Golf Thread

Soldato
I'm looking to get back into golf after a 15yr absence, and thinking that I might treat myself to a new club.

I'm currently using a set of 20yr Wilson John Daly clubs, 2 iron through to 3 wood, and a Taylormade Supersteel bubble driver.

I was never been happy with the bigger irons or the woods off the fairway, and I still feel the same, so I'm thinking of getting a hybrid club to replace 4 iron through to 3 wood, just something that I can hit a bit better off the fairway, any recommendations please?

Associate
If you're looking for something as friendly as possible look for a #4 hybrid (so this would be lofted around 21-22 degrees) and distance-wise it wouldn't be far behind a #3 hybrid, but would likely be slightly easier to launch.

Departing models from the previous season can still be had for a discount from most retailers. I've got a Cobra F6 which I really like, I've actually got it in a regular flex shaft as well as opposed to my other clubs which are stuff as this feels quite stout.

Also worth a mention would be the Callaway XR. I think you could find either of these for less than £100.

Mizuno hybrids (the EZ series) are also very friendly. As is the Ping G25. Some shops may still stock these.

Man of Honour
Sorry for the really noobish question but where is the best place to get golf balls? It seems like for the big brands you've got to fork out... unless they are mysteriously half price from a slightly dubious looking 'outlet'.

Want to get some nice bright / high visibility ones.

I know it won't improve my terrible game to buy the expensive ones but, ya know.

Soldato
Sorry for the really noobish question but where is the best place to get golf balls? It seems like for the big brands you've got to fork out... unless they are mysteriously half price from a slightly dubious looking 'outlet'.

I know it won't improve my terrible game to buy the expensive ones but, ya know.
Depends on your level of play, if you are a casual player then any proshop Ive ever been in has a basket sat with loose balls (Pinnacle/top flight etc) and usually have deals that work out less than a quid a ball.

Associate

You could always head to somewhere like Sports Direct and pick up a couple dozen cheap balls from there, probably only cost £15

Or the usual golf shops like Direct Golf / American Golf usually have refurbished balls in big bags for pretty cheap (quick look - 50 lake balls for £20 on AG website)

Soldato
Golf can be so frustrating sometimes. For the past year I've been working on a draw and have got quite consistent at it, though occasionally it turns into a hook if I'm not careful, particularly off the tee. However, I played a round on Monday and after starting quite well I got to about the fifth hole and sliced a tee shot. I assumed it was just a mishit and thought I'd sort things out on the next tee, but the slice persisted for the rest of the 18 and I ended up having to take about four or five provisional tee shots where I kept on slicing it so badly that I wasn't sure I'd be able to find the first :(

Soldato
If you're looking for something as friendly as possible look for a #4 hybrid (so this would be lofted around 21-22 degrees) and distance-wise it wouldn't be far behind a #3 hybrid, but would likely be slightly easier to launch.

Departing models from the previous season can still be had for a discount from most retailers. I've got a Cobra F6 which I really like, I've actually got it in a regular flex shaft as well as opposed to my other clubs which are stuff as this feels quite stout.

Also worth a mention would be the Callaway XR. I think you could find either of these for less than £100.

Mizuno hybrids (the EZ series) are also very friendly. As is the Ping G25. Some shops may still stock these.

And in a complete turnaround, I had a quick round of golf with my brother and he's selling a set of clubs complete with bag and everything for £80, so I'm going to try them out for now and I've paid for membership to the golf club 100yds from my front door with the change, lol!

2-SW Ping Zing 2's
Cleveland 8.5° 400 driver
3 and 5 wood
4 hybrid
Almost new Nike trolley bag

Not perfect, but between his set and my set it'll see me through this year, hopefully I'll start playing better and justify buying some better clubs next year!

His 8.5° driver is no good to me though, and my old 12° is too much for my swing now, so I've just bought a cheap 10.5° Wilson HDX to see me through.

Soldato
I use game golf. Dont really find it that helpful and tbh using it got me frustrated putting too much pressure on myself to gain those extra few yards or shoot 78 everytime I went out. Not going to lie it really didnt help me at all. Ive tried to use it sparingly more recently using it more for gps than to tag shots

Soldato
For something under £180 if you want a new driver you'll be looking at the Cobra King F6, Callaway XR15, or the Callaway Great Big Bertha, all of which are £180 online. I'd recommend looking up local courses as some will have a good shop and a pro who could fit you. Otherwise, check out something like American Golf. Are you sure it's the club and not something wrong with your technique? If you hit your other clubs okay but struggle with your driver then it could be an indication that you need a swing adjustment with your driver. Bear in mind that generally the lower lofted the club the less you can get away with off-centre strikes, delivering an open or closed face-to-path, swinging particularly out-to-in or in-to-out, etc.

Soldato
For something under £180 if you want a new driver you'll be looking at the Cobra King F6, Callaway XR15, or the Callaway Great Big Bertha, all of which are £180 online. I'd recommend looking up local courses as some will have a good shop and a pro who could fit you. Otherwise, check out something like American Golf. Are you sure it's the club and not something wrong with your technique? If you hit your other clubs okay but struggle with your driver then it could be an indication that you need a swing adjustment with your driver. Bear in mind that generally the lower lofted the club the less you can get away with off-centre strikes, delivering an open or closed face-to-path, swinging particularly out-to-in or in-to-out, etc.
Well i recently bought a Nike Covert VRS 2.0 im very hit and miss and to be honest have been with a driver for a long time. (I've been playing more consistently for 2 years but on and off for probably 4/5 years. The main issue i have with a driver is the length im 5ft5 using a standard Driver and im almost certain its too long for me, which forms technique issues certainly.

The club doesnt have to be brand new if you suggest good clubs ill dig around second hand and look.

Soldato
Yeah driver shaft length will be an issue for you in that case. Do you have shortened irons? In terms of used clubs you could check out somewhere like golfbidder. Ebay is another option but you need to be a bit careful because there are fakes floating about there.

In terms of which clubs you want to consider, on top of the ones I've listed above you could also take a look at last year's Taylormade M2, which I tested and really liked (though even used it may still be a bit more than £180), or going further back you could try to find a good example of the Taylormade SLDR. You should also check out the Mizuno JPX850 driver, and the Callaway Big Bertha from 2014. I'd still recommend that you should go and hit some at a shop though, sometimes a club can look great online but then the look/feel of it can be very different in person. Also, a lot of drivers are adjustable now and a pro would be able to change the loft, lie, etc to suit your swing.

Associate
Sorry guys, this has probably been spoken to death about.
I trying to purchase a beginners set that's quite forgiving for about £150. I been playing with my father in laws PING set but been told there bit harder to hit the sweet spot.
Anyone recommend anything for a beginner? I been looking that Fazer CTR20 and a dunlop set.
Thought i'd come and ask the pros

Soldato
Would a casual relatively high handicapper like me, having had no lessons look silly getting fitted for a driver or should I have lessons first?
Absolutely not, your swing speed and path doesn't vary by much regardless how "good" or bad it is (read: repeatable) Getting the right length, loft, and flex is important.

Back
Top Bottom