Going rate for car storage

Associate
What is the going rate for basic car storage?

Due to an ongoing rejection of a 10 month old car I purchased, I have had a 66 plate courtesy car on my drive for 10 weeks after the company told me verbally 3 times I am not insured to drive it and 2 times they said they will report me to the police.. The company have been this week and took the car away on a low loader.

I am going to bill them for storing their car and the cost of renting a car for the 10 weeks that they left me without transport but unsure what a realistic charge is?

Caporegime
Did you notify them that if they didn't come and take it away you would be billing them and told them a reasonable rate for doing so? Well it doesn't sound like you did so you don't really have a leg to stand on tbh. Why not park the car on the street for instance instead of on your driveway?

Again why aren't they providing you with a car for the 10 weeks? Sounds like there is more to this story than meets the eye. Obviously you are only telling us 1 half of the story.

Associate
OP
I got no reason to tell you the story and I have all the video evidence of every visit to their dealership 55 miles away for my records.

I only asked a simple question, not to be interrogated. You sound as if you work for the same company as them...

Soldato
I got no reason to tell you the story and I have all the video evidence of every visit to their dealership 55 miles away for my records.

I only asked a simple question, not to be interrogated. You sound as if you work for the same company as them...

No need to get so defensive. I think he is entirely right and it's reasonable advice. How can you bill someone retrospectively for a service if you didn't have an agreement beforehand?

It's like you parking on the street somewhere and then being sent an invoice afterwards. If you knew at the time then you probably wouldn't have parked there.

Associate
As Psycho Sunny tried to say if you didnt tell them you were planning to do this in advance you wont have a leg to stand on.

Imagine if you arrived at your local supermarket and then at the till you were charged £5 for parking on your food bill despite there being no signs or warning mechanism in the car park. It simply wouldn't be enforceable.

When you post a story like this very obviously only giving one side of something quite complex you should expect to be asked questions. It is after all a, discussion, forum. If the story is too complex for you to tell and you only want specific questions answering regarding the legalities of what you want to do I would suggest you would be better off contacting citizens advice or a lawyer than you will be posting on a forum.

Can't type for toffee
Don
Why bother opening the thread if your're just going to ignore the comments and queries other than the ones you want to hear?
As above I'd think you don't have a leg to stand on tbh, you should've notified them that you want the car removed and given them a time frame to pickup.
With this not don you'd hev then been looking at getting the car removed.

OK so you bought a car and went on to subsequently reject it
The company then sent you a hire car but didn't insure you
And threatened you with police should you attempt to remove it from your land

Day insurance, move car off drive may have proven a valid option

Soldato
Sounds like the car he bought was faulty so he rejected it, took it back to them and they offered to repair it and gave him a courtesy car which he then basically refused to give back as they kept saying they wanted to repair the car and return it and he was saying he wanted to reject it.

Sounds like someone could have moved it off his drive at any time (as most people with fully comp have 3rd party cover for other vehicles), so trying to claim for car storage seems like a punitive attempt rather than a genuine "loss". If they reported him for leaving it on the public highway, there's no way they could prove it was him that moved it, so that doesn't really come off as a good excuse.

There are loads of genuine costs involved in rejecting a car (I wracked up about £600 which the dealer covered), but car storage of their courtesy car doesn't sound like one.

Soldato
I think you will have to show an actual loss.

Rental car easy to show, but storage you have lost nothing, unless you had to pay for parking elsewhere as a consequence.

Back
Top Bottom