One of those Calls.

Caporegime
Hi,

Not for the first time, I've just had a phone call from someone (struggled to fully understand him) who was informing me that my machine was going to go kaput or something like that. What surprised me was that he didn't ask for anything like bank details - so I'm assuming he wanted remote access?

Are there steps I should take to tighten up security. I currently use Win 7 64 HP, MSE and on occasion Malwarebytes.

Normally, I wouldn't bat an eyelid at this sort of thing but for some reason, it's made me very curious.

Any tips from the IT pros would be helpful.

Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Just block the number. They call random numbers in hope someone will fall for their trick (they don't know anything about you), usually trying to get you to install remote software so it looks like they're attempting to "fix" your PC only to suddenly tell you that you need their special software to protect you, and if you don't purchase it since they're still remoted they start deleting random stuff. Happened to my mother but I stopped it just in time and wiped everything just in case.

Associate
Just waste as much time of theirs as you can. Tell them you are doing everything they say, but then get different answers so they have to tell you again. if you are lucky with the time of their call it is a really good way to pass the time while on the toilet :)

Soldato
When they tell me my computer is at risk, or whatever, I'd just ask them to which one they refer... and then go through some dream setups as if you had them all right there.
That, or tell them it was made by 8Pack and is stronger against attacks than anything they can sell you!!

Back
Top Bottom