PC starts stuttering after a few hours of any kind of use progressivally getting worse

Associate
I built this system about 2 months ago but recently I've been having this issue.

Here is the component list:
Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 8 Intel Z270 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C15 3000MHz Dual Channel
EVGA SuperNova G2 750W '80 Plus Gold' Modular PSU
Samsung 960 EVO Polaris 500GB M.2 2280
Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz
KFA2 GeForce GTX 1070 EX OC
and a Corsair CSSD-F960 GBLEB Force Series LE 960 GB for extra storage

What I'm Experiencing is basically whats in the title. The pc will start off perfectly but after 3-4 hours of intensive or light is there will be stuttering almost like a couple of frame skips. After 4-5 hours the pc will continously freeze for about 1-2 seconds at very short intervals rendering the system useless.
Here is a list of attempts to fix the issue:
100% clean install on windows
updating drivers and BIOS
Switching ram slots and using only one stick
having only the m.2 storage plugged in
Switching GPU slots and re-installing drivers

Judging by the nature of the issue, what might be the culprit? How can I confirm where the issue is coming from?

Cheers

Man of Honour
I'd put bets on the culprit being the Killer NIC on that board :( see what DPC latency is like when it starts getting bad - could also be a memory leak with those NIC drivers.

Associate
OP
Yeah, Temps are all normal. CPU is arounbd 55-60c during gaming and over more intensive tasks. All Loads and temps seem pretty normal throughout the time period.
Any reccomended methods to measure this potential latency issue?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I use LatencyMon myself - it should tell you what system component (driver runtime, etc.) any abnormal latency is coming from.

Associate
OP
Sorry Habakkuk its Win 10.

But anyways i was running latency monitor tests over the weekend and at first and the culprit was "wdf01000.sys" which was running insanely high.

Then windows decided to update and it actually seemed to have fixed the issue. some sort of broken registry or the network driver itself? If someone more technical wants to take a crack at explaining this it would be appreciated.

Performance seems fine after 8 hours or so which a steady low average on latency with fairly intensive use (gaming, downloads, installing the rest of my programs etc). Although it does have a couple of spikes shown here
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AgK2VaIFWrsIkxyJebz_z186jRvf

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AgK2VaIFWrsIhiQAUE6GrBmvXWUZ

Ndis.sys and Rfeco10x64 seemed to have spiked during the tests, although i didn't notice anything. Not 100% sure whether thats a pretty normal result or whether its a cause for concern for the future? Advice on that would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom