Wooden Shed

Soldato
I'm looking for a wooden shed and there seems to be various different types (overlap, shiplap, tongue and groove) as well as different thickness of the floor, roof and walls.

It seems that overlap is the basic cheap shed whereas shiplap/T&G are the more expensive end of the market. If they all come with a 10 year guarantee, is it worth paying more for the shiplap/T&G?

Are there any online retailers to steer clear of as the prices seem to vary between each.

Do sheds normally come with something to raise them off the ground slightly? I've seen that you can buy a pre-made base but I wasn't sure if they are for when the shed is on a specific type of ground? Is there any issue with buying a few pallets and knocking one up myself as they seem to be at least £75+ for a 6x4 base which seems daft!

Soldato
I've been looking for a shed too, and looking at some old threads in here I found many people mention Tiger Sheds, they seems to have good prices and are very well rated. I'm opting for a shiplap one, they come with a proper base too.

Soldato
Avoid overlap, useless things :)

Tiger sheds gets my vote too!

Raised batons that come with the shed will be more than enough if laid onto a decent base. Ideally slabs/concrete.

Will last a lifetime if not laid on grass/soil or anything that will soak up moisture and rot the base.

General OSB board can be a bit flimsy that is fitted to the floor, if you can get a thicker one as an option i would go for it.

Associate
That is the one I have (7x5) you wont need a pre-made base if it's going on concrete. The shed has its own floor as jellybeard mentioned so it is raised slightly anyway.

Associate
I got a shiplap Tiger Shed a couple of months ago and can recommend as well. Easy to put up - ours went on a concrete base.

Soldato
Ordered mine today from Tiger Sheds :) 8x6 shiplap apex, should fit down the side of my house nicely. Quite looking forward to it! Those of you that have ordered from Tiger sheds, what sort of delivery time did you get?

Also any recommendations on a wood treatment?

Soldato
Quite a while but never mind, I'm away for a week from a week on Monday anyway.

I didn't see an option for pressure treatment. But quite happy to treat it all before assembly and keep on top of it.

Associate
In the market for a shed - 10x8

Whats the difference with pressure treated shed and why are they much more expensive?

Pressure treated involves the injection of a wood preservative inside the grain of the wood itself. This is usually applied inside a vessel where the preservative is introduced into the vessel under a positive atmospheric pressure +barg. The preservative is forced under the vessel pressure into the wood and thus gives better protection than if it was just coated in the preservative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed582Y2_pjk

Back
Top Bottom