MOT test ?

Associate
i need a question answering if possible please.

Is it a requirement to have a rear fog lamp fitted to a 2004 import vehicle that does not have one in the country of origin.

Thanks.

**EDIT**

According to section 1.3 of the mot testers manual it is a requirement of vehicles to have one from 1980

The reason I ask is that I've just bought a jap import fresh from a dealer with an MOT and there is no rear fog lamp fitted and no switch for it either.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Pretty certain you need to have one fitted, which is why a lot of imports get those terrible "hinged off the bottom of the bumper" fog lights installed.

Assuming it has two reverse lights I'd be re-wiring one as a fog light (and installing a switch, obviously).

Soldato
You will need a fog light fitted to the drivers rear of the car. You can buy bolt on kits quite cheaply, borrow a live from the o/s/r side light and earth it through a switch on the dash. That way it can only be engaged while the sides are on (and not left on by accident) and you can attach an earth from the switch anywhere behind the dash that is convenient.

Check that you have rear reflectors as well as not all imports have those either.

Associate
OP
Ok I've discovered it has a working rear fog lamp on the drivers side but no tell tale lamp. When I operate the front fog lamps the rear illuminates at the same time but no tell tale for the front ones either. I can see where the tell tale is but I'm not sure if the bulb might have gone assuming it is a bulb and some kind of LED panel.

Soldato
Easiest is if the car has dual reversing lights just put a red bulb in one of them and wire it into a new switch somewhere in the dash, you can buy switches with a tell tail light built in or just whack an LED somewhere which is what i did when the switch i bought with a light in didn't work.

Back
Top Bottom