New phone - £300 ish

Ian

Ian

Associate
What are the cameras like on these phones? Do they compare relatively favourably to the S7 and the Pixel or do they lag behind? Im coming from an LG G2 and trying to decide what to do regarding a new phone and the camera (along with storage and battery life) is probably the most important feature for me.

Soldato
Camera reviews of the phone suggest that the camera isn't that great on the G5 plus (compared to the S7). I'm sure it's a great phone but at the moment there really isn't a lot out there that competes with the 3T on price/features. Every other phone seems to lack in one key area compared to it.

I'd highly suggest avoiding a mobile with non stock android.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
Camera reviews of the phone suggest that the camera isn't that great on the G5 plus (compared to the S7). I'm sure it's a great phone but at the moment there really isn't a lot out there that competes with the 3T on price/features. Every other phone seems to lack in one key area compared to it.

OxygenOS sounds like non-stock Android to me tbf, the G5 Plus runs a close to stock Android too (but they've not felt the need to rename the OS!).

The camera on the G5 Plus is the same sensor as the S7 but it lacks the OIS iirc

Associate

OPO 3T lacks 2K screen, front stereo speakers, microsd card slot and hi-res audio.

Soldato
I think 2K resolution is over-rated personally.

For media consumption and most normal phone usage 1920x1080 is plenty. Sure 2K and QHD is better for VR and Pixel Density but this comes at the cost of heat, battery drain and increased cost.

Lacking an SD Card expansion is probably the biggest issue for most consumers but OnePlus are at least REASONABLE with the 128GB cost over the 64GB unlike Apple and others who totally gouge for the privilege of internal memory.

I guess audio is only really an issue if you are hyper critical. Some reviews rate the 3T audio favourably, beating out the GS7 and HTC 10.

Soldato
So think I'm deciding between the LG V20, ZTE Axon 7, and One plus 3T, all had for in or around 400 from the bay via Ireland, which i assume are okay for UK use.
Still not sure which one though.

Soldato
OP3T is the best if you want decent updates.
The Axon 7 has been received quite well too. I nearly got 1 but got sick of waiting for it to get released.
You could get a Nexus 6P for £300ish and they're great phones.

Soldato
OxygenOS sounds like non-stock Android to me tbf, the G5 Plus runs a close to stock Android too (but they've not felt the need to rename the OS!).

The camera on the G5 Plus is the same sensor as the S7 but it lacks the OIS iirc

A sensor doesn't always translate directly to picture quality. The one on the LG G5 and G6 werent what we'd consider flagship grade, yet they take some of the best pictures, beating out the S7 in many areas.

Oxygen doesn't add any bloat like the other manufacturers, namely Samsung. At one point they had an app for everything Google already do. On my Nexus 6P, i had 80 apps installed total. On my S7 edge, there's north of 110 (same apps downloaded, the extra is from Samsung).

OPO 3T lacks 2K screen, front stereo speakers, microsd card slot and hi-res audio.

If you're referring to 1440p, having owned many 1080p and 1440p devices, i still feel 1440p is unnecessary and not worth the tradeoff battery wise (though in reality, at least with Samsung, the displays are more efficient than most LCD 1080p panels, so in reality I'm not fussed).

The number of micro SD cards I've had fail on me, or refuse to transfer to the computer, or don't work well for having apps installed on them, I'd rather just pay more for a larger storage.

Front facing speakers, while great, aren't what is consider key for what I use my phone for. I don't listen to videos through the speakers enough to sacrifice something else. Nice, but i didn't miss them that much going from the 6P to the S7 edge.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
A sensor doesn't always translate directly to picture quality. The one on the LG G5 and G6 werent what we'd consider flagship grade, yet they take some of the best pictures, beating out the S7 in many areas.

Oxygen doesn't add any bloat like the other manufacturers, namely Samsung. At one point they had an app for everything Google already do. On my Nexus 6P, i had 80 apps installed total. On my S7 edge, there's north of 110 (same apps downloaded, the extra is from Samsung).

ack, my point re the sensor was that the hardware isn't bad - and of course, there's loads done in software and the drivers - but that means that there's potential for it to improve.

I'm all too familiar with Samsung's bloat as I own a S6, but I was comparing with the G5 rather than the mess that Samsung have made of Android

Soldato
ack, my point re the sensor was that the hardware isn't bad - and of course, there's loads done in software and the drivers - but that means that there's potential for it to improve.

I'm all too familiar with Samsung's bloat as I own a S6, but I was comparing with the G5 rather than the mess that Samsung have made of Android

Oh right, I think it's not so much bloat on the OP3 as it is useful features. Like Cyanogen - I wouldn't consider the mods to the OS as bloatware. With Samsung, all the active stay with your eyes and edge panel crap that I disabled straight away is gimmicky and a complete waste of resources.

Imagine if Samsung launched a galaxy series with stock android, apart from Knox etc - what reason would there be to buy a Pixel? They could single handedly kill off all competition.

Associate
The one I got is h990ds and some countries might come with UK plug, my one likely is Taiwan version. But for sure HK version h990n come with an UK plug

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom