What's next for phones & tablets?

Soldato
Have we reached a peak, I'm know operating systems have, Microsoft for example say they won't release another full OS again, rather updates to existing OS's. So what next for mobile devices. Thinner, faster, higher resolution?

Permabanned
The OS is starting to shift to OaaS "(Os as a Service") so we will only see a shift in how we use the hardware, and the software will just adjust to cater for the new platform.

We already see it for VR, for phone > tablet / pc switching.

Eventually wearable tech will be more considerable (look at Lenovo wrist phone), but we need technological advances still.

What we do with such tech unfortunately hasn't changed for a long time.

Associate
Have we reached a peak, I'm know operating systems have, Microsoft for example say they won't release another full OS again, rather updates to existing OS's. So what next for mobile devices. Thinner, faster, higher resolution?
None of those need improving.Phones are already thin enough,fast enough and have more pixels than an eye can see.
What's needed is better batteries and cameras as good as ...well,cameras :)
I fear real innovation is a long way off but let's get real here,smartphones are really impressive pieces of kit,£200 gets you a really good phone these days

Associate
Looking into a longer lasting battery technology would be my wish. They can quadruple the speed of today's best phone but without adequate juice, it's gonna drain way too fast to be a sensible buy.

Speed, thinness and power - choose any 2. I personally dislike the fact everything's getting thinner and lighter - give me a brick with a kick-ass CPU instead! :p

Soldato
Battery technology improvement and some kind of material that replaces glass, that doesn't break when the phone is dropped, would be much better improvements than faster CPU and even higher res screens.

Soldato
combining phones and tablets into one with foldable or rollable screens.
+1
Microsoft is working on surface phone and Samsung has been working on foldable/rolled phones since 2012 at least - why do you think they play so much with curved screens and making the phones slimmer and slimmer each year? It's quite obvious they will probably need to get down to around 7.5mm for foldable phone not to fill like a brick and with s8 now they're pretty close to have something they can fold have edges become 1 big screen.

I think 2017-2019 will be the refinement process, perhaps drop to 7nm and maybe in late 2019-2020 we will start to see those appear. Could fit quite a lot of power into the phone this way as well, making things like DeX possibly strong enough to replace basic office PCs/work laptops.

Associate
Obviously for Microsoft the end game is a Surface powerful enough to also be an Xbox. I can see it happening since that's pretty much what the Switch does but with up to date hardware.

Soldato
I personally dislike the fact everything's getting thinner and lighter - give me a brick with a kick-ass CPU instead! :p

Get a lenovo toughbook then carry that around ;). Usually you can get cases with battery packs as well, I've had 10000mah battery for note 2 it lasted good 4days of usage or a week of light use although did make the phone over twice the thickness.

We probably won't get better batteries in mobiles as long as they're getting smaller each year. Only when we hit the wall at shrinking thibgs, we will start making things bigger again hah.

I think we will have real wireless charging (charging devices around house or room) before we get better battery life.

Man of Honour
I'd like some larger tablets.

Been playing with a Samsung 18.4" tablet a bit recently. It's ok, but only 1080 so it's a shame about the resolution. Oh, and the stand is bloody horrible.

Also had a 22" Android AIO which was probably better than the Samsung but again, only 1080. Was also pretty interesting to use too. Could even be run as a monitor which was pretty useful.

Associate
I've heard future screens are going to be foldable and flexible. Unfolding a phone sounds like flip phones and clamshells which doesn't sound progressive to me. I think beyond that, future tech will be about projecting a hi-def holo screen similar to what some high end car instrumentation are introducing but that you will be able to interact with it and not just view.
Smartphones are still primitive considering how old the concept of electronic organiizers are e.g. Palm OS, Handspring. Its being stagnated by social media and companies focusing on harvesting personal data primarily for selling goods/services and marketing.

Back
Top Bottom