Decent Android tablet under £200?

itm

itm

Associate
I'm looking a a responsive Android tablet (7/8/10 inch) for less than £200. It'll be permanently located at my bedside (and usually connected to a power source), and will be primarily used for email, web browsing and checking news feeds. Occasional access to iPlayer/Youtube.

I've been using a Nexus 7 (2012) and it's just died. Even before it did, it was getting horribly slow and unresponsive (e.g. I was frequently waiting 15-20 seconds to type after opening a web browser or composing an email), so I'm looking for something to replace it that won't suffer from terrible lag.

Things that are important to me:
- general responsiveness (i.e. no lag when doing the kinds of things described above)
- at least 16Gb storage
- ideally a Micro SD card slot

Things are that not important:
- screen resolution (e.g. 1280 x 800 would be fine)
- battery life (I only use it for 10-15 mins per day. The rest of the time I can leave it on charge).

Does anyone have any recommendations? At the moment I'm considering the Asus Zenpad 8 Z580C and Lenovo tab a10-30. I've had bad experiences with Acer Iconia tablets in the past (serious wifi bugs, generally terrible responsiveness and appalling attitude from support staff), so I'd like to avoid buying Acer again.

I have a bunch of vouchers for Currys, so it would be a bonus if I could buy something from there, but not essential.

TIA for any feedback/suggestions.

itm

itm

Associate
OP
What did you end up getting?

For a friend, looking at Lenovo Yoga Tab 10 £170 (or plus version £250).

At first I went for a Fusion5 10.1 inch tablet (model 108), but after returning 2 faulty units I got a refund. Both units would frequently not turn on when I pressed the power button, requiring a hard reboot to revive them. Shame, as the performance was amazing.
I then bought an ex-demo Asus Zenpad 10 Z300C (about £98 including postage). So far I've been extremely happy with it. No lag, and a nice looking unit.

Soldato
If you don't mind me hijacking your thread on similar issue, I am contemplating, for a friend:

Acer Iconia tab 10 A3-A40 £150
2GB RAM / 32GB HD / 4x1.5Ghz / 1920x1200 / Android 6 / 5Mp camera / 6100mAh / no sim / micro hdmi

Lenovo Yoga tab 3 10 £150-£170
2GB RAM / 16GB HD / 4x1.3Ghz / 1280x800 / Android 6 / 8Mp camera / 8400mAh / sim

In either case I will add an SD card, so HD size not an issue. Just for general use...videos, games for toddlers, net browsing, nothing too taxing.

Discounted the Lenovo Tab 2 as it is too old (2015). Lenovo Yoga tab 3 plu £250 would be ideal but a lot more expensive. Any alternative suggestions welcome.

Last edited:
Associate
Just got a Asus Zenpad Z380M 120 quid, seems decent for the price.
Quad 1.3 / 8" / 1280x800 / 2mb / 16gb / microSD slot / Android 6 / 5MP rear 2MP front

Soldato
I got a Samsung Tab Pro 10" and quite honestly Im in love with it.

My nVidia, Lenovo, and Asus are all now hardly used... Oh and my HP Slate too!

I used to have it with me in hospital, as I have had a huge number of operations and I have spent weeks in there at a time, and the Tab Pro never let me down.

I still use it every day just to watch a TV program or whatever before bed, I also use it for the GPS for giggles in the car, and the battery seems to be some kind of alien device because I only seem to need to charge it up once in a blue moon.

To be honest, my Note 3, Tab 3 7" and this Tab Pro 10" all have battery lives that are ridiculously long... Compare that with my note 5 that has a battery that lasts a couple of hours tops, and even on 100% charge will not let me watch a movie before it dies. Samsung whats your problem guys FFS!

Anyway, no Samsung Tab Pro 10" has to be the best tablet I have.

Back
Top Bottom