Strange problem removing two drives.

Soldato
Got a new 2TB hard drive to replace one 320gb drive and one 500gb drive. When I remove the two drives and with only my SSD plugged in which Wins10 is installed when i boot up it comes up with "cannot find boot drive". Any ideas?

Soldato
Go into BIOS and make sure the SSD is recognised,if so make sure it shows within boot manager, you may have to make it primary boot device.

Soldato
As mentioned make sure the SSD is the first boot device.

when you installed windows 10 did you have any of the HDDs connected? windows has a habit of storing part of windows on a second HDD\SSD so when they are removed it then removes the MBR and fails to boot

Soldato
OP
Checked in BIOS and the SSD is number one as the boot drive. Both drives were installed yes, when I did the install.

Soldato
Disconnect one of the HDDs and try and boot, if it fails connect the other HDD and disconnect the other then try again.

if it boots when the HDD is connected its most likely got the MBR stored on the HDD rather than the SSD

Soldato
When installing Windows, airways disconnect all other drives.

This when I install windows I remove everything else and then add them 1 by 1 to make sure there isn't any issues (goes back to my installing Windows 3.11 days) it may seem a bit anal but trust me when you've come across issues it really is the simplest solution.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys. Will have a tinker tonight. How do i fix the problem if i find a drive that works when the ssd is connected?

Soldato
If you find out its on another drive and disconnecting it is causing the issue you can run windows repair with just the SSD connected and it should fix the issue

Don
One great tool for fixing this, install Macrium reflect on a pc. Get it to create the bootable CD/usb stick, then boot from that with just your ssd connected.

In that is has a tool for fixing Windows startup problems, it's better than the built in Microsoft one.

Soldato
OP
Finally got round to installing this using Macrium reflect so thanks for the help. Do wonder though why they sell it as 2TB yet only get 1.81TB of space.

Back
Top Bottom