Any New Windows Phones?

Caporegime
My phone contract's up for renewal.

I've always ragged on Windows Mobile, but I'd like to buy a Windows Mobile, since my phone's the only Android device I own bar my Chromecast (And for that I can eventually migrate over to a Windows device anyway)

Has there been any new devices? I love the look of that HP Elite X3, but it seems to be a no go as far as reasonable contracts are (35 pound a month I'm looking at)

So has there been any?

Man of Honour
elite x3 successor towards the end of the year but why would you do that to yourself.

i don't think the 2019 above is to far from the truth. They're still throwing money at developing the platform but no phones, no developers for apps nothing. its like they're waiting for the next reinvention of the phone. Possibly fordable screens. But even then there's no apps so even if they released the next big smart phones successors there's no support, it continues to go backwards at a rapid pace.

Caporegime
OP
Ha, what would be wrong an Elite x3 successor :p?
Is the Elite X3 only good on paper?

Frankly if they were going to do a Surface Phone, they should have done it with a big Windows 8 launch.

Associate
I think the last best choice for a Win 10 mobile was the 950, or 950XL. I've just bought the 950XL as my 640XL just wasn't nippy enough and the price became attractive. It'll keep me going until something better comes a long, or I finally ditch WinMo.

I'd love the x3, but way too much £££.

http://www.windowscentral.com/best-windows-phone

Soldato
http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/reviews/item/22112_Long_term_verdict-Alcatel_IDOL.php
http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/22089_Windows_10_Mobile_flagships_co.php

There's nothing else.

While windows phone gets updates, in my opinion very little gets changed and apps are disappearing all the time. I've retired mine its now a media device for the kids. The netflix app on windows phone cant download. So its not even great for that.

I think they are keeping it going just as a test for ARM.

Caporegime
Why do you need or want a windows phone? I don't think it is worth doing that to yourself just because you fancy it. Once you've had it a while, you won't fancy it any longer! :p

I had a Windows phone in between my last two Android phones, it was fairly nippy, but I found the interfaces clunky, there was only one notification icon so I couldn't see specifically what notification I had received until I pulled the tray down, the menu is annoying, the fonts are annoying and go off the screen in the menu's which is apparently deliberate, you can choose between black and white for a theme, and there is zilch app support. No proper Instagram app, no Snapchat (if thats your thing), no Youtube app, and the apps there are don't work properly... Facebook app sucks and I had to use it in a browser etc. It was just a disaster...

Perfectly good if you only want a phone to use as a phone and maybe to browse the net a bit, but not for much else... And even if the former is what you want, theres no reason to restrict yourself when you could get an Android for the same money.

TL;DR They are crap, at least wait and see what the surface phone is like.

Mobster
Soldato
elite x3 successor towards the end of the year but why would you do that to yourself.

i don't think the 2019 above is to far from the truth. They're still throwing money at developing the platform but no phones, no developers for apps nothing. its like they're waiting for the next reinvention of the phone. Possibly fordable screens. But even then there's no apps so even if they released the next big smart phones successors there's no support, it continues to go backwards at a rapid pace.

Your constant hope in WP is sad in a way. It's utterly dead at this point.

Associate
It's utterly dead at this point.

Well, you've been saying that for years and it clearly isn't dead yet. You can still buy windows powered phones and surprise surprise they still work just fine !!

I hope they do eventually release a Surface phone just so Glaucus can beat you with it. Metaphorically speaking of course :)

Soldato
Too many of the apps require a minimum of 2Gb now and only 3 Windows phones have +2Gb all the others are sub 1Gb so you can't complain if the app doesn't work (the comments get greyed out)

Loved my 830, but it got clunky and slow, so bit the bullet and left WinMo, bought the OnePlus 3T and love it!!!

Soldato
Too many of the apps require a minimum of 2Gb now and only 3 Windows phones have +2Gb all the others are sub 1Gb so you can't complain if the app doesn't work (the comments get greyed out)

Loved my 830, but it got clunky and slow, so bit the bullet and left WinMo, bought the OnePlus 3T and love it!!!
Really? Surprised apps for a phone require 2Gb+. First thought is that they're poorly optimised but who knows.
I really like my 950, bought pretty much on release. I've enjoyed picking up the fast and slow insider releases too and not having my carrier restrict updates. I feel sad for the recent MS phones as they're pretty good IMO but people just seem to hate them - probably often having never tried one but due to being known to lack apps. As for the lack of apps, how many apps do people REALLy need? I found the Android store littered with rubbish and have no desire to keep downloading lots of similar and often naff apps to try them. I have what I need and anything else I just use the built in browser for anyway.
Answering the question it seems like nothing new in the near term. I'm looking forward to the Surface phone whenever that arrives and will definitely buy one if it does.

Soldato
Really? Surprised apps for a phone require 2Gb+. First thought is that they're poorly optimised but who knows.
I really like my 950, bought pretty much on release. I've enjoyed picking up the fast and slow insider releases too and not having my carrier restrict updates. I feel sad for the recent MS phones as they're pretty good IMO but people just seem to hate them - probably often having never tried one but due to being known to lack apps. As for the lack of apps, how many apps do people REALLy need? I found the Android store littered with rubbish and have no desire to keep downloading lots of similar and often naff apps to try them. I have what I need and anything else I just use the built in browser for anyway.
Answering the question it seems like nothing new in the near term. I'm looking forward to the Surface phone whenever that arrives and will definitely buy one if it does.

You are right about apps, I only have about 5-6 installed outside of what comes with Android and both the Play Store and App Store are littered with garbage but unfortunately perception is everything and the general public's perception means a phone is mostly either Android or Apple.

However carrier or store specific agreements that have plagued Windows Phone handsets limit market availability, along with garbage marketing, a lack of store presence and an absolutely shocking Windows Phone 10 release that pushed an essentially broken OS to the public all add in ingredients that make for a toxic recipe. The crux of this however was that Windows Phone was released too late to make any inroads, at a time when people were already heavily invested in iOS / Android in terms of backups, syncs and app purchases.

Caporegime
OP
Well this thread has surely damped any enthusiasm I had about buying a Windows Phone then.
I've been wanting to go Windows for a while. But doesn't sound like it's feasible.

This is also the first time I think Glaucus has been negative about Windows Phone too lol.

Associate
I bought one last year for use at work, its great if you work for a company that is heavily invested on Microsoft Outlook services.

Windows 10 has great potential but certain basic tasks seem to take a long time or the menu bogs down and says "Please Wait"

Permabanned
Well this thread has surely damped any enthusiasm I had about buying a Windows Phone then.
I've been wanting to go Windows for a while. But doesn't sound like it's feasible.

This is also the first time I think Glaucus has been negative about Windows Phone too lol.

I was really excited for windows phone when I got my 920 and only got it to support them at low developer interest in the hopes a large enough community would drive developer interest - but microsoft just love to dump their IP as soon as its born and do very little in the way of incrimentally upgrading it.

Only with Windows 10 have they started to think about being a consistent platform and it's probably too late now.

Associate
Ive always enjoyed using windows phone and currently use a lumia 950. But I have to agree with others it's a dead platform and is losing app support rather then gaining or at least that's how it feels.

I get by using websites but there's a lack of banking apps, although capable no support for paying with phone ie apple pay etc

Apps being far slower than they should and just second rate compared to other platforms in most cases

I'll eventually move over to android where Imo Ms apps are just as good there if not better

Back
Top Bottom