BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
just booked my DMS remap for the f10 m5 :) coming next Wednesday

cant wait ..

nice, is this the 730bhp one? I just can't help but feel this will make the car almost undriveable but to get a power boost the equivalent of a mid sized Astra Diesel by nothing more than a remap is quite frankly insane....

Soldato
heck i have no idea if you need to visit them but they are coming to me for this :)

Ah yes I forgot they come out to you. They aren't far from me and dyno the car for free which is why I was thinking of paying them a visit instead of the other way around. A mapped F10 M5 will surely be borderline insane!! :eek::D

Soldato
nice, is this the 730bhp one

? I just can't help but feel this will make the car almost undriveable but to get a power boost the equivalent of a mid sized Astra Diesel by nothing more than a remap is quite frankly insane....
yes indeed, they say around 720 bhp but who's counting haha..

They are only undrivable if your a idiot or inexperienced imo.

I have been a big Audi fan for many years but i couldn't justify the difference of 20k plus on a rs6 compared to a top spec f10 m5.

I have learned that the BMW is really a drivers car, it teaches you to be a real driver, progressive throttle control, steering input, lines etc. For 80% of people it wouldn't work but if your a driver like I proclaim to be you can drive fast and have such a greater feeling than you can in a 4WD high powered Audi.

Yes you cant get away as fast but the experience is so much better i have found, it really makes you feel at one with the car and you appreciate it a lot more

incidentally, if you drive the car in normal mode (traction on) you think jeez this thing spins all the time and traction control really kills everything, in mdm mode life is so much easier even with a bit of slip

Last edited:
Caporegime
Oddly I find the opposite. The M3 does everything so well and you can't drive like a moron and traction control sorts you out.

The low down torque of the turbo M cars does lead to more traction issues in low grip conditions !

720hp sound good though !!

Soldato
Hi Si,

Remembering the roverload and rover tech days haha

Is your m3 manual or auto.

In the m5 the slightest hint of spin and the standard traction kicks and and murders the power for a few seconds, it's actually a bit dangerous if you ask me where your briskly pulling out of a t junction or Round about and your robbed of your power.

This can be said for fast a lane driving too, So for most who are aggressive drivers or inexperienced this would be annoying, it does sort the car out but it is so hard to push on.

MDM mode really looks after this a lot more, you can really let the car go and yes at times there slip, but it's actually a lot less than you realise, you can power up and out of corners so much much easier without traction comming in at all. Incidentally it did cut in once when i was on the throttle to hard to soon and it quickly taught me as i was a tad sideways haha

I am not sure if the m3 is the same. I have seen quite a in depth review over manual Vs dct over the past few days and 3 guys took m3s out in both guises, quite surprisingly they all preferred the manual, mainly for having a lot more control or it felt like it to them.

Tbh it amazes me these sort of cars can be sold to just anybody, regardless of rwd or 4wd the speeds they can do and so fast should be restricted to people who have done additional courses or something, a friend of mine is about to buy a m4 but hes not a driver, he's a poser and I am not sure this type of buyer realises how out of their depth they could find themselves if they stick traction off.

Associate
Tbh it amazes me these sort of cars can be sold to just anybody, regardless of rwd or 4wd the speeds they can do and so fast should be restricted to people who have done additional courses or something, a friend of mine is about to buy a m4 but hes not a driver, he's a poser and I am not sure this type of buyer realises how out of their depth they could find themselves if they stick traction off.
Too true. You only have to look at the large amount of Cat C and Cat D cars on autotrader to realise a few of these are being crashed every week.
My poser neighbour has also just ordered one despite never having a powerful car before and constantly having minor accidents in his Range Rover Evoque. I dont see it lasting too long in brand new condition!

Caporegime
Mines the M3 V8 DCT so probably 'better' for the issues you describe than the later turbo ones. And yes it is ridiculously quick but also hides the speed well so you really have to respect it otherwise you'd end up in a lot of trouble. I drove one at the track several years ago and DCT blew me away, I think the manual box would be a disappointment coming from the S2000 manual box however I do appreciate the better control the manual gives. Certainly easier to launch with manual I think - only because you have much better engine control. DCT is either gun it from nothing, use launch control, or left foot brake to get the revs up a bit before lifting off to go.

Not washed it for a bit, like the slightly grey wheels

D5305194-7224-4E61-BEB2-3773D6A7FEE7_zpsmxupwch5.jpg

Soldato
They keep giving me mine back because they think they've fixed it.

That sucks, complexity of new cars scares me haha.

I picked up a 428i M Sport this week :D. Thinking of ditching the runflats.
What all season tyres would you guys recommend?

I'd say avoid all seasons as they're never good at everything. Get good summer tyres like eagle f1 as3 or Michelin ps4s.

Caporegime
That sucks, complexity of new cars scares me haha.

Thing is I don't think it's anything too complicated, they're just working their way through the likely suspects. So far I've had a complete rear brake removal and rebuild. Its ruled out any damaged parts, sticking parts or components out of tolerance. Trouble is...i told them on day 1 I didn't think it was the brakes. I think it's something to do with the exhaust.

Back
Top Bottom