Anova Precision Cooker - cook sous vide with your iPhone.

Associate
Caporegime
have just seen that the BT version is £99 on the official site. Can't decide which version to go for! Also, there has been a few different recommendations throughout the thread - but what Zip lock style bags is everyone using?

I believe the wi-fi version is 900W and BT only 800W. So it can handle more water/bigger cooks. I'd spend the extra £20 IMO

Man of Honour
I have both and if only using one I pick up the one that is nearest to me. No difference in any practical sense even with my biggest tub.

Associate
Guys earlier this evening I put on 2 small pieces (0.7kg each) of brisket from Tesco in at 68c for a 24 hour cook (roughly following the chef steps recipe - without the brine). I've just read the comments on CS and SE.. considering how thin my pieces are and very little marbling is there anything I can do to stop it being horribly dry? It's been something like 6 hours and there's already so much liquid in the bags :/

Man of Honour
Did you salt in advance? To be honest for long cooks I don't like going above 60c personally unless I'm going to pull the meat (so to speak). Don't think there's any point in dropping it down now though.

The end result won't be as dry as you're worried about and you can cover a lot of that up by drizzling the jus over the meat just before serving.

Man of Honour
how accurate are these? been looking at ways to make mayonnaise/alioli in bulk, and one method of making it last longer is heating the yolk to 65.6c no idea how precise this needs to be.

and anyone able to translate this into an actual quantity.
The amount of citric acid in lemon juice (bottled or freshly squeezed) is 4.7%. A typical mayonnaise should be prepared with 1 raw egg yolk per 8 ounces of oil and the acid concentration should be 1.4% of the aqueous phase

Associate
Did you salt in advance? To be honest for long cooks I don't like going above 60c personally unless I'm going to pull the meat (so to speak). Don't think there's any point in dropping it down now though.

The end result won't be as dry as you're worried about and you can cover a lot of that up by drizzling the jus over the meat just before serving.

Yup, no rub just seasoned with salt before I put it in (was in a bit of a rush to be honest) - this will work like a brine right?

Man of Honour
how accurate are these? been looking at ways to make mayonnaise/alioli in bulk, and one method of making it last longer is heating the yolk to 65.6c no idea how precise this needs to be.

They claim to hold temperature to within 0.1C but if you're using celcius (on the Anova at least) you can only set it in 0.5C increments. I think you can work around this by switching to Fahrenheit though.

My experience is that the temp is pretty accurate.

Yup, no rub just seasoned with salt before I put it in (was in a bit of a rush to be honest) - this will work like a brine right?

Essentially, yeah. It'll be fine I'm sure :) Though I do find that CS and SE tend to over-salt food compared to my tastes to be careful of adding any more if you apply a rub.

Man of Honour
I've ordered a brisket to do corned beef with https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/nine-day-homemade-corned-beef. Got to plan when to start the brining as I'm travelling quite a bit.

If you EQ brine the timing matters a lot less - you can leave it in the EQ brine for ages without any ill effects. That said, I've only ever EQ cured in a dry brine.

Put in some egg yolks. Drizzle oil until you get the consistency you want. Add lemon juice until it tastes like what you want. Write down the weights at each stage and then scale as necessary.

Pro advice to be honest :)

Associate

Ignore that nonsense. Feel free to try and sterilise the yolks yourself if you want, but personally, you'd be better off buying cartons of pasteurised yolks. Two yolks, or roughly 40 g will emulsify 250 mL of oil with a smidge of Dijon mustard. In the mixer, job done.

Edit:

Aioli is different though. Best made in a pestle and mortar. It's not quite the same otherwise.

Man of Honour
might have solved the issue, terns out you can make mayonnaise from powdered egg yolk, which makes life so easy, make what ever quantity you want, no wasted egg whites. and the rest of the bag lasts ages.

Man of Honour
might have solved the issue, terns out you can make mayonnaise from powdered egg yolk, which makes life so easy, make what ever quantity you want, no wasted egg whites. and the rest of the bag lasts ages.

Hmm...What's the quality like vs fresh egg?

Also, you might find the following quite interesting...

http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/10/...-mayos-bacon-lamb-duck-beef-fats-science.html

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/10/leftover-egg-white-mayonnaise-recipe.html

Back
Top Bottom