Wet room and bathroom project underway (progress pics)

Caporegime
OP
Don't be sorry, we're quite happy. It's taken them 3 weeks. Fitting cost was £5k. Furniture, shower, mirror, towel heater etc. are all decent quality kit.

All three quotes were similar ballpark and we paid extra for a fancy showroom (had to be a designer bricks and mortar place rather than some transient independent tradesman).

Soldato
So is it grey or brown ? your pictures #13 earlier showed brown and grey slate'ish shots ? (prefer the grey myself ;) )

What is the texture on the tiles at the end of the shower, obviously intended to look rough, but up close ?

Given the pipe upgrade, you have a pressurized system ? to provide the umph to the shower
(the rain head looks pretty high up, 2nd floor too)

Caporegime
OP
So is it grey or brown ? your pictures #13 earlier showed brown and grey slate'ish shots ? (prefer the grey myself ;) )

What is the texture on the tiles at the end of the shower, obviously intended to look rough, but up close ?

It's definitely grey. The brown look was purely the light / bad photo. These photos should show it (and the split tiles) better:

S9GgdD2h.jpg

sTmSZkhh.jpg

EKKADq1h.jpg

The floor tiles are high grip ones so they don't get slippery when wet.

Given the pipe upgrade, you have a pressurized system ? to provide the umph to the shower
(the rain head looks pretty high up, 2nd floor too)

Yes it's an unvented / high pressure system. The rain head has been positioned correctly for the height of the users; maybe the sloping roof makes it look higher than it really is.

Soldato
looks good
so I also have a potential bathroom project like this

I could make it a wet room too but unsure
what made you go for the wet room than a traditional bathroom shower?

Caporegime
OP
looks good
so I also have a potential bathroom project like this

I could make it a wet room too but unsure
what made you go for the wet room than a traditional bathroom shower?

Perceived coolness basically. Fancied it for a change.

It was finished today, but for the basin, which is being swapped out for one without a tap hole, and accessories, which just need to be located and screwed in.

rzcEZHBh.jpg

8KI6iWah.jpg

The mirror cabinet's pretty cool; gesture switched LEDs within the mirror face.

Soldato
Would be nice to have gesture switches of some kind on the toilet flush, but I guess with water/electric interaction that is $$$

I have not really got the trend for shallow large area wash basins, versus the traditional you had showed,
they seem less practical ? need a fair amount of water to get some depth for washing face/hair, even brushing teeth
& flushing residue, it is harder to rinse whole basin.
Folks recently had taps replaced with the style you see in operating theatres (3-4" arms) which I think is quite practical too.

Also having a mirror directly above basin is useful : shaving ... flossing/brushing - but maybe swapping the toilet
and basin would have been impractical.

Caporegime
OP
Looks great.

What tile trims did you use?

Didn't see the brand but they're flat chrome ones.

Would be nice to have gesture switches of some kind on the toilet flush, but I guess with water/electric interaction that is $$$

I have not really got the trend for shallow large area wash basins, versus the traditional you had showed,
they seem less practical ? need a fair amount of water to get some depth for washing face/hair, even brushing teeth
& flushing residue, it is harder to rinse whole basin.
Folks recently had taps replaced with the style you see in operating theatres (3-4" arms) which I think is quite practical too.

Also having a mirror directly above basin is useful : shaving ... flossing/brushing - but maybe swapping the toilet
and basin would have been impractical.

I'd have probably had the toilet beneath the window and the sink beneath the mirror. However it does all look very nice.

Totally agree with the mirror above sink comments, unfortunately this wasn't an option due to a) the location of the soil pipe under the floor and b) not many people want a toilet right in front of the door. Our solution is to open the left hand mirror door on the cabinet; that way you can use it for shaving etc. (though I shave in the shower).

Couple more pics of the finished article:

O7Z9Lzah.jpg

TU1zgQah.jpg

And today they started ripping out the main bathroom and putting up stud work:

nZh15yBh.jpg

C3irLLbh.jpg

Tomorrow the electrician is here for first fix of the towel heater, lights, shower controller, and underfloor heating.

The fitter has just told me he intends to put down a membrane and tile onto that, rather than over boarding...not sure how keen I am on that method. He assured me there's no movement in the floor boards.

Caporegime
OP
Finished en suite looks nice!

Is the other bathroom getting back boarded to put insulation behind it? Otherwise you'll just be losing out extra internal space?
No as that's an internal (block) wall, so no need for insulation.

The stud wall on the left hand wall is for a few reasons...because we're having recessed alcoves, to hide the pipes and the soil pipe entry point, and because the wall bows and is not vertical.

We do lose some space because of this.

Soldato
Finish on the ensuite looks lovely it does seem like a lot of cash but as long as your happy that's all that matters. Looking forward to seeing the main bathroom progress and the finished article.

Our bathroom should be finished ready for final electrics and painting today which will be nice after nearly a month without it due mainly to plumbing delays moving the boiler and the need to dig about 11ft down for the footings on our new kitchen extension!

Caporegime
OP
Well cash matters to me as well as being happy, but like I said I had three very similar quotes, so what can one do :).

I've had someone in this thread telling me it's expensive but on second thoughts, they hadn't included labour or overheads / profit margin...

Everyone likes to say things are too expensive, that they could get it done cheaper by the local handy man, or their wife's uncle, etc, but often when you delve deeper, it's incomparable for any number of reasons.

Anyway today's drama is that we got home and they'd accidentally replaced our 250m3 inline Manrose fan with a mere 110m3 one! And the spark hadn't questioned it at all, apparently.

Also the fan in our ensuite doesn't switch off when we switch off the isolator switch. Seems that the permanent live isn't isolated, only the switched is. Not sure I'm confident in the capability of this electrician at the moment!

Associate
Well I have to say the ensuite looks really nice. Always fancied a wet room - may be one day.
One question; would have it been possible to switch the basin to the adjacent wall and have the mirror over it then? Also is it a de-misting mirror? (would love one of those).

Soldato
Who are you using to do your bathroom? Started looking for someone to do ours and just wondering what brick and mortar place you used :D

Back
Top Bottom