Poll: Would you want to work with the wife/long-term gf??

Would you work with your wife/girfriend

• Yes I would love to !

Votes: 25 9.6%
  • Hell no !!

Votes: 187 71.9%
  • Not bothered.

Votes: 48 18.5%

• Total voters
Caporegime
Hell to the nine-thousand times no.

At work, I need the freedom to be able to argue with people, tell them they are idiots and complain to my colleagues about the directors till their ears fall off. (My colleagues' I mean. The directors are already incapable of listening). Shouting at someone can calling them an idiot would be very problematic if I were involved with them.

Having my partner as my junior would destroy the dynamic of our relationship. Having my partner as my senior would take the dynamic too far, and also make him hate me undoubtedly as I am an incredibly awkward employee. Working on a level or in separate areas would just be, I don't know - weird. And also partly dodging the premise of the question if it were some different department.

And goddess help us if there were some sort of office flirting going on with either one of us and a co-worker!

What I need in a partner as far as work is concerned, is someone who I can call up and rant bitterly about some stupid decision or dumb behaviour someone has committed and them to nod and tell me I am right. Working alongside my partner would run the risk of them occasionally seeing someone else's point of view or showing empathy / moderation to a colleague. And that I absolutely cannot have. What I need from a partner is someone who unquestioningly tells me I'm right after I am done complaining about my day. A partner who cannot provide that is missing a critical element of what relationships are for, imo!

Wow I personally couldn't live or work with this!

I'm going to say no (unless it's your own business). New and gf are quite similar, don't argue and have similar interests.. But too much time together only makes things stale. It's good to get home and see gf. We also both need our own time.

I say.. Ideally no.

Soldato
I worked with my wife for around 10 years and it was great fun. We don't work together anymore but both of us would be up for doing it again. Conversation did become mostly about work which was fine at the time as neither of us minded too much, but it's also nice now that we chat about our own lives apart, doing different work.

From our experience I'd say it all comes down to both sides being able to communicate, see and put themselves in the other persons point of view; then come to a joint resolution on what's the best way forward as a team. If you can both do that then things should be fine, if either person can't then I'd run a mile as it would be hell!

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok jokes aside, hopefully we can get them out of the way fast, would you want this?
My gf was saying how great it would be, how we could commute together, have lunch, etc etc.
I bluntly said no freaking way, worst thing i could possibly imagine.
Working with family is quite common place up in North Sweden, but it freaked me the hell out. I'm already work with her sister, who effectively got me the foot in the door. (Catering job, not my field but betters can't be choosers)

I love coming home to her, talking about our days, etc etc. It's nice to want to see her, i said in not so many words I'd get sick of her ten hours a day...

Am i a heartless freak?

Can we have a poll? Options yes i would like it, no i wouldn't. Don't care either way.

If you already do work with your significant other how does it work??
As few banging the secutary jokes as possible....

You would be equal employees...

You haven't put the other option. "I have done it"

Between 2003-2008 worked together with my wife and was great, at the same workplace, whilst commuting together. (ok I was driving she was snoring).
When we moved house and separate jobs, in 8 months we were divorced.

Man of Honour
I have since we were housemates before we started going out. Still work for the same company in the same office now, although we do very different roles.

Most people think we are mad, but it works for us.

Soldato
If it was a small business that we'd started together then I could see the benefits, as you'd live and breathe that business all the time anyway. But in a larger workplace then no, I don't think so. Anyway, at the moment our professional roles are conflicted so it wouldn't be practical / allowed.

Did it for two years. Even worse when you are her boss. People constantly make jibes of favouritism etc when in fact she would get the worst deal because we could rely on each other.

I worked with my OH shortly after getting together. I was her team leader and she would defo get the raw deal because I knew if I asked her to do something she would without hesitation or moaning. This was spotted by my then manager who steered me in a better direction.

Lots of years later

We run a couple of businesses together now 49:49 split. So now we live at work and are in each others company pretty much 24/7. Couldn't be happier and its been that way for nearly 5 yrs.

We are both working towards the same goal. We both have strengths and weaknesses but we compliment each other, and at least for us it works.

Associate
Met my Missus at work and happily worked with her for a few years.

We both do very different things now so it wouldn't be possible but I wouldn't have any issue working with her again.

Associate
If you are talking about a 'family business' then yes, sure. If its just working at the particular company that you happen to be at, no thanks ...

Soldato
I don't have many rules in life, but never mixing business with pleasure is one of them and I try and stick to it.

But I suppose if it is in a role with equal interests, equal efforts and equal rewards then it could work. For exapme if you are working together in a business you create together. In a standard work place I think it opens you up to all kinds of politics and shenanigans, particularly if the relationship sours.

I love my wife and I respect her work ethic and I am sure I could happily work with her in reality. Not sure if I would want to though - too much of a good thing and all of that malarky.

Soldato
Yep!

The Wife and myself are looking to open/Run a camping/caravaning site in Devon or Cornwall in a few years! Just got to get the Adoption process out of the way first and let the kiddiewinkies settle... then off to the Atlantic or Jurassic coast we go!! :)

Back
Top Bottom