• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD VEGA confirmed for 2017 H1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
thats what i meant. On the roadmap there was no Pascal and it was a late shoe in. You only do that cause Volta isnt going to be ready when they originally planned it to be.

That is the thing - at the conference (that first had information on Volta) that went along with the slides nVidia talked about Volta as a future long term project - not as an immediate successor to Maxwell - they said very little about what came next and the little that was mentioned was separate to the information about Volta.

Most people just go by what was on the slides and don't have the full context.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
So, now that the release time is closer, you guys still think Vega will be 1070/80 performance? :p

I remember quite a few saying 1070 performance when I was saying Titan XP performance :D

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I still ill remember my debate with Final8y, he kind of disappeared after that debate :p

Yeah, glad I got my 1070. The big Vega chip needs to be at least as fast as Titan X pascal or it will be very underwhelming. That is my expectations, if they can at least hit titan xp speeds and comes in around £500-600 I will get one. If not I will just wait for 1170.

How about if comes in at Titan X pascal speed and £50 under Titan X pascal price, thats sounds a lot more reasonable.

Imagine if Vega comes out now for £1150 but matches or slightly beats Titan XP. Hardly anyone will buy it. As I explained to him, tech gets cheaper with time... It is all about timing. Nvidia came to market early with that performance level with no competition and they charged for it. Had AMD a competitive product at the time, it would have likely been £800 not £1200.

Oh and this:

Surely it would be £800 minimum if it matched TXP?

You won't get 100% of the performance for 50% of the money. That would be crazy.

Would it now? This guy must have a 1080ti already then as at £699 it is not only crazy, it is out of this world :p

Soldato
I still ill remember my debate with Final8y, he kind of disappeared after that debate :p

Imagine if Vega comes out now for £1150 but matches or slightly beats Titan XP. Hardly anyone will buy it. As I explained to him, tech gets cheaper with time... It is all about timing. Nvidia came to market early with that performance level with no competition and they charged for it. Had AMD a competitive product at the time, it would have likely been £800 not £1200
That would be silly and no one was implying anything of the sort so why even make such a comment, yes tech gets cheaper with time so undercut Titan XP by £50 of whatever the price of the Titan XP is at the time if its relative in performance.

Last edited:
Soldato
So you are saying that AMD's flagship card should cost around £1,129?

Lol, that won't work!

Dual RX Vega Mammoth Edition could well be this price. Vega's performance will dictate the price it will be launched at. If faster than the 1080ti i expect AMD would price around the ti. We all know to sell AMD have to be faster to be priced the same or priced lower if performance is similar.

Last edited:
Caporegime
thats what i meant. On the roadmap there was no Pascal and it was a late shoe in. You only do that cause Volta isnt going to be ready when they originally planned it to be.

As Roff pointed out, Volta never had a definite timeline but was reliant on suitably small process. Nvidia never publicly talked about what comes after Maxwell for a long time. Pascal wasn't fitted in at the last minute due to any kind fo delay in Volta, there was always going to be at least 1 architecture between Maxwell and Volta. You can't just design a new ASIC at the last minute, Pascal was in develop for years and years, a long time before Maxwell ever saw the light of day.

Permabanned
Ah but is that outperform in just VR gaming? That article was talking about VR when it went on to claim that.
That's the problem there's no set performance level as it can vary wildly on a game by game basis and as you say they're probably saying it in relation to VR anyway. I'm sick and tired of VR being all they want to talk about, 90% of PC gamers aren't going to buy in to it because of the pricing so they need to start giving us real world performance examples rather than going on about VR and DX12 all the time.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I don't mind a bit of wccftech but everyone regular on these forums should well know that most of their news is if, and's and maybes and some of it is just plain BS dug from the dpeths of the deepest and biggest cesspit EVER :D

I keep all my WCCFTech article links in the same section as the Nessie sightings, Alien abductions and Bigfoot fathered my child stories.

Soldato
That's the problem there's no set performance level as it can vary wildly on a game by game basis and as you say they're probably saying it in relation to VR anyway. I'm sick and tired of VR being all they want to talk about, 90% of PC gamers aren't going to buy in to it because of the pricing so they need to start giving us real world performance examples rather than going on about VR and DX12 all the time.

A good VR card will also be a good gaming card. To give a good VR experience you need high fps at all times which will in turn lead to a good normal experience. VR is the in tech atm so it's no surprise we here a lot about it. As ever we won't see much if any real world gaming numbers until launch.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
lol but true :D
Indeed :D

That would be silly and no one was implying anything of the sort so why even make such a comment, yes tech gets cheaper with time so undercut Titan XP by £50 of whatever the price of the Titan XP is at the time if its relative in performance.

Yes you did imply that though. The whole point was Vega was not coming out when Titan XP came out and would be coming out nearly a year later so they could not charge that amount.

Associate
So, now that the release time is closer, you guys still think Vega will be 1070/80 performance? :p

I remember quite a few saying 1070 performance when I was saying Titan XP performance :D

I still believe sub-1080Ti performance with smoke & mirrors & future promise of more.

Now I have a 980Ti I'm quite happy to sit back and watch AMD play its hand

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I still believe sub-1080Ti performance with smoke & mirrors & future promise of more.

Now I have a 980Ti I'm quite happy to sit back and watch AMD play its hand
Yeah, well at least you are not in the it will be 1070 camp. If I could be bothered I can quote many who said that. Griffildur as I recall was one of them :p

Here is Loadsa's prediction from back then :p:

Vega won't even top the 1080.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom