Note 4/5 owners - what is your next phone?

I'm upgrading this summer from my Note 4. Just wondered what you guys are going for? I don't think I could go back below a 5.7" screen any more.

My understanding is that the ill-fated Note 7 has ended the Note series? So what we have left now is the S-series phone (S8 coming out soon), and the Edge-series phone will be marketed as their new 'Note'?

The phone will need to be Android for me as I have invested a bit in the Play store.

Soldato
I went for the S7 Edge after my Note 4 (back in October). I didn't need the Note functions like the pen anymore. Its a bit smaller and lighter but not enough that you would notice. The whole 'edge' screen thing is a bit gimicky but it worked out a bit cheaper than the standard S7.

Don
Somebody mentioned in the Note 7 thread on here that there will be a Note 8 coming out at some point.

I swapped my Note 7 (had the 5 before that) for the Pixel XL and while I can't really say a bad word about the Pixel, I do miss the Note 7. Had it not been a time bomb then it was shaping up to be by far the best Note and better than any other phone I've had.

edit: Here we go:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/30367741/

Soldato
OP
Cheers guys :)

End of contract for me (assuming no early termination) is July 2017. So that will be after the S8 and a bit before the Note 8 if that comes to fruition. So I'm in a good position between the 2 handsets, although I fear a Note 8 contract will cost a bomb! I got away with paying £37/month for the Note 4 but that was only because I didn't get it until July 2015 which was quite late.

Associate
I just paid Samsung UK £156 to replace the screen on my N4. Could have had it done cheaper but I like things done right.

Currently no other phone on the market that can replace it for me. Looked at a S7 edge but didn't seem worth it with the extra outlay. My next phone will be in the Note series hopefully.

Soldato
tough one. Samsung damn sure arent getting getting my custom anymore but if they were i'd consider the s8 as although i liked the stylus i didnt really use it that much as the screens just too small for anything other than drawing with the stylus, really..

One plus 3t is a solid phone? The new moto looks good even if it isnt top of the pile. Mi Mix is an interesting phone. I dont think its about all out performance for me, any more. That's why i bought a cheap phone when my note 4 went belly up (for the second time) and samsung refused to fix it.

I got away with paying £37/month for the Note 4 but that was only because I didn't get it until July 2015 which was quite late.

I got mine in March '15 and paid that for unlimited data on three.

Associate
25th March my contract is up and I will be going Plusnet SIM only no new replacement worth the cost.

I paid £29.50 Month for my contract

Soldato
Think I'm just going to keep the Note 4 till stuff doesn't work anymore and go for one of those £12pm sim only contracts

Phones just don't excite me anymore :(

Caporegime
Note 4 owner here...I'm holding out for the Note 8 (or whatever it ends up being called) and will probably get one sim free at or near release.

I love the Note phones and for my usage (in particular how much I use the s-pen) they're by far the best phone on the market.

Soldato
Had my note 4 since launch & had hoped to move to a note 8 if it ever releases.
Have considered a Pixel XL but nothing else really grabs me atm.
Hopefully something new will be out soon although TBH my note 4 does everything I want it to.

Man of Honour
Been wondering myself - I own both a Note 1 and Note 4 but with all the stories and some random reboots/occasional random extreme heat build up at certain spots I suspect the 4 isn't going to last the longest and planning on replacing it within a few months - there is a lot I do like about the phone though and wouldn't want to go to anything too different.

If it wasn't for the lack of 4G and the eMMC bug meaning I can't update Android any more I'd stick with the Note 1 TBH - seems bulletproof and still does everything I want except 4G.

Soldato
OP
I've just looked up the new Samsung S8 / S8+ and they are 5.8" and 6.2" respectively!!

So the S8+ might be my next phone. Upgrade date will be July, so there should be plenty of them around by then.

If they're too expensive, like over £45/month, then I'll just keep my Note 4 and go sim-only.

Associate
I do like my note 4, one big like is the removable battery the note 4 as, the original battery had worn out so got a replacement, no big issue with the note 4, but with any of the latest samsung phones they are all sealed, so if like me like to keep a phone for more than a year, the battery is going to be a issue sooner or later, so going to keep my note 4 for a bit longer, untill all stops working i think.

Soldato
I do like my note 4, one big like is the removable battery the note 4 as, the original battery had worn out so got a replacement, no big issue with the note 4, but with any of the latest samsung phones they are all sealed, so if like me like to keep a phone for more than a year, the battery is going to be a issue sooner or later, so going to keep my note 4 for a bit longer, untill all stops working i think.

I thought quite a bit about upgrading, but the removable battery is a must for me... I don't need to worry about keeping my phone on change all the time... I have 3 spare battery's one at home, 1 in the car one at work... I just swap the battery out... the next killer feature for me would be a phone (exactly the same as my note 4) where the batters was still at 50% by the end of a heavy day usage instead of flat

Associate
just finished my 2 year contract 4 days ago. Thought it would end automatically as I had signed up for 24months but it carried on. I was meant to give 30 days notice? -_-
bought rolling contract with virgin. 6gb for £12 with data rollover. Going to buy s8 once it comes out.

Back
Top Bottom