• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Zotac Warranty

Associate
Looking to get a 1080Ti and noticed the Zotac's in stock, does anyone know if they are OK warranty wise in you replacing the heatsink or putting it under water?

Thanks

Soldato
No problem with Zotac myself on past use but yeah they are a little fussy with removing/touching their coolers etc.

Depends if you are wanting to watercool on when I have recommended them but not had bad CS previous.

Associate
Hi not sure what the problem is with Zotac.

I have had a Zotac 980ti Amp since launch. Also nice to know that it has 5 years warranty. I know some people say you have to send it to Hong Kong. Which worst case could cost £25 after 3 years but surely this is better than an out of warranty one that you cant send anywhere.

Soldato
Zotac are heads and shoulders above the cowboys that are Asus, I'll never touch another Asus product again after a couple of bad experiences.
I sent my old Zotac 780 off to them a few years ago and received a 780Ti back so was well happy but it did take while which was down to nothing other than geography but where possible I try to stick to EVGA these days.

Soldato
Zotac warranty is with OCUK (if bought from there obviously) and the extended is with Zotac.

I've had 2 Zotac cards, neither had any issues. Though not sure on warranty and cooler removal, they won't be alone if they don't accept it. My MSI has a sticker on one of the heatsink screws for example.

Associate
Looking to get a 1080Ti and noticed the Zotac's in stock, does anyone know if they are OK warranty wise in you replacing the heatsink or putting it under water?

Thanks

Definitely not, Zotac expressly state in the T&Cs of their warranty that any tampering with a GPU heatsink & fan give them the right to void the warranty.

Soldato
Hi not sure what the problem is with Zotac.

I have had a Zotac 980ti Amp since launch. Also nice to know that it has 5 years warranty. I know some people say you have to send it to Hong Kong. Which worst case could cost £25 after 3 years but surely this is better than an out of warranty one that you cant send anywhere.

£25 to hong kong sounds like its sans insurance which is a pretty risky proposition

Your retailer is responsible anyway so it would be cheaper to send it in and get them to RMA it for you in that case

Associate
Yes good point as you contract is with the supplier. Definitely better to have 5 years especially when they are hitting £800 now!

Only for I believe the first 3yrs in this case because the 5yr warranty is "a limited warranty". Normally (unless expressly stated) its only 12months and then you fall back on statutory consumer rights where you have to argue quality issues or have to deal with the manufacturer.

Guys you need to have your eyes open in these matters, just be aware and check your facts before splashing out with any trader and what's not in writing (email & digital comms now counts btw) is not worth anything.

Associate
I reckon just wait for EVGA at a decent price imho

ocuk might be holding stock atm and just putting zotac up because its the only card in stock in the whole of the UK rn so it will sell regardless ;)

Soldato
Only for I believe the first 3yrs in this case because the 5yr warranty is "a limited warranty". Normally (unless expressly stated) its only 12months and then you fall back on statutory consumer rights where you have to argue quality issues or have to deal with the manufacturer.

Guys you need to have your eyes open in these matters, just be aware and check your facts before splashing out with any trader and what's not in writing (email & digital comms now counts btw) is not worth anything.

Your contract is always with the retailer, you have 6 years from date of purchase to raise a claim that the goods were not fit for purpose or not of satisfactory quality - if its advertised as having a 5 year warranty and fails after 3-4 years then it isnt of satisfactory quality. The retailer can send the card off to the manufacturer and make you wait up to 28 days, but ultimately if the manufacturer messes you about its the retailer that has to fix it.

Soldato
Your contract is always with the retailer, you have 6 years from date of purchase to raise a claim that the goods were not fit for purpose or not of satisfactory quality - if its advertised as having a 5 year warranty and fails after 3-4 years then it isnt of satisfactory quality. The retailer can send the card off to the manufacturer and make you wait up to 28 days, but ultimately if the manufacturer messes you about its the retailer that has to fix it.

Not quite as black and white as that. As the 5 year is an extended warranty and this falls outside the standard 3 years which the retailer is responsible for. And also claiming it was not fit for purpose because it failed after the initial 3 year period is actually very difficult and that is the reason they use the term extended warranty.

Fit for purpose means that it has to be a graphics card basically and nothing more. Just like if you brought a mattress for a bed at size 'X' if they sent size 'Y' then it is not fit for purpose as can not be used. Not that it was the right size but I decided I need a new one 5 years later because it is not as comfy.

And it also just means that basically the goods sold must match a sample shown, or any description in a brochure or website. I think you need to read this to clarify. The fault needs to be at the time of recieving the goods. You can in no way prove that after 3 years of use that it hasn't just worn out under general use.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

Back
Top Bottom