Amd or intel

Associate
Hi all,

I am looking to update my wife's computer, she is currently running a low spec amd 10 quad core pc.

Would you recommend staying with amd or change to intel. We are looking at spending around £350-£400 for a cpu, motherboard bundle. She mainly uses the pc for playing guild wars 2.

What are the pro's/con's of amd and intel?

She is running my old msi frozr 770 graphics card, we have just upgraded her case to a mid tower to take the graphics card and changed to a 550w corsair power supply.

Been looking at either

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/reco...-core-value-skylake-gaming-bun-bu-234-ok.html

Or
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/reco...eight-core-value-gaming-bundle-bu-233-ok.html

What would be the best option? Or can anyone suggest a better one?

Thanks in advance

Matt

Soldato
If you're in no hurry I, personally, would wait for the Ryzen 5 release in April as this should be the sweetspot for the average user - and would probably fit your needs. Plus, the socket (AM4) will have significant longevity, when compared to INTEL, and so should give you better future proofing.

Soldato
Don't get the FX-8 bundle whatever.

If you're buying now for gaming you should be looking at Intel options only if Ryzen is out of your budget.

Soldato
Just to get the ball rolling and to give you an idea what you can get for your budget.

It's a better chip with a motherboard suited to a none K version and is only slightly more than the recon i5 bundle - but has more overall power. Just an example...

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C14 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2Z24 - £94.99
Intel Core i5-7500 3.40GHz (Kaby Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor - Retail - £199.99
Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H Intel B250 (Socket 1151) DDR4 Micro ATX Motherboard - £74.99

Total Aprrox £370

But as I mentioned before the Ryzen 5 release is only days away - and it may be worth the wait.

Man of Honour
This is my take on your Q.

AMD vs Intel (Ryzen, assuming 5 is same as 7): more cores / threads for $$$. Seems to need optimisation to perform best in games. Some early issues with motherboards. AM4 has future upgrade potential. More cores / threads is more future proof.
Intel (Kaby Lake) vs AMD (Ryzen): more mature platform and more consistent performance in games.

I can't think of any plus for the FX (versus Intel), it is slower, hungrier and a dead platform.

Soldato
Isn't guild wars heavily single threaded? Intel will always win in this scenario over additional weaker cores.

Don't wait for for 5 series Ryzen as the 11th is only the start of the waiting process. During the teething trouble process you'll be told to wait for longer while the dust settles during which time a new excuse will be posted every day as to why it's not performing like we all thought it might.

Associate
Isn't guild wars heavily single threaded? Intel will always win in this scenario over additional weaker cores.

Don't wait for for 5 series Ryzen as the 11th is only the start of the waiting process. During the teething trouble process you'll be told to wait for longer while the dust settles during which time a new excuse will be posted every day as to why it's not performing like we all thought it might.

There should be fewer teething difficulties with the ryzen 5 as they're basically the same chips as the ryzen 7 and will be using the same motherboards, which have by now had a month worth of tweaks and improvements.

That being said the i7 7700k and i5 7600k will certainly offer the best performance for this game with its high clock speed and IPC. Though on a budget something like a ryzen 5 1400x will certainly do the job without any trouble and offer really solid desktop performance for less money than either of the Intels.

If you're really on a budget though the Pentium G4560 will likely also do a great job of running the game for cheaper than anything else right now.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all of your replies, I am very reluctant to spend massive money on her pc as she only plays that one game and nothing else. All I need is something that will do the job. She currently has no desire to play anything else so dont have to worry about going massive spec as it will be wasted when playing guild wars.

I know very little about amd so my thoughts are to stay clear of it and go i5.

I'm running i7 in my gaming pc and have always used intel.

Soldato
There should be fewer teething difficulties with the ryzen 5 as they're basically the same chips as the ryzen 7 and will be using the same motherboards, which have by now had a month worth of tweaks and improvements.

That being said the i7 7700k and i5 7600k will certainly offer the best performance for this game with its high clock speed and IPC. Though on a budget something like a ryzen 5 1400x will certainly do the job without any trouble and offer really solid desktop performance for less money than either of the Intels.

If you're really on a budget though the Pentium G4560 will likely also do a great job of running the game for cheaper than anything else right now.
Star shock makes a good point on the Pentium.

Associate
OP
Just to get the ball rolling and to give you an idea what you can get for your budget.

It's a better chip with a motherboard suited to a none K version and is only slightly more than the recon i5 bundle - but has more overall power. Just an example...

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C14 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2Z24 - £94.99
Intel Core i5-7500 3.40GHz (Kaby Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor - Retail - £199.99
Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H Intel B250 (Socket 1151) DDR4 Micro ATX Motherboard - £74.99

Total Aprrox £370

But as I mentioned before the Ryzen 5 release is only days away - and it may be worth the wait.

What processor cooler would you recommend to use? am I right in saying the processor will come with a cooler in the box and thermal paste???

Soldato
am I right in saying the processor will come with a cooler in the box and thermal paste???

Yes it will (thermal paste too - pre-applied) and as you're on a budget, and not clocking, you may as well save some pennies and stick the stock cooler on. It will do the job and they're relatively quiet.

Or if you want a quality cheap third party cooler that will fit in most cases the Arctic Freezer 7 is cheap and effective or for a few more pounds the classic Cooler Master 212 (check will fit in case) will keep it chilly with relative silence - but the stock cooler really will suffice at stock settings.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yes it will (thermal paste too - pre-applied) and as you're on a budget, and not clocking, you may as well save some pennies and stick the stock cooler on. It will do the job and they're relatively quiet.

Or if you want a quality cheap third party cooler that will fit in most cases the Arctic Freezer 7 is cheap and effective or for a few more pounds the classic Cooler Master 212 (check will fit in case) will keep it chilly with relative silence - but the stock cooler really will suffice at stock settings.

thanks for your help

matt

Soldato
Both builds are nice, intel being better, but unless she plans to play anything else Then maybe save a few quid and get an i3? they are great all rounders, the 770 is overkill for the game really, but you have it anyways, going from the system specs you wouldn't even need a i3 unless it's gotten like WOW where it's more demanding than it used to me?

Mean on Game-Debate a core 2 quad 6400 is put as the recommended and the gpu being a hd 5670(no nvidia input, but gt 240 was the minimum), hell I just put my system in the options and exceeds it By big percentages so would play it with ease and mines a low powered haswell build.

Soldato
Both builds are nice, intel being better, but unless she plans to play anything else Then maybe save a few quid and get an i3? they are great all rounders, the 770 is overkill for the game really, but you have it anyways, going from the system specs you wouldn't even need a i3 unless it's gotten like WOW where it's more demanding than it used to me?

Mean on Game-Debate a core 2 quad 6400 is put as the recommended and the gpu being a hd 5670(no nvidia input, but gt 240 was the minimum), hell I just put my system in the options and exceeds it By big percentages so would play it with ease and mines a low powered haswell build.

Wouldn't be much point getting an i3 when you can buy the Pentium G4560 for half the price.

Soldato
Ha yeah that's what I meant by my last bit about you wouldn't even need an i3, mean it's not my money and if it was I'd buy the i5, but then I play multi things, just I wouldnt spend money I don't need to for basically wasted performance.

Back
Top Bottom