Removing paint from glass door

Soldato
Refreshing a couple of badly painted glass panel doors. Have removed the bulk of the paint, but wondered if anyone had a good way of getting the paint off of the edges of the glass, in particular, but also from the beading around the panes.

Qrd86Fx.jpg

It'll be repainted, so don't need all the paint removed from the beading, just enough to smooth out the bumps really.

I've started sanding by hand on the beading, and using a stanley blade on the glass, but it'll take forever.

I'm hoping someone has a better idea.....?

Man of Honour
If its a solvent/oil based paint there is a pretty horrific method IIRC using some of the same type of paint over it first and then following up with some kind of vinegar concoction :S can't remember details off the top of my head but my dad has done it from time to time.

Associate
one of those sharp Stanley scrapers with the replaceable blades, just work your way along pushing the blade towards the beading, should straighten it out

Soldato
OP
Spent approx 4 hours on it yesterday, clearing 6 panes with a Stanley blade, and the beading with sand paper. As there are two doors each with 10 panes, and I need to do both sides, that leaves around 22 hours more work using that method.

So I've taken on board the tips and bought some paint stripper and wire wool today.

Soldato
OP
Spent approx 4 hours on it yesterday, clearing 6 panes with a Stanley blade, and the beading with sand paper. As there are two doors each with 10 panes, and I need to do both sides, that leaves around 22 hours more work using that method.

So I've taken on board the tips and bought some paint stripper and wire wool today.
This didn't turn out well.

Where once paint stripper gave God-like powers of paint removal to the mortal man, EU regulation has forced change to the formulation such that ordinary paint is now replaced by an unholy mess of sticky ex-paint, as well as a liberal coating of still-paint.

So my next question :
Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove sticky paint-mixed-with-paint-stripper from the beading of a glass panel wooden door?

I've tried soap and water, and wd40.

Associate
Get a Stanley shavehook.

Paint on some Biostrip 20 - if it's only a couple layers of paint should be ok - but messy - and run the shavehook down it - get off the majority then sand by hand or with a mouse type sander.

Or buy another door.

Soldato
This didn't turn out well.

Where once paint stripper gave God-like powers of paint removal to the mortal man, EU regulation has forced change to the formulation such that ordinary paint is now replaced by an unholy mess of sticky ex-paint, as well as a liberal coating of still-paint.

So my next question :
Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove sticky paint-mixed-with-paint-stripper from the beading of a glass panel wooden door?

I've tried soap and water, and wd40.

I'm guessing you didn't take notice of my recommendation of Starchem Synstrip? That stuff still contains all the nasty crap the eu banned.

Available on eBay.

dal

dal

Associate

Or buy another door.

By the sounds of it i think you'd be better off getting another door, I've got a couple of glass panel doors that had paint on them, I scraped some of the paint off with a blade but it's left scratches on the glass that you can really see in the sun it doesn't look nice.

Back
Top Bottom