how much per mile over 9k they will charge. But yeah getting up to £5100 to have a car for 3 years, then repeat + insurance and that wonderful new £140 a year fixed road tax.

Gotta say buying a 2k car is going to be cheaper!

Ford KA 1.3 petrol. Looking at a couple on trader for £1500, 2007 plate, sub 30k miles on the clock. Step daughter had one, drove it into the ground, learned to drive in it. Cheap as anything to insure and run.

Soldato
So an average yearly cost of £2700/year not including fuel/tax/insurance?

Buy a £2k car and if youve chosen with any degree of common sense it sure as hell aint gonna cost £700 on service parts in the space of a single year. Neither is it going to cost £1200 a year on servicing after that.

Could buy a 2k car every year and still be up :D

Plus money back from scrapping or re-selling.

Theres a few old 90s cars out there which are built like tanks and super reliable. Like some of the old Mercs, which are also going up in value

Last edited:
Soldato
Could buy a 2k car every year and still be up :D

Plus money back from scrapping or re-selling.

Theres a few old 90s cars out there which are built like tanks and super reliable. Like some of the old Mercs, which are also going up in value

i guess we need folks to buy new cars though, otherwise there'd be no well looked after bargains for us smarter folk :D

Associate
Surely a small petrol would be better, on only 30 miles a day?

Depends on the roads she's driving. I do 40 miles a day, 35 of which are motorway and makes more sense for me to run a diesel.

However, i'd agree that doing less than 9k miles a year may be more suited to a petrol if you consider tax/petrol cost etc.

Back
Top Bottom