*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Just about to order myself a USG I just have one question though. If i want to create a separate guest network and have it on its own vlan so it is completely isolated from my main network do i require a unifi switch to achieve this? I see the option is already on the cloud controller to create a guest network out the box with a unifi AP but correct me if i am wrong, if i was to connect to this guest network and run a network scan i would see everything on the main network as well still?

Thanks all

Soldato
OP
I've got a pair of "UAP-LR AP" (the 2.4Ghz ones).

I bought them early last year when the price difference made sense given that we hardly use WiFi other than internet browsing for mobile phones, everything else is hard wired and 5Ghz (even with two of the AP's) likely wouldn't get everywhere I want in my 100 year old house.

I currently use the provided POE injectors but as part of an ambition to add some POE cameras to the house, I thought I'd get a POE switch.

Am I right in saying that the AP's I have use some alternative POE power levels that mean I can't just buy any POE switch?

Two things putting me off replacing my current 24 port switch with the Unifi POE option are:
1) My current switch is silent
2) £395 is possibly a little too much :D

An alternative to me is simply adding an 8 port POE switch - and I'm trying to decide between:
1) TP-LINK TL-SG1008PE 8-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch including 8-Port PoE 124W - £120
2) Ubiquiti UniFi Switch 8 Port 60W - US-8-60W - £144
3) Ubiquiti UniFi Switch 8 Port 150W - US-8-150W - £200

What do I need to consider with wattage requirements? Would the cheaper Unifi 60W switch let me run 2xAP and 6xHiikvision cameras?

Soldato
The TP-Link PoE switch won't power your access points as they use 24v passive PoE so you need a Unifi switch. The US-8-60W is 802.3af only so you'd need to look at the US-8-150W out of the 3 switches that you mentioned.

Edit - You can run those access points on 802.3af but you'll need an adapter such as this.

Soldato
I can't link them (I don't think) but Ubiquiti actually do both an indoor and outdoor version of a PoE converter to take it from 48v down to the 24v should you need to, they're not much money if you had other kit on your network and didn't want to go nuts on switches that have variable outputs.

Soldato
OP
How many items are you powering? I have an 8 port switch with 4 POE ports and that was £50.

In the first instance, I'll just have 2xAPs. When I buy the camera equipment I'll start with 3 to get the minimum coverage I want - so at least 5 ports required in total.

The TP-Link PoE switch won't power your access points as they use 24v passive PoE so you need a Unifi switch. The US-8-60W is 802.3af only so you'd need to look at the US-8-150W out of the 3 switches that you mentioned.

Edit - You can run those access points on 802.3af but you'll need an adapter such as this.

Cheers - wanting to avoid adapters and they just add to the cost so looks like the US-8-150W is winning at the moment.

I can't link them (I don't think) but Ubiquiti actually do both an indoor and outdoor version of a PoE converter to take it from 48v down to the 24v should you need to, they're not much money if you had other kit on your network and didn't want to go nuts on switches that have variable outputs.

Given I'd need to buy 2xconverters that would bump the price of the TP-Link switch to £180 in total. In turn, I'd happily pay the £20 extra to remove additional complexity to the network and buy the Ubiquiti switch.

Do I get more pretty graphs?!?! Which is the real reason I'm buying the POE switch of course! :)

Ninja Edit: Has anyone bought any of the Unifi cameras actually? How do they compare to Hiikvision stuff?

Soldato
Yep, you'll get more pretty graphs and another green dial in the controller.

This is what my dashboard view shows at present:
S5YO7KT.jpg

I've got 3 x US-8-150w switches, 1 x US-8 switch, 2 x AP-AC-LR and 1 x USG.

I haven't tried the cameras but I'm tempted. At some point I'll install a PoE switch in the loft and can then mount soem cameras up near the soffits.

Associate
I have a Ubituiti US-16-150W on order to complete my transition to a Ubiquiti setup - its quite addictive :cool:

So in the space of a couple of weeks i have gone from old apple airports and a BT HH to a USG - US-16-150W and a Pro and LTE AP

Phil G

Soldato
The LAN part lights up gren regardless of if you have Unifi switches. It will say 0 devices obviously though.

I've never seen the LAN part show green unless there is a Ubiquiti switch in the mix. My controller at home definitely didn't and I just checked 4 cloud keys I have dotted around the company and they all show the LAN part like this:

DfuQHEo.jpg

Soldato
I have a Ubituiti US-16-150W on order to complete my transition to a Ubiquiti setup - its quite addictive :cool:

So in the space of a couple of weeks i have gone from old apple airports and a BT HH to a USG - US-16-150W and a Pro and LTE AP

Phil G

I wish I had bought the US-16-150W instead of 2 x US-8-150W. I wanted to keep my study as quiet as possible so went for the 8 port switches over the 16 as the 16 port has a fan. It was only after I'd installed the 8 port switches that it was pointed out to me that the fan on teh 16 port switch only runs when it needs to and changes are wouldn't need to run much, if at all. Bah.

Soldato
Re: Cameras.

Do some research I'm sure I've read they are a closed system so you HAVE to use theirs and cant add any other Manufacturers...

Soldato
I've never seen the LAN part show green unless there is a Ubiquiti switch in the mix. My controller at home definitely didn't and I just checked 4 cloud keys I have dotted around the company and they all show the LAN part like this:

I don't know what to tell you, mine has always been lit up even though multiple re-installs.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom