Giraffe Tries to Stronglift!

Soldato
Hey all,

So, due to time constraints I'm changing my exercise routine.
I've stopped Calisthenics and I'm starting Stronglifts 5x5 :D

I had to sign up to a new gym, which is pretty nice, got a good showing round and had the PT go over my squats for around half an hour, giving me tips/stretches/exercises to work on while I build up the weight.

I've now done 2 sessions, the empty bar and the first increment.

I have to get to the gym for 6:30 to do this :(
And I'm doing ....... alright haha

Hopefully this continues well :)

Soldato
OP
Horrah for real lifting! Best of luck and feel free to post videos of form for feedback.
haha,
I will do, I've already had someone watching and pointed out a couple of things:
  • Hips coming forwards at the bottom of the squat
  • rolling my feet inwards letting my knee come in.
I'm really new to squatting with a bar and still trying to find my feet (and where to put them)

Why the switch up? You can probably fit in the calisthenics at a lower intensity as assessory work anyway.
The switch up was mainly due to time, I was adding reps to the workout and it just started taking too long.
So I started hanging weights off myself for lower reps, to get a good engagement, but it felt like I had reached what I could do with the Calisthenics with my time scale.
Also......I wanted to lift some weights :p

Soldato
OP
Friday

SQ: 5x5 25Kg

BP: 5x5 22.4Kg

ROW: 5x5 32.5Kg

Dips: 3x5 BW

Now arguably I've benched 80 before, so this is a bit light, but I'm not sure how to approach the plan so I was just sticking with what it said.

I also did a video of my Squats, Youtube didn't like the sound for one part, and tbh I think people would be best muting it :p

I video'd my first set of 5, and my last set of 5. Just to see whether the form degraded, or was always bad.

Any and all advice welcome:

Last edited:
Soldato
You're too going too low for your flexibility; bringing on the dreaded "butt wink" (where your lower spine curves).

I'd stop when the crease of your hip (groin area) is parralell to your knees (you're currently going far deeper than this).

In theory it's better to be going too deep than not deep enough though :D

Soldato
OP
Monday

SQ: 5x5 27.5Kg

OHP: 5x5 22.5Kg

DL: 1x5 45Kg

Dips: 3x10 BW

I recorded again,
Even a back view ;)

But I don't think it's worth posting, It's terrible haha
It's obvious to me what's going wrong, feet are rolling in, left knee drifting in.
Blegh........

I tried keeping my depth just below parallel, hard to judge but practice.
One of the PT's at the gym said i should try imagining I'm pushing my feet outwards.....

I'm going to try some stuff with an empty bar at the gym at lunch, see if I can work it out.

Associate
Squat form can take ages to get right. I had similar problems in that I was squatting too low for my flexibility and ended up injuring my hip flexor a few fair times. This what has worked for me:

- Do box squats to get used to going to parallel
- Widen your stance slightly
- Get your glutes firing before you start squatting (I do some light RDLs first) - this was the most important step for me, my squats feel night and day different when I can get my glutes working.
- Learn to brace properly

Good luck :)

Soldato
OP
Squat form can take ages to get right. I had similar problems in that I was squatting too low for my flexibility and ended up injuring my hip flexor a few fair times. This what has worked for me:

- Do box squats to get used to going to parallel
- Widen your stance slightly
- Get your glutes firing before you start squatting (I do some light RDLs first) - this was the most important step for me, my squats feel night and day different when I can get my glutes working.
- Learn to brace properly

Good luck :)

I've been practicing the bracing exercises from video's shared in the gymrats thread.
Trying to do them a couple times every day.

I feel I'm not properly engaging my glutes, so I'll try some RDL's first.

Soldato
OP
So, spent a fair amount of time playing with my foot position, practicing the bracing etc
With an empty bar.
Seems like I managed to get my squat deep enough with a better back, we'll see how it is when I've got weight haha.

also at times it felt like my feet were more than 'slightly' turned out...... dunno how much that might matter, but I'll try and get a view of it next squats (Wed)

Soldato
OP
Wednesday

SQ: 5x5 30Kg

BP: 5x5 25Kg

ROW: 5x5 35Kg

Pull ups: 10-7-6 BW

Pull ups were abysmal, tired? un-enthused?
meh.

Squat's still bad. I'm not sure if I might have my feet too turned out?
also I'm drifting the bar forwards, rather than the bar going straight up and down.
Needs work.....
It's embarrassing haha

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Friday

SQ: 5x5 32.5Kg

OHP: 5x5 25Kg

DL: 1x5 50Kg

Dips: 3x10 BW (need to add weight next time)

I feel my squats went better this time, maybe I lost it towards the end, but I think I'm moving it the right direction.
Still going a bit deep.......

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Monday

SQ: 5x5 35Kg

BP: 5x5 50Kg

ROW: 5x5 37.5Kg

Dips: 3x10 BW+1.25Kg

Now SL says I should do 3x5 dips with weights.....but like....I could do more so did?
weights now go up every workout, so I might find myself dropping to the 3x5 sets.

Today's video:
Observations; need to remember to 'push the floor outwards' to help me keep from rolling in. I feel it's getting better, but we're not there yet.
Going to do some drills with a lighter DB at lunch today, try and keep my form.

Last edited:
Soldato
Goblet squats for the win for anterior bracing and reinforcing position. Do some weighted ankle stretching too (squat down, stick something heavy on your knees to push them forward/down); sometimes the feet rolling in is compensation for a lack of ankle flexibility and dorsiflexion.

Man of Honour
Monday

SQ: 5x5 35Kg

BP: 5x5 50Kg

ROW: 5x5 37.5Kg

Dips: 3x10 BW+1.25Kg

Now SL says I should do 3x5 dips with weights.....but like....I could do more so did?
weights now go up every workout, so I might find myself dropping to the 3x5 sets.

Today's video:

Observations; need to remember to 'push the floor outwards' to help me keep from rolling in. I feel it's getting better, but we're not there yet.
Going to do some drills with a lighter DB at lunch today, try and keep my form.

Looks much better - nice work.

Stop a little higher and keep your knees pulled out and you shouldn't rock forward quite so much. :)

Soldato
That's not the stronglifts plan :p
While it feels a bit easy to do one set, it's also the heaviest weight. I'm new to lifting, so I'm going to keep to plan till it stops working or I finish the 6 months

Most people ackowledge and agree that one set of deadlifts isn't stimulating enough, and that 3 sets isn't as taxing as the programme makes out. Especially for someone who has a few lifting sessions under their belt.

Back
Top Bottom