Too much choice... What should I pick?

Associate
I'm just getting back into gaming, and am looking at getting a new PC (and taking a few bits from my old PC). My power supply is decent, and I'll reuse SSD & HDD. I've got an old GTX680 which i'll use until I've saved up a bit more cash to replace it with a better one (probably GTX1070)

What I'm currently looking at buying at the moment is:

Case: Corsair 400C Midi Tower - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...ase-black-window-cc-9011081-ww-ca-216-cs.html

CPU: i7-700 - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inte...ocket-lga1151-processor-retail-cp-62f-in.html

RAM: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...00mhz-dual-channel-kit-red-led-my-48c-cs.html (I like flashy LED's)

I wanted a liquid CPU cooler.... What's good?
Motherboard - I was looking at Z270, but there is so many options... recommendations please?

I am open to changing bits I have spec'd above if there are things that would make improvements.
My budget for the case, CPU, MOBO, RAM & Cooler is around £1,000

Thanks in advance...

Associate
What's the benefit from Ryzen? The price of 1700x compared to 7700k looks almost identical. Reviews seem to suggest the 7700k gives ~10% better performance for games but worse performance on other stuff. The OP states the upgrade is for gaming so wouldn't the 7700k be the stronger option here?

Caporegime
The ryzen has more cores/threads.

Hopefully as games and developers get more complex and they take advantage of it, it should out last the 7700k, yes it's slower currently but it is still making good numbers.

Soldato
As above - as updates and software become optimised the gap for gaming should be negligable and future software/games (they will eventually arrive) that uses more cores/theads will really shine with the Ryzen.

That said the i7 -7700K is a great CPU - and would make a great build for present and future games. Most of us will suggest Ryzen for the longevity of the socket/future proofing and the fact that the speed difference in games is negligible in most cases - and that the gap should close even more as updates come out and software developers optimise their games (Ashes of the Singularity being an example).

Associate
1080p is where the i7 -7700K shines better, but hey, i have a 4k monitor and the i7 -7700K does not shine for me :D

Associate
OP
Thanks for your recommendations. I spent hours reading through various forum posts, reading peoples opions as they argue over whether to go i7 or Ryzen, and finally decided to go with what stulid spec'd above. Ordered today, and will be arriving tomorrow. :)

Soldato
It's a cracking build - you won't regret it.

Once you've got the money for the GTX 1070 you'll experience another massive performance boost - games will be buttery smooth at 1080p/1440p ULTRA settings.

Associate
you will be over the moon with that build - its like having a V8 under your bonnet, when gaming it will be like cruising at low revs :D

Back
Top Bottom