Smart Plugs on PC's

Associate
*Apologies if this isn't the correct area.

Hi All,

I am looking at getting myself a Smart Plug which I will connect my main PC to, however I was concerned about using the on/off features of the Smart Plug with a PC and any impact that could have (not shutting down correctly etc)

The reason is I wanted an easy solution to being able to turn my pc on or off when I was in or away from the home as I also use this as a Plex media server. This was because I was not particularly happy with having my main rig running 24/7.

I have contemplated buying/building a low power HTPC for my lounge that will be better in the long run than using my main PC, however as I am getting married next year - all spending is on hold :(.

Many thanks in advance.

Dan

Soldato
Could you not use the "wake on lan" option to turn the PC on? I have never looked in to this so don't know much about it but could be a option if your bios has the ability?

Associate
Wol but you will have to have a feature to forward wol over internet which might be a specific feature on some routers and a static ip I believe. Pita unless u leave a low powered pc on to wake main pc.

Associate
OP
Could you not use the "wake on lan" option to turn the PC on? I have never looked in to this so don't know much about it but could be a option if your bios has the ability?

Unfortunately, WOL is not support by PLEX by what I've seen on the interwebs :(

Wol but you will have to have a feature to forward wol over internet which might be a specific feature on some routers and a static ip I believe. Pita unless u leave a low powered pc on to wake main pc.

I don't have any spare PC's (low power) that could be used for this function, I'm trying to prevent buying a HTPC just yet until later in the year/next year at the earliest (I want to add a decent graphics card for lounge gaming which will increase the cost).

Back
Top Bottom