Retro console and games thread

Soldato
Oh ok thanks guys, already helped me out! I do remember hearing something about BC on the slim! I do wonder if I would just prefer the slim due to its form factor and also grab an original PS1 just to pad out the hardware shelf a bit, both tend to be inexpensive I imagine?

Man of Honour
It might be more reliable and has the Ethernet port and IR sensor built in. But you couldn't add a hard drive if you wanted and some of the controller multi taps don't fit.

The slim also has an external, lap top style, power supply so replacing those is more expensive than the standard figure of 8 power cord required for the Fat model.

The Fat can be orientated vertically with out a stand, whereas the slim probably requires a stand and because it doesn't have a slide out disk tray then positioning it in vertical mode might be more restricted.

Just things to consider.

Soldato
It might be more reliable and has the Ethernet port and IR sensor built in. But you couldn't add a hard drive if you wanted and some of the controller multi taps don't fit.

The slim also has an external, lap top style, power supply so replacing those is more expensive than the standard figure of 8 power cord required for the Fat model.

The Fat can be orientated vertically with out a stand, whereas the slim probably requires a stand and because it doesn't have a slide out disk tray then positioning it in vertical mode might be more restricted.

Just things to consider.

Thanks, all things I haven't thought about! Swings and roundabouts then. Maybe I'll go fat for extra nostalgia. I think it's worth getting a ps2, just not sure if it's worth aiming to 'collect' for it so much as everything is so mass produced.

Man of Honour
Even if you stick to PS2 exclusive games there's plenty to choose from. Particularly in the PAL region with all football, rugby and cricket games on top of all the shovel ware that came late in the systems life, after Sony reduced licencing and production costs.

Soldato
Would you guys say £35 is any good for a fat ps2, 2 controllers, memory card and about 30 games

The games are a mix of decent to stuff I wouldn't play, has all the burnout games, maxpayne series but is also bulked up with wrestling games and stuff

Man of Honour
I'd say it's a decent price.

The seller could probably get £35 trading it in to CEX.

£16 for the system, £5 for the extra controller and memory card. Only needs an average of 50p a game to get to £35.

CEX seems to be having an impact on sale prices. They now buy and sell most retro systems and games and there's definitely been a drop in prices on eBay.

Soldato
Ok cool, I mean the games I don't want I could just bundle up and sell on eBay not that it would even be worth the effort :D it's available just 2nd inline as the chap is waiting to hear back from his first contact

The bundle in question:

IMG_0777.png

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Looks like I'll have to sell off most of my collection.

Short story is

We recently had problems remortgaging because the lease hold on our house only has 54 years left. Basically our house is still in my wife's name after a divorce. We want to swap to a joint mortgage and the lease hold is causing problems.

So buying the lease is more important than having shelf fulls of games gathering dust.

So some of it may end up in the MM.

Soldato
Looks like I'll have to sell off most of my collection.

Short story is

We recently had problems remortgaging because the lease hold on our house only has 54 years left. Basically our house is still in my wife's name after a divorce. We want to swap to a joint mortgage and the lease hold is causing problems.

So buying the lease is more important than having shelf fulls of games gathering dust.

So some of it may end up in the MM.

Really sorry to hear this mate, I would consider the same (if mine was worth anything)

You can always rebuy stuff once everything is sorted out I guess? I hope you don't have to lose it all

Back
Top Bottom