• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1800x Pins bent.

Associate
Hi guys, after a month of eagerly awaiting, today my cpu and motherboard turns up and cpu has bent pins :(. I Picked the cpu out of the packaging and straight away my attention was drawn to two pins every so slightly knocked over. Will cpu be ok? I was going to see if they are important but not sure if there is a pinout diagram somewhere. The two pins are on either side of the arrow so the last two on the corner edge. I managed to carefully straighten them but I cant power on pc yet till I dig out a compatible back-plate for the cooler. One of the pins felt a little flaky :(. damn typical that this had to happen after waiting so long, will ocuk send a new one out so I can do a straight swap if it works? Not sure I want to keep it now :S.

Associate
If you can bend the pins back using a thin blade it should be OK, however it does sound odd that the pins are bent right out of the package.

Soldato
Did the cpu packaging look like it had already been opened?

Bent pins on a mobo is bad enough but on a cpu costing as much as an 1800X it's a tough one to swallow.

Soldato
Don't bend anything back at all.

If it doesn't work or you make it worse you can get blamed for fiddling with the pins.

Report to OCUK and ask for an undamaged one.

Stuff happens, don't risk damaging it or your waranty by trying to repair something that ought to be perfect out of the box.

Soldato
It will be fine. So long as you've bent them back straight you should be fine mate, if they are not 100% there will be a resistance when placing in the socket.

Caporegime
send back. you can use a drawing pencil to bend back cotton and credit card.all at owners risk.if its new obviously you would send back.

Associate
I've had a new CPU with bent pins before, it was a socket 754 Athlon 2800+, albeit a slightly different scenario in that it was an OEM CPU which shipped out in a small plastic processor box; I assume that OcUK had to package these manually. The bend was very minor but it stopped the processor dropping into the socket as others have stated, I adjusted the pins and it worked fine. Not sure I'd mess with the pins on a retail boxed processor the price of an 1800x.

Soldato
If it was me i would send it back and don't touch the CPU

You don't spend that kinda money on a CPU for it to arrive with bent pins.

the thing is if you have issues down the line i would always be wondering if it would be down to the bent pins causing the problems.

Soldato
Did you buy brand new oem / retail or a bundle kit?

If it was brand new I'd get it sent back, if it was a bundle kit were the seals on the box already open?

Last edited:
Soldato
I would return it purely because any force capable of bending CPU pins in protective packaging would also be significant enough to potentially damage the CPU.

Associate
Morning, it was a sealed retail cpu, no signs of damage to box. Cpu fits socket ok will contact cs when I get chance...

Obviously the pins should not have been slightly bent. If you`ve already straightened them and the CPU fitted into the socket easily (and the PC runs OK), then I wouldn't bother taking any further action. You could report it to CS, but now you`ve fitted the CPU, I doubt they'll offer a replacement. Even if you hadn't fitted the CPU, it would be your word against theirs that you didn't bend the pins.

Associate
I got a 9370 before and it arrived with about 50% of the pins bent. I was ******** myself trying to straighten them out excrutiatingly slowly with a very fine needle, by the time I was done I was actually sweating.

Worked fine in the end! I had told seller about it and he said to try straighten them out, and if it didn't work he'd refund me. He refunded me 25% of the cost anyway as a gesture of apology so it worked out well!

Associate
I wouldn't have touched the pins at all. Just returned it. Even if It worked it would have bugged me. And once you start bending yourself a return would be more difficult. I'm sure it's fine though

Back
Top Bottom