PC Gaming Nostalgia

Soldato
I'm sure these threads pop up every now and then.

Does anybody else suffer with bouts of pc gaming nostalgia, is pc gaming what it used to be or have I changed you ask yourself.

I remember fond memories of playing Half Life 2, Portal, L4D, Battlefield 2. Bioshock (when it first came out it blew me away)

Memories of people you used to link up with who you haven't spoken to in ages, they had your back as a medic in BF2 though :p it was just all a bit more simple back then?

I just struggle to get motivated nowadays and always remember the 'good old times' with pc gaming anybody else the same?

I think we need a massive A+ pc title again?

I'm not sure, it's 1.30am and my mind is racing maybe I should just try to sleep :p

Soldato
I think we need a massive A+ pc title again?

I doubt we'll see anything like that for donkey's years. Everything these days is dumbed down for the idiot generation and their 30 second attention span. Imagine how a FPS title being released now that had no autosave points, no quicksaves, no hiding behind a box to gain magic health regen., no magic x-ray vision and bullets that killed you in one or two shots would be received.

Soldato
And 10 years ago people would be saying the exact same thing. I'd say its mostly because you're older and wiser, probably with a job and less free time. I think everyone had more fun with gaming when they were a child and teenager.

Imagine how a FPS title being released now that had no autosave points, no quicksaves, no hiding behind a box...

Quicksaving is the older way of doing things! Much older (and in my opinion better) than the more modern 'checkpoint' system that seems to replace quicksaving.

Soldato
I think the problem is back in the "Good old days" the amount of games being produced compared to now is sparse in comparison.

The market is so saturated currently that games just don't grab the attention of people like they used to, you get maybe 1 or 2 half decent games a year and the rest are just remakes and cash grabs :(

Soldato
I find there are so many good games now that it's impossible to play them all. Still have a few very well received games that I haven't even started yet. First world problems indeed.

Soldato
The 'good old days',.......... the days of Windows crashes, IRQ conflicts, bad drivers, buggy games expensive internet. I wouldn't wish those days on anyone. Sure the games had charm but most haven't aged that well although I would content with downloading dosbox and playing through Tie Fighter.

Thug
Soldato
A good clean remake of BF2.

A decent non case orientated, glove wearing Counter Strike.

More RPG esque games like the original Deus Ex/Vampire Bloodlines.

Soldato
Ah SOF2 multiplayer, those were the days, about 2003 iirc. That game was brilliant and was played by me and my mates for years - you know who you are...

I've still got several copies (I must have purchased 10 or so in my life). I had another crack about a year ago but although there were servers, they were bots only. Still bought the memories flooding back. There was nothing like it on any other platform. Raven software I always loved you!

Associate
It was all about MoH:AA for me, and then BF2. I actually went on MoH:AA the other day, had great fun, loads of servers still online. Freeze tag best game mode ever!

Soldato
Used to play moh:as with a few mates. A few used to play with 'the poofs' on as they called it, see through walls, aim not and the characters as solid covers.

Solo gaming I enjoyed playing through HL2 but was never part of the original. I spent ages on gta3 after school.

All I play now is a but of LoL ARAM and TF2 on occasion.

Associate
Earth and beyond, we can still play it, proper grinder game, i love it.
check it out

It is amazing just abit grindy

Please try it out

Earth and beyond,

Just type
Net-7
then download the demo

Last edited:
Permabanned
Think its a bit of both, a) getting older, so gaming is not quite the same b) some game have slipped, its easier now to make lots of games to make money, than make one good one. ) and a safer bet as well I guess) Unlike most people I don't begrudge this as I believe we get what we want.

Everyone for years now always crying about wanting this and that, jumping to the next new shinny best thing, can't blame game developers TBH.

Permabanned
Ah SOF2 multiplayer, those were the days, about 2003 iirc. That game was brilliant and was played by me and my mates for years - you know who you are...

I've still got several copies (I must have purchased 10 or so in my life). I had another crack about a year ago but although there were servers, they were bots only. Still bought the memories flooding back. There was nothing like it on any other platform. Raven software I always loved you!
Agreed I had a clan back then called *|F|eaR (gulp yeah I know :D) we were for a while no1 on Dem and CTF on Clanbase in SOF2, the cheaters finished that game off, B........

Caporegime
People often mistake nostalgia for objectively better. Just because things are now different from what you are used to, doesn't make it worse.

some games you think were amazing were actually **** seen this odd time when you go revisit them and think my god this is actually bad :p

we are spoilt now with so many different titles game choices that often its hard to find the real great games amongst the crap.

my personal old favs would be cod 1 and call of duty united offense.i would actually play them today if i knew enough of a player base was there to make it fun for me.thing is who you play the games with can be as important as the game its self. even a bad game can be great fun with a good bunch of mates.

Back
Top Bottom