Xbox Scorpio

Soldato
Microsoft can shout all they like and say it's premium but if the console itself goes over 500 then it won't sell, simple as that part on perks of console is there a cheaper way to game over a pc. if sony and Microsoft at Xmas advertise them as 4k machines and ps4 pro is 200 quid cheaper then I'd bet in sony selling more. Thats all a none tech person will notice at end of day. Sad thing for me is all Microsoft say this is partly due to losing developers which screams volumes, I don't want them to fail but they need to invest in new ip more than a newer console imo

Last edited:
Soldato
Microsoft can shout all they like and say it's premium but if the console itself goes over 500 then it won't sell, simple as that part on perks of console is there a cheaper way to game over a pc. if sony and Microsoft at Xmas advertise them as 4k machines and ps4 pro is 200 quid cheaper then I'd bet in sony selling more. Thays all a none tech person will notice at end of day

Looks like every tech company is trying to pull off the Apple pricing structure.

Soldato
Have I missed something or is this still not going to be proper 4K but some kind of makeshift 4K like PS4 pro?

I thought even Titan XP's were struggling to get 4K at 60fps?

It will be a mixture most likely. Similar in a way to the PS4 Pro. There are games that run full 4K (Skyrim / ES:O for example) but a lot of the more graphically intensive games run a checkerboard ~1800p resolution. It will be interesting to see if the Scorpio has enough grunt* to take these games and make them 4k (ME:A for example).

I would expect first party exclusives to be "Full 4K".

The games also having to be playable on the Xbone my prove the biggest challenge and could cause Multi plats to differ only in pure resolution terms (similar to what we have already seen).

*By grunt I really mean available resources. The GPU may have more computer ability but the back end (ROPS etc) may prove a bottleneck

Caporegime
XBOX has no good games if you count out GEARS and FORZA.

I'm assuming by that you meant 'no good exclusive games', as the Xbox One has plenty of good games.

As for exclusives, I do agree to an extent, the PS4 trumps the One in this regard. The problem for MS is the true console exclusives it's had have been underwhelming, the likes of Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break for example. Plus canning Scalebound but i'll be honest that looked gash anyway.

Sea of thieves looks interesting, and i'd be frothing at the mouth for a Forza Horizon 3 4K upgrade.

The Xbox One needs a Bloodborne equivalent exclusive imo, something that really stands out. A TLOU standard exclusive is asking too much, it's one of the best games ever made.

Associate
Thinking about this more. It's going to be a little difficult to compare Xbox One 4k performance with a PC. On a PC we can adjust graphical settings, most benchmarking sites run games on ultra. Hell, I could probably run a game in 4k on my GTX970 if I turned the graphic settings down to low for some games.

Assuming Microsoft are using a modified AMD 480X, that's 20-30fps @4k with high or ultra settings.

Still, 1080p gameplay is going to be buttery smooth.

If we end up with more 4k optimized games, then I'm happy.

Associate
Too much salt in here for my liking, I see the old no games narrative is playing out as expected.

Specs are great, will be the console to own multiplats on, they now have both a big power advantage and the services advantage.

Associate
It will be a mixture most likely. Similar in a way to the PS4 Pro. There are games that run full 4K (Skyrim / ES:O for example) but a lot of the more graphically intensive games run a checkerboard ~1800p resolution. It will be interesting to see if the Scorpio has enough grunt* to take these games and make them 4k (ME:A for example).

I would expect first party exclusives to be "Full 4K".

The games also having to be playable on the Xbone my prove the biggest challenge and could cause Multi plats to differ only in pure resolution terms (similar to what we have already seen).

*By grunt I really mean available resources. The GPU may have more computer ability but the back end (ROPS etc) may prove a bottleneck

Hmm..it's interesting in any case. I won't ever complain about consoles getting into a performance war, it drives things forwards.

Soldato
Hardware looks great and I'll no doubt be getting one to replace my original One (held out on the S) but there's definitely a lack of games. I'm definitely considering a PS4 Pro as well for FF7/Horizon etc. I just hate the controllers.

Soldato
I have a PS4 but won't be upgrading to the Pro. I see this as a massive leap over the XB1 so I will go for the upgrade and start buying multiplat games on it instead of the PS4.

Associate
I'm fully expecting to pay between £500 and £600 for this. £ to $ is carp right now and wont change for the better in the near future. Staying away from the politics side here but this is not going to be cheap to us Brits at all.

Only way this will be under the above prices is if the pricing is kept universal to the $ which I dont see Microsoft doing as they know if people want it - theyll buy it.

Shawrey.

Associate
The Steam box runs Linux so you're missing 90% of the games or more and HTPC that can do 4K/60 for 500 notes?

90% is a bit of an audacious figure to quote? How many of us have our entire collection of games on steam? :L not trying to start a war or nit pick here... surely it doesn't matter what OS it runs?

Agreed that its impossible to get a 500 quid PC to play 4k/60 when a 1080xp alone struggles - which is why I was expecting UK prices on this to be between 500 and 600 notes.

Shawrey

Soldato
Agreed. Why can't we have one of these with standard Windows on it and a m&k? I'd choose that over a traditional gaming PC all day long.

I'm not sure I'd pick it over a PC but that's due to me being a geek and I use my PC for a whole lot of other things. I think other companies outside of Sony and Microsoft are starting the make 'all in ones' but they are very over priced at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom