Show Us Your Motors!

Man of Honour
I just find it odd. My first car was white, and it was white because it was poverty spec, and white was free.

Now it's somehow seen as cool, but I'll always see it as a bit... cheap. I don't think it looks that great on most cars at all, obviously there are exceptions.

Pearl white is infinitely better than just a flat gloss white too

Caporegime
Did it not have the Endura engine which had its roots in the late 1950's (Kent engine)? It was meant to be cheaper Fiesta was it not? It may have had a quirky design which helped sales but thats about it, and it didn't age well at all. I find it baffling that people still bought them towards the end!

Last edited:
Soldato
Did it not have the Endura engine which had its roots in the late 1950's (Kent engine)? It was meant to be cheaper Fiesta was it not? It may have had a quirky design which helped sales but thats about it, and it didn't age well at all. I find it baffling that people still bought them towards the end!

Really? Cheap to buy, run and maintain. Easy to drive, and park. The sort of people who buy cars in this sector aren't really going to be bothered about the engine heritage. They were popular for good reason - I still see a fair few around myself.

Associate
Same unit I drive on a daily basis, they don't look much from the outside but the engine/gearbox is fantastic :)

The 460 is a bit weak at 44ton but it quite happy on the flat. Cruises along at 57 no problem. I went from driving crappy Scanias G series so the Volvo feels much nicer to live in. Those 3 pedal Opticruises are crap.

Up0c5Lvh.jpg

Soldato
Mine is the 480 but not much between the two, rare I actually run that heavy with it in all honesty. Most of our fleet consists of DAF XF's and while they are nicer places to be the gearboxes are horrendous compared to the Volvo, I had one out a few weeks ago when mine was VOR'd for a fault and it drove me up the wall with the gears.

Associate
Mine is the 480 but not much between the two, rare I actually run that heavy with it in all honesty. Most of our fleet consists of DAF XF's and while they are nicer places to be the gearboxes are horrendous compared to the Volvo, I had one out a few weeks ago when mine was VOR'd for a fault and it drove me up the wall with the gears.

We run half and half with 2 Daf XF's thrown in. The 11 plate Volvo's like mine are standard 460 Globetrotters, the 12 plated are Globetrotters with 480's. There is a few 13/63 plates that run 480's with the XL cab. There is 4-5 Mrk 4 FH's that all run 500's with an extra fuel tank. The boss gets trucks from failed orders from other companies. The oldest motors we have are 07 plates but they are only used as night trunkers. The oldest stuff going down the road is the 10 plate Scanias. He's just got 4 new R series Scanias on the road and they are nice inside. Scania have finally joined the rest by having a decent sized bed inside instead of that bench bench they had before.
My previous job at DFDS we had two CF's and I've never driven anything with such heavy steering. The rest were those billy bob basic G series that were crippled by all the forced eco nonsense. The clutch pedal helped on the reverse but they were horrible to use going forward.

Back
Top Bottom