Scratch repair cost?

Soldato
Scratched a guys car while moving furniture into storage today and am trying to decide whether to put it through the insurance (£300 excess) or just pay for it and keep premiums down.

It's a small scratch and dent confined to the rear portion of his front fender. Anyone had any similar repair work done and know whether it'll cost the Earth or whether it'd just be a couple hundred quid?

Man of Honour
Depends if they'll be happy with a job from somewhere like chips away, I can't see it costing more than a couple of hundred from them but then if they want it sent to a proper bodyshop you'll probably want to lube up.

Soldato
OP
Depends if they'll be happy with a job from somewhere like chips away, I can't see it costing more than a couple of hundred from them but then if they want it sent to a proper bodyshop you'll probably want to lube up.

My concern is that he'll get a really expensive quote and then just pocket the cash. It's a work van so I doubt he's actually bothered about the damage. Is it a done thing to ask to pay the shop directly?

Soldato
How new is the van? Do you know if it's owned by a large company or himself?

Might be able to gauge on those factors what he's likely to do.

i.e. if the van is 10+ years old, then i'd be surprised if he has any intention of fixing it up, and will likely just want to pocket the cash.

As Tom says though, if he is genuine then he won't care in the slightest that you'll settle directly with the shop.

Don
As everyone else has said - get him to get a quote, and then you pay them up front direct, he then takes it in to be repaired at his leisure.

Depending on what vehicle/age will depend on what sort of repair you should both negotiate as acceptable. E.g. new or nearly new car then nothing less than a main dealer approved bodyshop, whereas for something 10+ years old and in relatively poor condition, then chipsaway or similar would be acceptable.

Soldato
OP
I have a picture but I'm out at the moment. It wasn't an ancient van and it didn't have other damage, so I'm not expecting any dodgy business. Just thinking about how to avoid it and how wide I should spread my cheeks

Soldato
Unless the person is really honest, they will give you a bodyshop quote which will obviously mean insurance.

Secondly you do not pay excess on third party damage, only damage to your own vehicle.

If you really want to avoid insurance then you will probably have to let them pocket the cash, likely above cheap repair quote but will be a lot less tha the bodyshop quote.

Yep tell him you'll settle the invoice direct, if he has no intention of profiting then it won't be an issue.

Except that results in an expensive quote. If someone else is paying, may as well have it done well, right?

Soldato
Just tell them you will offer £200 (or start at a lowball offer) which they can keep as a settlement.

Or its a case of getting it repaired where you or your insurance will pay directly to the repairer.

Soldato
OP
I've not heard back from him yet so fingers crossed he might just not be bothered enough, but it's still early days. At what point can he leave it until? Could he in theory get in touch next year?

Soldato
I've not heard back from him yet so fingers crossed he might just not be bothered enough, but it's still early days. At what point can he leave it until? Could he in theory get in touch next year?

If evidenced then yes. Also its not like you will claim in a year the accident never happened.

Back
Top Bottom