Your current Fish tank Setups!

Soldato
So i'm half tempted to look into a Marine setup, has anyone got a rough idea of how much they generally cost to run on a monthly basis beyone the setup costs? I'm thinking along the lines of 300l.

That is a fantastic article, seems mollys are definitely a little misunderstood and harder to keep than your arrive community fish.

I imagine Molly's sold anywhere in this country have been bred in a pure freshwater environment for many generations so wouldn't really thrive massively better in a brackish water setup but a low (as in 0.1%) percentage salt added to the aquarium is rarely a bad idea (just double check!!)

The downside of letting your 6 & 10 year old nieces name your fish, my 2 year old Red tailed black shark is now called Barry :D

Barrys quite a cool name for a shark :D

I've got a female molly named Jonathan thanks to my 7 year old daughter and 2 starlight plecos named Topsy and Tim :o

Soldato
I imagine Molly's sold anywhere in this country have been bred in a pure freshwater environment for many generations so wouldn't really thrive massively better in a brackish water setup but a low (as in 0.1%) percentage salt added to the aquarium is rarely a bad idea (just double check!!)

This would be true for locally bread stock but almost everything you buy from a LFS is imported from the far east and molly's are certainly bred in brackish water there.

I have tried to introduce molly's a few times from a few difference sources and they were all certainly brackish bread, but once you get a few fry out of them the second generation are normally fine.

Salt can work fine but there are some fish that really don't tolerate it, pleco's come to mind as something a lot people have.

Soldato
So i'm half tempted to look into a Marine setup, has anyone got a rough idea of how much they generally cost to run on a monthly basis beyone the setup costs? I'm thinking along the lines of 300l.

If you want my advice. Buy the best equipment that you can straight away otherwise you get caught in the upgrade cycle. Reef tanks are like pcs, you can be happy with a middle of the road setup or a reef tart.

Once they are set up (expect to spend anything from 1-3k not inc tank) mines really cheap to run.

Only real expense per month excl electricity is food if and when i run out, marine fish benefit from a varied diet and ive got maybe 10 different types of food i rotate from different flakes to frozen to fresh prawns!

Soldato
If you want my advice. Buy the best equipment that you can straight away otherwise you get caught in the upgrade cycle. Reef tanks are like pcs, you can be happy with a middle of the road setup or a reef tart.

Once they are set up (expect to spend anything from 1-3k not inc tank) mines really cheap to run.

Only real expense per month excl electricity is food if and when i run out, marine fish benefit from a varied diet and ive got maybe 10 different types of food i rotate from different flakes to frozen to fresh prawns!

Thanks :) I'm really torn on it to say the least, those red sea tanks look rather good and a neat package!
car parts or fish, hmmmn :o

on another note, saw this poor little creature on a desk at a client site, next time i'm there i might leave them a little note on how to properly look after a fish :(
Ld9lwbq.jpg

Soldato
Got a custom made lid for the Reefer 350, time will tell if i get par issues with coral growth.

20170227_182052.jpg

20170227_182115%201.jpg

Soldato
Hi Spook, im looking at upgrading to the reefer 350, is yours the deluxe model with the hydra lights? Where did you get that lid and does it fit well? I presume its solid and stops some evaporation.

Cheers mate

It's the first red Sea reefer 350 they brought out, lighting is the Ecotech Radion pro Gen 3 which I bought separately, the lid was custom made and not really happy with it as only within a week it's started to sag even with supports to stop it doing that, I'll see how it goes otherwise I'll just go back to the mesh lid, evaporation is down to a couple of litres a week now instead of 5 litres a day.

Soldato
Anyone got any recomendations for gold hair algee?

Snails not eating it, nitrates are 1-2 and phosphate is undectable.

Its starting to take over one half of my tank and becoming uncontrollable!

Soldato
Anyone got any recomendations for gold hair algee?

Snails not eating it, nitrates are 1-2 and phosphate is undectable.

Its starting to take over one half of my tank and becoming uncontrollable!

You will find the test kits are inaccurate due to the nutrients tied up in the algea giving false hope.
Get down to Charterhouse and grab a bottle of vibrant if they have any in stock £55, this will sort hair algea out.

Soldato
You will find the test kits are inaccurate due to the nutrients tied up in the algea giving false hope.
Get down to Charterhouse and grab a bottle of vibrant if they have any in stock £55, this will sort hair algea out.

Just looked and they got it in stock so will gove it a try. Have you used it yourself?

Soldato
Just looked and they got it in stock so will gove it a try. Have you used it yourself?

Aye been using it since November, i am up to my 20th dose now, just watch out for cyano when using, and if you do get it cut back the dosing, just once a week now after twice a week for the first 10 weeks, and think i will change it to fortnightly use for with to fit in with my water changes.

Fluconazole also i have been using to kill my Bryopsis and it works.

Soldato
I'm kinda thinking that in my next tank I'll try to breed some Maroon Clownfish.
I've been looking at what tanks are available, red sea reefers, ea, elos.. All look amazing build quality, but I don't really want the light leak you get from open topped tanks. There doesn't seem to be many options for closed top tanks anymore, so it's probably going to have to be a custom. Could get expensive....

Back
Top Bottom