Private car sale woes - 3 year update - car driven with no MOT

Soldato
Write back to her and explain everything you just explained here (fan belt, other noise never an issue, chain drive, even her boyfriend saying it sounded fine).

If you really wanted to be nice you could put her in touch with wherever told you it was chain drive noise.

But yeah, basically, SOGA doesnt apply to private sales. And it also sounds like whatever garage she's used are trying it on to get some extra hours billed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Zero response required, you have done nothing untoward.

If by some miracle they try and take things further just write down everything you've said here clearly ( with regards the car when sold etc), state you are not a mechanic or trader and move on.

If you feel particularly inclined then provide a written response now.

Caporegime
in your situation i would have told her from the start. i don't wish to mix business with work.

also women are the most horrible people to deal with when it comes to gossip, talking behind peoples backs interfering in each others business. 90% of the issues in my workplace are caused by women and their constant bitching.

no doubt you have learnt this lesson the hard way

Soldato
Personally I would just do a refund and sell the car to someone else as this is just going to cause a load of hassle at work (and why I would never sell a car to friends or family).

But you haven't got the money so you are a bit stuck, either play hard ball and be prepared for office hassle or try to find some amicable solution.

Legally though I don't think you have requirement to help, they clearly knew about the whine on purchase.

Caporegime
Doesn't the AA receipt thing say that it's sold as seen and no warranty is implied or given?

Edit, clearly says:
It is understood by the purchaser that the vehicle is sold as seen, tried and approved without guarantee

Associate
Sounds like they intentionally purchased it despite known issues, to use your car as a rental whilst they source another longer term one. Work colleagues are rarely ever friends, unless you were already before or remain after leaving a workplace.

Associate
As I said before just ignore the threats, etc. The only thing to remember though is to keep things civil in work (as in just another co-worker) as from what you've said of her, her next port of call would be trying a conduct issue in work for some sort of revenge.

BTW, does she have a letterbox!?

Agree that you may need to check out the conduct in work issue.

No-one knows the full overly bureaucratic policies but I vaguely recall for my work policy there may be something about selling things in work. Now I think that is more proactive selling it by advertising etc, but I suppose it would be open to interpretation.

Soldato
OP
So many replies, will try and respond to all in one, have a stinking hangover. Have mild anxiety issues and this has really exacerbated things.

@MissChief - it's kind of a low whine that's present when you're driving at all speeds, seemed plausible to me it'd be the kind of noise a chain driven engine would make. I've had the car in a few times at my regular garage and they've had to test drive it after two jobs, i'm thinking they would have mentioned it at the time if they thought it was an issue.

@chaparral - 1.3 suzuki swift, 10 years old. What's not clear is if it actually isn't safe to drive and if she is over reacting, as i've said a few times, the noise has always been present from day one we bought the car. The gearbox changes have always been smooth.

About keeping things civil...it's gone past that now, she has gone the "legal action" route and any kind of friendship we had is done. I got together with a few friends last night from work who already knew all about this as she'd been bad mouthing us to others at work. Seems they knew about this issue before we did.

@Gaygle - sale was for £1700, we were going to list on AT as £2000 with the expectation of £1800, the listing itself costs £60 so felt like it was a fair price and also helped her out as she was desperate for a car that weekend. We even let her take the car before we had the full payment, she gave us a cheque for £1000 and cash two days later. As she's local and works in the same place, I wasn't worried about not getting paid. As i've said, considered her an actual friend.

The dealer we bought it from initially is also local, not sure if he'd remember us 18 months later, might be worth a try, will drop him a line tomorrow.

This is the receipt I used, first one that came up on google when she asked me. http://www.theaa.com/car-buying/buyers-sellers-contracts

Just noticed this on the letter she sent that I must have scanned past yesterday, it's just after the part where she wrote that I had reassured her the noise was normal as the car had a chain belt.

"I agreed to buy the car but did not inform the seller that for peace of mind I would be having the car checked over at the main suzuki dealership." It goes on to say on the 18th March a technician took it around the estate, confirmed it had a problem and would need to be booked in. She still continued to use it all week until Friday just gone when she told me about the issues.

I think i've covered most of the replies, if I missed anything, just ask again.

Associate
Agree that you may need to check out the conduct in work issue.

No-one knows the full overly bureaucratic policies but I vaguely recall for my work policy there may be something about selling things in work. Now I think that is more proactive selling it by advertising etc, but I suppose it would be open to interpretation.
In this situation I'd be inclined to inform HR of the whole situation, pointing out how it had nothing to do with work and now things are no longer civil between them. Point out that a complaint from her could happen if she doesn't get her own way. Making them aware from the offset would certainly help in any situation like this.

Soldato
OP
In this situation I'd be inclined to inform HR of the whole situation, pointing out how it had nothing to do with work and now things are no longer civil between them. Point out that a complaint from her could happen if she doesn't get her own way. Making them aware from the offset would certainly help in any situation like this.

I'd never even considered this, the issues that could be caused for my wife and I. I'll see out the week and if things do get sticky, then i'll inform HR.

Associate
Agree with what everyone else has said...

Private sale for SOGA doesn't apply.
Issue was mentioned along with what you were told it was.
You weren't untrue, or attempted to conceal anything.
Buyer heard issue, and agreed with what you said.
Buyer bought car at asking price with no request to have it inspected before sale.
Buyer has been given a "worst case scenario"/dealer thinks they can get a nice payday, as a result they no longer want it.

You've got a few options imo (personally I would do number 2):
1. Ignore correspondence
2. Reply stating they bought it, and as a private seller you are under no obligation to refund & they weren't mislead or miss-sold, therefore you will not be entering into the discussion any further, and no further correspondence will be replied to.
3. As above, but give them an offer of refunding 75% of the purchase price (to cover the inconvenience) if they have changed their mind about the purchase, as long as the vehicle is returned in the same condition it was sold.

Soldato
Err, what on earth is going on.

Why would you treat someone you know like this? This isn't some random person you will never meet again. Would you have done this to a friend?

A refund seemed like a sensible outcome to me. Can go and sell it to someone else. You are no worse off than before.

People posting in this thread don't have to live with the consequences of being a stubborn, unfriendly person. Don't listen to them.

Having to inform HR things aren't civil. Jeez.

Soldato
Imagine if this became public knowledge at work. You might think you are right, but I can guarantee negative opinions will be formed as some will feel the other person was hard done by.

People in forums have a tendency to leap to the side of the person posting.

Associate
Err, what on earth is going on.

Why would you treat someone you know like this? This isn't some random person you will never meet again. Would you have done this to a friend?

A refund seemed like a sensible outcome to me. Can go and sell it to someone else. You are no worse off than before.

People posting in this thread don't have to live with the consequences of being a stubborn, unfriendly person. Don't listen to them.

Having to inform HR things aren't civil. Jeez.

A friend would have discussed the problem with you so that you could come to a solution that you're both happy with. Not send a letter threatening legal action before you even know there's a problem.

I do partially agree with what you're saying though - it's not a great situation and basically OP is screwed no matter what he does.

Back
Top Bottom