*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
You can just daisy-chain off a free port. Mine seem to work fine without any further configuration. If you want to use the TP-Link switch as well you may need to disable Spanning Tree Protocol on both devices. I did but you may not have to. You could also use a DAC cable and the SFP ports if you wanted.

They support PoE out of the box but you may need to turn it on. Certainly you need to turn on the 24V Passive option.

Perfect thanks for this mate

Soldato
Guys my WiFi is unreliable and looking to get a Ubiquiti AP - my pc is hardwired so is mainly for the other half to stream netflix etc.

There's a few seconds hand ones knocking around; would these do the job or should I be looking at the lite Ac models? On cable (75mb) and have fairly thick walls living in a Victorian property. Would like to get it as cheaply as possible :D

Thanks

The Unifi APs are not going to work miracles. They are designed to be put fairly near the user. If you just put the Unifi AP down next to your existing router I suspect you would be very disappointed at how little improvement you saw over a good combination unit.

Where these devices really win is in the configuration of multiple access points.

The AC-LR has the most sensitive receiver array so in theory it should be the best over distance. The Pro is a bit (theoretically) faster. And don't forget these are PoE devices so you need to put them near a socket or buy a PoE switch.

If you do get one, make sure you turn the TX power up to maximum in the controller software. It makes quite a big difference on the LR units.

I'm not saying you won't see any improvement, but you probably won't see as much of a benefit as the cost would imply.

Associate
Anyone got a US-16-150W and can comment on fan noise when it's running?

I know if cycles on and off and my current US-8-150W was running at 70 degrees before I added some very quiet external fans to move air around the cupboard the kit is in (now at 48).

I will eventually move all the equipment into a rack mount cabinet inside that cupboard, but for now its on shelves so I am trying to plan ahead without creating too much noise now. I expect I'll add a 24 or 48 way non PoE switch as well as I cable the house.

Don
The US-16-150W is silent (on newer firmwares) until it reaches a certain temperature, then the fan will turn on. Haven't seen one in person, but I know this is how they behave.

Since I only have 1x PoE device, I went for the 24 port non PoE switch (and use a PoE brick), fan is on for about 30 seconds on boot, then it turns the fan off.

Tbh, any switch with a fan in it is too loud for normal home use, unless you have a garage you can chuck it in, or you can mod it with an 80mm+ fan in the top of the switch or similar.

Associate
Thanks bledd.

Looking at the Ubiquiti data sheets the 16 PoE, 24/48 non PoE port switches and USG Pro have similar fan noise levels its just the 24/48 PoE switch variants that are really noisy.

I could also change the fans for Noctua 40mm and ensure could cabinet/cupboard airflow (would rather avoid garage or loft installs)

Soldato
Is it possible to use the VOIP port on the USG as another LAN port does anyone know?

Not as yet it's in the road map but right now you can only use it as an extra WAN port. The hardware of the USG is a ER-lite which has no hardware switch onboard so unless you want to use the other port for a separate LAN it's kinda useless anyway unless you want very poor performance.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for this, an interesting read. Think im gonna pick up a 16 port unifi switch and USG this month. Hope OCUK start selling this kit soon as well.

I have the USG and 4 AP's, I haven't bothered with the switches yet due to the cost over and above a decent gigabit switch and what I will really get out of it.

Soldato
I have the USG and 4 AP's, I haven't bothered with the switches yet due to the cost over and above a decent gigabit switch and what I will really get out of it.

This might sound quite trivial but actually being able to see what's going on between identified wired clients and the switch port is surprisingly useful. You also get a list of wired clients by port number which makes identifying patch leads a doddle. Obviously they should all be identified at the patch panel but my installer didn't do it so now I have to do it.

Associate
This might sound quite trivial but actually being able to see what's going on between identified wired clients and the switch port is surprisingly useful. You also get a list of wired clients by port number which makes identifying patch leads a doddle. Obviously they should all be identified at the patch panel but my installer didn't do it so now I have to do it.

I love flashy things so the extras you see in the admin would appeal to me :)

Just not sure in my home environment this would be the best use of disposable income, then again...... :)

Although I have a network map for each switch with the port configuration so I know where every wired device is connected.

Associate
I am considering buying the unifi Cloud Key, I have setup the system from my laptop at present so is it easy to move the configuration from a windows pc to the Cloud Controller Key?

Associate
I am considering buying the unifi Cloud Key, I have setup the system from my laptop at present so is it easy to move the configuration from a windows pc to the Cloud Controller Key?

Yes very easy you just backup the configuration and then import it during the CloudKey setup.

Back
Top Bottom