Anyone use voice commands to control their PC?

Associate
So basically I got a new phone the other week that came with "OK Google" or whatever the actual app is called.

I'm pretty impressed with the things it can do with my phone, from opening apps to writing texts for me and playing tracks I choose, all by voice command.

My question is, is there a way of setting that kind of thing up on my Windows PC?

It'd be cool to be able to get home from work say "play 'insert track name' and have it do it for me.

Or open my email client

Lazy I know, but I'm thinking Jarvis from Iron-man

Does anyone do this already?

I was thinking of using Alexa but not sure if it can be linked to PC

Associate
OP
voice attack :)
Looks good! Do I need to program and train it to open every album folder on my computer though or can it intelligent search based on my speech input?

Had a quick look on YouTube and some guy has set it up to open specific play lists via VLC, but I want something that will play whatever I ask without having to train it to open several hundred albums individually

Soldato
isnt this what cortana is for?

never used cortana, but i do use google primarily for changing tracks in the car, but if you listen to anything even vaguely uncommon or hard to pronounce it really falls flat on its face.

plus my inner tin foil hat doesnt like the idea of my pc listening to me.

Associate
Used Cortana a bit but prefer using a keyboard.

My pc used to boot up and say "Hello Dave" a few years back, my name isn't Dave :)

Soldato
voice always seems like a good idea but unless you are disabled its usually faster just to use a mouse or type..

don't get me wrong its a worth while technology, once its perfected so you can blabber a load of crap and it really does intelligently understand it would great...

Caporegime
Anyone use voice commands to control their PC?

Yep. Takes a little training, but perseverance pays off. To date, my PC understands the following commands:

* sit
* stay
* play dead

My pc used to boot up and say "Hello Dave" a few years back, my name isn't Dave :)

Elsewhere in the UK, Dave wants to know why his PC always calls him 'Voicon.'

Soldato
I have told my PC many times to **** off and you ****, neither have solved any issues :confused:

Anyone still use Dragon NaturallySpeaking? I found that was pretty good for dictating into MS Word etc.

I don't do the "new" stuff.. Siri, Alexa Cortona. I can touch-type 55 wpm, so no need.

But you probably have to get out of bed to use a keyboard.

Soldato
Used Cortana a bit but prefer using a keyboard.

TheLeagueOfGentlemen-PapaLazarou.jpg

You're my wife now, Dave

B@

Back
Top Bottom