So my 540i has finally died

Soldato

It's more the case of the seller knowing he has a lemon and sells it without telling the buyer.
When it goes wrong and the buyer finds out it was clearly a lemon before he bought it, then the buyer can take action to get money back.

It's not the same as it used to be in the sense you've got absolutely zero comeback if you write "sold as seen" on a bit of paper.
The exception to this is if the seller has clearly mentioned the faults of the car.

If you know about faults and the buyer can prove it, you're in trouble.

My friend succesfully took a guy to small claims as well as the MOT tester because it was clearly not roadworthy once he'd spent more than a few days with it.

Soldato
I reckon you'd get decent money for it even in that state - there's probably plenty of people who either have a working engine lying around or can easily find one for vastly less than the cost of replacing the HG. The values of these have gone up quite a bit in recent years and finding one which is cosmetically as good as yours wouldn't be easy at all.

Associate
OP
There's no way I'd do something as amigafan is suggesting. I've had motorbikes stolen and burned out, been hit by an uninsured driver and selling a ticking timebomb V8 stuffed up with gunk would put me on the same level. Not happening. Poke that idea!

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I reckon you'd get decent money for it even in that state - there's probably plenty of people who either have a working engine lying around or can easily find one for vastly less than the cost of replacing the HG. The values of these have gone up quite a bit in recent years and finding one which is cosmetically as good as yours wouldn't be easy at all.
Definitely this, someone with the expertise to do their own engine swap will have this car if it's as good as it looks. The engine was produced for ages and in big numbers, they are easy to come by used as a complete unit...

Soldato
Yep, someone will buy it even if it's not running. They will fix it up themselves. As long as the bodywork and chassis is good, the mechanical stuff is a couple of days work for some people.

Soldato
eBay is great for stuff like this. Though people do expect a bargain. Throw it on with no reserve and see what it fetches if you're not to fussed about £££. More than likely you'll get a mechanic buying it or some European who will export it back home.

Associate
What mileage is your car?

I currently have my 540i sitting outside my flat after a write off which has a strong engine and new gearbox....

How much do you want for your car? One way to get mine alive again may be to transplant the bits into yours...either that or a crazy E60 V10 project!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Took a load of photos this weekend, putting together an ebay ad http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/122416474385?

Not too impressed with bodywork after its been in my dads ownership.
Maybe I just remember it better than it really was, but its looking tired now.

@Ian - thank you for your email, I only recently saw it in the Junk folder!
Am not looking to swap bits off the car at this time, will see if I can see it as a whole first. Good luck with your champagne e39. Car is in Sutton, which is a fair trek from your location.

@Kiethton - I'll be honest, I've no idea what its worth. I'm going to see what it gets (or doesnt!) get on ebay for now.

Last edited:
Associate
My 540 @ 260k miles used to loose oil... It went into the spark plug tubes! Was the gaskets for the valve covers. Common problem.

It also over heated, and that was a leaking water pump.

It is now still going strong in Russia apparently.

Caporegime
Your advert comes across as very antagonistic, and discloses things that need not be mentioned.

Don't include this, it will only put people off and won't be noticeable if it was done properly:

Front wing and door professionally repainted following keying by a vandal.

Or this, if someone wants it, let them have it. You don't need to tell them what it can and can't be used for in your opinion. What does it matter to you if it is bought for commuting, by a young driver, for doing the school run, or for a 70 year old? It is none of your concern whatsoever!

This car should be bought for any of the following reasons.
Engine swap 4.4 M62 from the 5 series, 7 series, and X5 or the L322 Range Rover)
Engine strip and repair by professional
Dismantle and strip for spares
Export
This car should not be bought for any of the following reasons
regular commuting (unless you own a petrol refinery!)
young drivers
doing the schoolrun
driving it around without repairing the engine "because it'll be ok for a bit" (its a V8!)
for your 70 year old mum

Or this, its only minor but its a detail which doesn't need to be there. Tell them the spare display comes with the car, and no more. They might assume it will be a 5 minute job:

, will require fitting
(1 hour job with minor handtools)

Or this which is seriously contradictory considering that you are selling it as spares or repairs because of a major oil leak and possible head gasket failure:

No known serious issues.

This will put a lot of people off. There is nothing wrong with using Paypal Gift or Bank Transfer (particularly the latter):

No paypal, bank transfer, cheques or offers to buy from persons magically returning from overseas and just needing a few personal details before wiring a big pile of money. No swaps.
Cash only.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Your advert comes across as very antagonistic, and discloses things that need not be mentioned.

You're probably right, wasn't something I enjoyed doing. I'm no salesman, its been pointed out to me a few times in my life.

Don't include this, it will only put people off and won't be noticeable if it was done properly:

Just trying to be honest. My dad paid 500 notes to have the paint sorted, and when I saw it this weekend - I wasn't that impressed. But he thinks he's done me a favour. And he thinks its a selling point. So I said I'd mention it.

Or this, if someone wants it, let them have it. You don't need to tell them what it can and can't be used for in your opinion. What does it matter to you if it is bought for commuting, by a young driver, for doing the school run, or for a 70 year old? It is none of your concern whatsoever!

This bit really got your goat didn't it!

You're right, I didn't need to include any of it. Equally I don't fancy fielding questions from 17 year olds who haven't worked out they'd have to sell kidneys to insure it. It's bad enough all the one-off questions of "Wots yur bestest price for csh?". It's an auction. Bid what you like, take it away if you win. Lower it, put spinners on it and tint the windows for all I care. (I would care, but not enough to stop a sale).

Or this, its only minor but its a detail which doesn't need to be there. Tell them the spare display comes with the car, and no more. They might assume it will be a 5 minute job:

Its not a 5 minute job though. Its an hours work, take the instrument cluster out, dismantle it, replace the matrix, reassemble, refit the cluster. Its a really common fault, the part was dead cheap and that's how long it takes. There's even a youtube and instruction guide.

Or this which is seriously contradictory considering that you are selling it as spares or repairs because of a major oil leak and possible head gasket failure:

Yeah, I need to reword that. I guess I was saying "No known other serious faults"

This will put a lot of people off. There is nothing wrong with using Paypal Gift or Bank Transfer (particularly the latter):

I'm not using Paypal. I don't trust it. The ease with which Paypal can be used to scam myself (or some other poor schmo with a weak password, stolen paypal accounts not exactly being unheard of) its just not worth it to me.

Bank Transfer, agreed, that should be fine - but the cars at my dads, and being an old fashioned sort, he'd much prefer a bundle of notes rather than something shown to him on a phone. I'd like to say I'll be there when its sold/picked up, but there is stuff going on in my life a lot more important than getting rid of an old car. So it may be him dealing with it.

You're right, I'm antagonistic.
But I do appreciate the feedback. Thank you Acme.

Caporegime
haha sorry that one exclamation mark made it look like i was having a go. wasnt my intention. :D I guess I just meant that if it sells it sells, surely it doesnt matter who to. :)

17 year old dreamers will message you anyway. Been on both sides of that fence over the years. Equally though I havent been taken seriously when viewing performance cars because of my age when i was a serious buyer. A dealer wouldnt let me test drive a Type R when I was 19 because he thought I was having him on. I wasnt.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
"Whats your price for cash" count is at 8 so far and rising.

I'm on my first "If we can deal over the phone, I can transfer a deposit to your account right now"... I only have to give out my name and bank details. (My name IS my ebay username!)

Wondering how long it'll be before I get the "My mate, who's just popped out of the country, is really interested, and would normally send you the money using Western Union.. but in the meantime, take this cheque for more than your asking and then you can give me the change".

Equally though I haven't been taken seriously when viewing performance cars because of my age when i was a serious buyer. A dealer wouldnt let me test drive a Type R when I was 19 because he thought I was having him on. I wasnt.

I had the same thing at the age of 23. Dealer wouldn't give me the time of day (or even get out of her chair) when I was looking at a sporty red coupe for cash.
Obviously sized me up from my face, watch, trainers. Shame I had the cash from an inheritence as well. Her loss.

be prepared for lots of time wasters buying it then pulling out.
I'm kinda expecting it really.

Soldato
If it's just your name, sort code and account number I don't see what the problem is? That's what's required for a bank transfer.

Obviously if he is acting wired or wanting more than that, then run for the hills!

Soldato
I had the same thing at the age of 23. Dealer wouldn't give me the time of day (or even get out of her chair) when I was looking at a sporty red coupe for cash.
Obviously sized me up from my face, watch, trainers. Shame I had the cash from an inheritence as well. Her loss.

When I bought my first sporty car I emptied a carrier bag of notes on the salesman's desk when I went back to pay for it.

It was pretty funny, they don't like it when you do that apparently :D

Back
Top Bottom